Two Rock, Fuchs or Bruno???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Dec 26, 2005.

1. John55

John55 Member

After listening to every clip I could find, trying every other type/style of amp I could buy/beg/borrow, I have finally decided a $umble type amp is where my quest for tone will ultimately end. The Marshall tone is great, so is classic Fender, but neither one or any boutique clone is really doing it for me in a way that I can be happy with day in and day out. The tones I really want aren't coming out of these type amps! I'm not selling what I have, but my next amp has got to be from one of these three builders. What I'd like to know here is if any one of them is doing something any better than the others.
    Is customer service better? Are the builders equally easy to be in contact with? How about clean tones? Is one significantly better than the others for the OD channel? Do all of them have the various gain/boosts accessible from a foot switch? Do any of them use an FET channel like a $umble has. How about getting them tweaked to suit the owner's liking? I know they are all very capable of the "tone" I'm after, but I'm looking for insight that an owner of one or all of them could provide. Any comments much appreciated.

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I think Bruno only makes 1 dumblish amp and it is pretty $$$
    The Brunos I have played sounded good and were a good interpretation of a particular sound.

I have only played a Fuchs ODS at a guitar show, but was impressed by the feel of the amp

I have a two-rock. The punchy midrange on the clean side with just the right amount of chime is very nice. The OD side has that distinctive smoothness with the presence down a bit, gets a bit more edgy with the presence up. It does need to be opened up a bit to sound its best. - Not overwhelming volume, but more than living room volume.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Haven't played Bruno so I can't speak for him at all.

Both Fuchs and Two Rock have wonderfully sparkley cleans. Customer service is very good with both. I believe the Fuchs Artist option provides more switching options than anything Two Rock offers.

That said, they are not interchangable. I believe that if you played both, you'd end up with a preference for one or the other. I know I did.

4. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

The Fuchs amps I've played were great but after I tried the Em50, I couldn't sleep. Color me Two Rock. :)

6. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

The new Two Rock Overdrive Reverb Signature model has a FET input as well as standard and the fet is footswitchable. That amp also is 100 watts and has a two knob reverb and awesome tone. That is probably the most responsive Two Rock I have ever played.

7. scottl

scottl Member

I played it along with a Custom Reverb Sig and I way preferred the growl of the CR. The ODRS seemed a bit harsher and thinner to my ears. Sounded like more of a 70s topography to my ears. Then again it was at a guitar show and I could not crank it.

I'll also add that I played a brand new production Fuchs last month and it was head and shoulders better than any other production Fuchs I had played in the past.

Seems both companies products continue to evolve and get more and more refined.

8. John55

John55 Member

I have emailed Joe about the new OD signature and he said the OD channel is brighter than the OD on a custom Reverb sig. A bit better to suited to humbuckers because of that. With the FET you can effectively have 6 levels of tone...should be a couple in there that would work! I do know that most of the time I prefer the more mellow, smooth OD tone like Larry Carlton gets, over what I typically hear on Robben Ford's music. But I want to be able to get close to either one, depending upon what I'm trying to do.

Scott- what model of Fuchs did you play that was so impressive? Was it just a new tweak or two the current models will be getting or a completely new model?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

wow,

havent we've seen this thread before? :p

but i'll go Fuchs everytime. most of these other amps are a tad overpriced for me, and the Fuchs hits most tones that i can hear in these other amps. its also smaller and lighter to carry around for constant gigging.

10. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Might want to wait and see what Doug Roccafortes' ODDS sounds like. Or see if that Glaswerk Super Overdrive becomes generally available. Or...

One of the problems with this line of amps is that it always seems to be changing. Drives those of us with OCD-induced GAS (like me) absolutely crazy.

11. Srini

Srini Guest

My Fuchs Princeton ODS mod sounded very good when I first got it, but after a few tweaks (new OT, backing down the internal gain trim pot to practically zero, NOS tubes...hardwood cab and Celestion Century) its potential has really been enabled, and I think its the best sounding amp I've ever had.

In terms of customer service, I couldn't be happier with the way Andy treated me, answered my questions, and shipped the amp out right on schedule.

Srini

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Bruno: not really into the Dumble thing in a big way, although he does build one. Doesn't post here and isn't easy to get ahold of in person. He's by far bigger than the other two, I believe and it shows in response to customer service.

Fuchs: got my Bandmaster mod from someone else, but Andy's been easy to contact and very supportive. Plus he and Scottl are both here all the time, so you can get a response to a question any time. His mods are by far the most cost effective Dumble solution, although if you've got $3k put away for this amp, you've got a lot more flexibility.

Two Rock-lots of different flavors influenced by Dumble, although I'm not sure how many of them would be "clones" in the sense of the same switching options. I believe these are the highest priced out of the box, of the 3. They do have some killer sounding amps, and if Dave's in LaCrosse still has the Em Pro and the Fuchs ODS 30, I liked the Em Pro better in the 1/2 hour I had to compare. Both at $2200 with 212 cab. The TR guys post here regularily, too.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, but if it were me and money was at all an issue I'd go Fuchs. Also, if I wanted a more accurate clone. Money no object, new flavor of Dumble, probably Two Rock.

13. matte

matte Senior Member

14. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Great tune Matte I really enjoyed the Rhythm. The lead playing isn't my style or anything I would listen to but awesome playing non the less. Nice clip.

Chuck

15. cobrakai

cobrakai Member

Good God!
    Wow, you can really play.

16. michaelg

michaelg Member

buy all 3 sell me bruno and two rock at a discount if you do not like :AOK

17. John55

John55 Member

Now that's a plan!;)
    My problem is that there are no dealers close by, so I'll be making an "educated" guess when I do put the cash on the line. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Fuchs or the Two Rock, simply because they offer 50w models and it seems the builders are much easier to contact. The worst that can happen is I'll buy one and not like it, so then sale day arrives. In that case, do any of them seem to resale better than the others?

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had a Fuchs ODS SLX 100 and two Bruno Super 100s. I sold the Fuchs, sold a Super 100 and kept one. I have a newer version with NOS tubes and no effects loop. The "problem" for me on the "Dumble"-style amps is that I like a clean with a lot of high end shimmer, but I like my leads more dark. Its hard to achieve both simulanteously, without fiddling with knobs. The Super I kept is killer, not sure how "Dumble" it sounds, but it really sounds like a great Fender with a killer lead tone. That said, I prefer my Connie or RSA23 for my live amps with a Top Hat Ambassador for cleans. No compromise. I have tried two Two Rocks, I thought they were a bit thin, but in all fairness, I couldn't really get them up too loud on the master.

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

This is why the post OD tone stack of the E.Pro is so cool. Go inside and set the lead channel as bright or as dark as you want it. (No effect on the clean channel) I have a Fuchs SLX and Two Rock E.Pro. The Emmy is more Robben Ford, but the Fuchs is just incredible. The Bruno S 100 (EL34 model) is more 3D than both of them, but not quite as smooth. (I have not played the most recent one.) You cant go wrong with any of them. I did not like the TwoRock Custom reverb or older bruno S 100 6L6.

Bruno is GREAT with customer service. So are Fuchs and TwoRock.

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Hey Tag,
    I think you wound up with my old purple 2x12 Bruno cab that I got from TRADARAMA. I still have a Bruno 2x12 black matching cab for my Super 100.