Sold Two Rock Opal prototype!!!

Jack Briggs

Silver Supporting Member
Here we have a very special prototype amp in the TR family history. Built on an Emerald Pro chassis, this is one of 5 or 6 prototypes for the Opal model (as per Chad Mangrum). 50 watts with 6L6WGC-STR output tubes. This one has a switch on the back panel for lead channel local negative feedback which also allows bypassing the HRM tone stack for more gain. Lead channel IMO is more Marshally than Fendery. Think Robben Ford's Blue Line/Tiger Walk era tones. Absolute monster! Easy to tame, however. Cosmetically very good for its age, but no s/n or writing inside the amp, as confirmed by Chad. Comes with new CoverAmp quilted slip cover.

SOLD plus shipping. Professionally packed and insure via FedEx shipping. Check (will have to clear), MO or PP gift. No trades.

Opal Proto 03.jpg

Opal Proto 04.jpg

Opal Proto 08.jpg

Opal Proto 02.jpg

Opal Proto 07.jpg

cheers,

Last edited:

Jack Briggs

Silver Supporting Member
This is a very special amp! Not as compressed sounding as later TR offerings, including the Custom Reverb Sig.

From an email to the owner (for whom I am selling the amp) from Chad Mangrum:
"Yes what you have is the precursor to the Opal amp - which was our "Wireless" amp. One of my favorite amps to build and play. I don't have a stock production model, I have one that I built for myself. As far as the one you, I know it isn't the first Opal proto. Like I said there were 5 or 6 of them. All a little different as we got the sound down. Great amp though. To the tube question - I have in all my amps the JAN 7581s. They are my favorite tube. As long as they are biased correctly don't worry about how hot they get., They get hot!! Take care.."

cheers,

Top Bottom