Two Rock Onyx Vs. Custom Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by barryberyr12, Sep 25, 2005.

1. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

A simple question...
    I have not heard many Onyx's...only some clips; there seems to be more clips of the Custom Reverb amp.
    The custom reverb clips in general seem to have this dry vintage...almost stiff kind of feel to them, atleast of what I have heard.
    Although it is a nice sound, I am looking for a more lush, full, more dynamic, sweet kind of sound. Is the Onyx more of this than the Custom Reverb...can somebody shed some light on this for me?

2. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

what wou;d be a good alternative?
    And I tried to download the Onyx clip on the tonegurus website, but it will never uplolad correctly. How can I get that to work?

3. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

maybe you should check out an Opal...

4. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

I find it a little odd that you said if the custom reverb was too dry for me, that the Onyx would be the wrong choice for me.
    Atleast every clip I have head of the Onyx, seemed more lush and less compressed and dry sounding than the Custom Reverb.

5. Timster

Timster Member

clips don't do these amps justice, as there are a number of different tonal possiblities with both amps. You really need to play them to 'feel' the difference.

6. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

yeah i know, but right now I have to go off your guys opinions. There are no Two Rock dealers where I live.

7. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

can somebody who owns an Onyx or Custom Reverb or who's played both help me out with this????

8. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

well said mate.
    I should of said that the I was mainly reffering to the clean channel on the Onyx, not the lead channel.
    Were you mainly refering to the lead channel?
    I want that lush fender clean sound, but with a little more spank, which is what I'm hoping the Onyx is.
    Really the only clip that I heard of the Onyx was the clip off the Indoor Storm website. It sounded pretty nice to me.
    And what do you mean by Hi fi Sounding?
    I would love to hear that Onyx clip off the tonegurus website...I've heard its a very nice sound.
    Thanks!
    barry

9. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

The two Rocks have a very distinct woody kind of sound to them.
    Very nice indeed.
    With the Onyx, is the amp versatile enough to get let's say more spank on it...or less woodiness....etc etc.

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I have owned the Onyx and the Onyx Sig. They are the best amps I've ever owned...that is, best **for me**. Your mileage may vary.

I don't find the Onyx unforgiving, quite the contrary. But I also find the CR a very cool, very sweet amp, so take what i have to say with an understanding that I dig both of these amps.

Unfortunately, words can't really describe what it is that the amps do in your hands, and worse yet, words can be misinterpreted; we all describe sound differently. You need to go and play one. Clips won't work adequately.

I do have several Onyx clips at my studio, and they all sound different. The Onyx is a very easy amp to dial in different kinds of tones with. If you email me, I will send you a couple. Just realize that hearing an amp in someone else's hands isn't like playing one yourself, with your own guitar, effects, speakers, etc.

Les

11. lhallam

lhallam Member

I own an Onyx and have played a Custom more than once.

Toneguru's description is accurate. The Custom has a lot more sag.

12. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Think solid state vs tube rectifier. Tube recitied giving a nice sag to the feel of the attack and solid state being a much faster, punchier attack.

13. Unburst

Unburst Member

Imagine punching a sponge as opposed to puching a wooden block.

An amp that responds more slowly to transients from the player has sag.

14. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

Why does it seem like all of the clips I have heard of the Onyx seem more spongier than the Custom Reverb then?
    I'm talking about the clean channel.

15. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

This, again, is why you MUST play with your OWN fingers and hear with your OWN ears to answer the question as to which is right for you. I understand you don't live near a dealer. Many of us are in the same situation. I have bought many an amp over the years sight unseen after doing extensive research and getting many opinions. Sometimes it was exactly what I expected, sometimes it was a huge disappointment and sometimes it has actually been beyond my expectations.

My point being that even after all the opinions and research in the world only my own ears and fingers could tell me what I needed to know. About the only thing you can do at this point is make an educated guess from your research as to which one is right for you and try to find one used at a price you can resell later if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Even if you had a dealer near you, I personally have never been able to make any kind of conclusive decision on a piece of gear until I was able to use it in my own environment with my own guitars, cabs, cables, etc... In many cases the restrictions you face when trying a piece of gear in a music store makes it no more infromational than internet threads and clips any way. Just my .02. Good luck,;)

16. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Barry, I emailed you the clips.

Call the guys at Two Rock, they give really good advice.