two rock opal versus Fuchs ODS: your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mentoneman, Mar 5, 2005.

1. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i've played them both and can't make up my mind-

blackface cleans and fusion blues leads are what i'm after. the two rock seemed to have a slightly deeper sound to it on the lead channel.
    fuchs is more affordable.

and sorry tag but i played a few brunos and they didn't have the same impact on me...but still VERY nice!

2. scottl

scottl Member

Dude, it was great hooking up at NAMM. I have some breaking news to fill you in on. Give me a shout on my cell. 856-287-2169

Scott

3. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

word homeslice---i'll be callin!
    your soloway swan/fuchs clip is still haunting me!

4. Rob Livesey

Rob Livesey Member

Now that is like taking sweets to school. If you wanna do that, you have to give everyone in the class some too. Now fess up :)

Rob.

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Which Brunos did you try? Did you have them side by side? If not, IMO, you cant really tell anything. I own all three, sitting right next to each other. The Brunos just plain sound the best. If you live near by, you are welcome to come try them out in person. :)

6. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

ug30 and cowtipper in the same room as the two rock ruby, opal, and custom.

ug30 and custom complimented each other when run clean in stereo, fwiw.

7. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Tag!!!

You own a Fuchs production model with all of the latest revisions? Talk to Scott soon before you solidify your opinion on the Fuchs!

That is all for now.

8. Tag

OK! TOTALLY different amps! You should try a Super 100 before you make any decisions! The other are Dumble style amps. The Brunos you tried are nothing of that sort at ALL. BRUNO SUPER 100 EL34!!!! :dude :dude :dude

9. Tag

I LOVE my Fuchs!

10. BobbyRay

Tag!! Ive heard that you do...Just curious as to wheather or not you've heard the latest revisions. I hope I didn't give the wrong impression, I just feel from the info that I've gotten that their has been some signifigance progress made as of very recently.

11. Tag

Yes, and Im sure it brings it closer to the E.Pro. Still, I LOVE Fords tone, and i have it 100% with my E.Pro. It is all hand wired, has a better clean than any Dumble I have played, and nails Fords Dumble tone. Thats what I wanted! My Fuchs has a more rocked out tone. Very similar to a TwoRock Opal or Custom Reverb. I do not want them to sound similar. :)

12. BobbyRay

Right on Tag! I can definitley undrestand where you are coming from. Thanks!

13. SamN

SamN Member

I can't take this anymore. I'm sending my Fuchs back for the SLX mod (upgrade). Might as well get the footswithch too. My bank account can't take this. Plus, I listened to Tags sound samples of the Bruno, so now I may have to sell my house...

14. Tag

DO IT!!!! Who needs a house when you can have great tone instead!!! :eek: :dude

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

both are great amps,

the opal's internal trims are quite fun to play around with, but honestly, i spend more time tweaking. also, brand new, they feel incredibly stiff and hard no matter the speaker. but broken in, like the one i tried in Ultrasound's Rm. 19, its a killer vibey amp with a very complex and rich midrange.

the Fuchs ODS have a slightly more browner texture, while also a slightly more rascally side. and yet also have this vibey feel right outta the box. i also like the smaller form factor head. also, i thought the gainier tones had a fatter, chunkier feel than the Opal, which sounded a bit more fine and grindy.

FYI, its been 2 yrs. since i last sold my old Opal, and i just got a new 1x12 combo box from Bob Burt for my Fuchs ODS-30.

16. Reactionjackson

Reactionjackson Member

I would really consider both of the amps you metioned in two differend leagues.

By nature of the beast the Opal is going to have high headroom and thick & chunky low end by virtue of its octal preamp section. Even when you push it into high gain it is still extremely dynamic. But, with all of that said the 'no wire' layout combined with the stiff power supply creates virtually no sag whatsoever and I've heard some complain that the amp can be very snappy. I've ever heard some say they feel it is unforgiving because it can really reveal some weaknesses...but if you can learn to work with the amp it has some beautiful and unique territory to stoll through.

The Fuchs is a different beast. While it does used 6L6s and stacked gain it simply isn't layed out the same way and the 12ax7s are going to lend to a more overdriven and compressed sound with a bit more sag.

Not to stray you away from anything your looking at, by any means, but you may want to look into the Two Rock Custom or Custom Reverb if your already looking at Opals. That's going to land you closer to the tone a Fuchs is geared toward.

Hope that helped.

17. Latif

Latif Member

Standard production Opals are don't have octal preamps, just good old 12ax(t)7s. Kimocks was one of a few specials made.

Latif

18. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

awesome comparison!
    i hear lotsa comments about opals being stiff, but i've played two different ones and the last thing i think is stiff!

i've played some terribly stiff dead-tubed marshall based amps, where you desperately wring on notes like you are trying to squeeze the last dribble of spray out of a can of right guard and bend the shaft of the spray nozzle in the process...painful and unrewarding

but the opal is like a new 10 foot tall can of shaving cream!

19. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i appreciate the insight brother-

i think i'm safe to catagorize bruno, fuchs, and two rock in the same catagory of amp, tonally. i've played all three. they mean roughly the same to me in regards to the sound i'm hearing and desiring.

the opal spoke to me the hardest, but i've spent the most time with it. custom reverb is great, just not as magical to me and my touch.

i want to give the fuchs more time though cause the triple bling bling at NAMM was cold sweatin me, and scott L. claims there is even more to glean with a couple of tweaks!

20. Tag

If you are talking about the Cowtipper and UG 30 in comparison to a Fuchs, Opal or Custom reverb, they are polar opposites. Thats like comparing a Marshall TSL to a Fender bassman LTD. The Bruno Super 100 is the only Bruno that is in the same tonal ball park. You should also look into a TwoRock Emerald Pro. Get to Ultrasound and you can A\B\C\D\E\F a Two Rock Opal, Custom reverb, Emerald Pro, Topaz, Bruno super 100 6L6 and El34. I bet you buy the Bruno or Emerald pro. :dude