Two Rock guys- What brand tubes are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by anais, Dec 27, 2009.

1. anais

anais Member

Just popped in a pair of black plate RCA 6l6s and some Telefunken ECC83s in my Type 3.. I really like the JJ GZ34s in the rectifier. The Teles bring a noticeable difference than the the Amperex tubes I was using.. not too sure if its my style, but they do dirty up a bit better. Might try out these Sylvanias I got a few weeks ago. I also did a bit of mixing pre amp tubes with a mullard in V1 before putting in the Teles.. got some cool sounds.

What are you using.. and why?

Anyone mixing pre amp tubes out there?

2. jspax7

jspax7 Member

When I owned an Emerald Pro, I ran a mix of RCA, GE, Mullard, RFT preamps. I still have a couple of Dumble style amps. My basic approach is to find a favorite V1 tube for cleans, then move on to V2 for the overdrive. Aside from that, choosing a good PI tube rounds out the 3 most critical positions. (to me)

Mixing preamp tubes can brighten up the clean channel, darken the OD, or vice versa. No harm in trying different brands.

3. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Check out Tags Dumble thread regarding tubes, should help answer your question.

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I like RCAs but a good, less expensive tube that I think sounds like an RCA is the Tungsol that comes stock in the new amps.