Two Rock or Fuchs ODS - Who's The Champ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hardys, Apr 21, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I own and really love most of the things about my Fuchs, but as many of you know, the grass is always greener in gear land. I've only been able to check out a Two Rock briefly at Rudy's on 48th St., NYC and while impressive, I never got to open it up. It was a Custom Reverb Sig. So, what are the pros & cons of an ODS-50 or ODS-100 compared to one of the top flight Two Rocks? Am I missing anything with my Fuchs? Are the Two Rocks worth the almost double price of an ODS-50?

2. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Take your amp to Rudy's and compare it with the CR Sig.
    IMO TR's need to be opened up to really deliver the goods.
    I've had several TR's and have never owned a Fuchs.
    So,that tells ya what my prefernce is.
    I've played a few Fuchs ODS amps as well as others in the line but,they just are not for me.
    If your Fuchs does it for you then be happy.

3. hardys

hardys Member

I wish I could take my Fuchs to Rudy's and compare them, but I live in South Carolina.

4. johnzias

johnzias Member

In addition, Two Rocks have to be learned to be experienced. Not a plug and play amp IMO, but once you dial it in, watch out!

5. trap

trap Supporting Member

thats the problem with rudys, it's so small you really can't open it up in there. as for your question.... beats me! :roll seriously, you are opening up pandoras box. i'll tell you right now there are plenty of fans in both camps. get to black creek guitar in new paltz ny and crank that crsig open. they love that there!:D and bring your fuchs too. real nice guys.

6. prsflame

prsflame Member

If you're happy with the Fuchs, my advice is to stick with it, and get off of the gear rollercoaster:D

I've never played a Fuchs, so I can't compare it tonally to the Two Rocks I've played and owned. As another poster suggested, I'd demo the Fuchs and Two-Rock side by side before making a decision.

7. hardys

hardys Member

I'm not able to A/B both amps, 'cause I live in a technological desert! I'd be surprised if a Two Rock was ever in this state. That's why I'm asking for opinions of players who have tried both.

8. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I predict a 50 50 split

THREAD CLOSED

:)

9. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I think once you get to that level, the differences are more subjective, than qualitative.

10. hardys

hardys Member

No Way...threads not closed! :crazyguyI want some opinions of the pros & cons of both...

Come on guys...opinions please.

11. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

There is no "champ", only personal choices....

I've owned both at the same time and preferred the Fuchs, between those two. It was easier for me to dial in and get good cleans and OD tones over a range of volumes. The TR (Custom Reverb) felt a bit stiffer and had more narrow sweet spots, IMHO.

12. Sean French

Didn't see your location.
    The best advice I can give is to buy a used CR Sig and live with it for a while.
    You'll be able to ab your Fuchs with it and take your time to dial in "your sound".
    Then sell the one you prefer less.:D

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have a K&M Custom.
    And a Fuchs ODSLX100.

Dig 'em both.

S>
    j

ps
    I'm on the waiting list for a Glaswerks.
    :)

14. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

He shoots, he scores!

I've played Fuchs that were great (owned a mod that was very nice, too) but for me, it was all over when I played a used Em50 at the San Jose GC while there on business. It was the first time I dreamed about an amp. A few days later it was on a brown truck en route to my house.

Even though I got it for well under $2k it's still far and away my most expensive amp. Since buying it, my tone quest effort has gone into trying to find a less expensive way to get that tone. I have a couple of very usable substitutes (Zendrive and Omega HRDx) but I haven't found anything that actually replaces the Two Rock.

Your mileage may (and likely will) vary. :) Overall, I'd suggest taking Jen's advice: if you're happy with the Fuchs, enjoy it and don't waste time chasing tone. If you happen to come across something you like more, you might want to make a move but I find it to be counterproductive to worry too much about what might be "better" than what you have now. You know that the TRock is in the neighborhood but if it's not head and shoulders better based on your limited experience, move on and chalk it up as an opportunity to play yet another great amp. :)

15. Sean French

My main amp is a K&M Custom #18.
    I've had a Sig V1,Emmy 50 and a E. Pro.
    My Custom is special to me.
    I'm on the Bludotone list myself.

16. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Mine is in the 40's...not sure exactly (I'll check tonite).

Definitely a special amp, in any case.

Plug a strat in, controls on noon (eq2), and let the magic show begin.
    (I also use a TC NOVA System in the loop....sweet.)

:cool:

S.
    j

17. LVC

LVC Senior Member

This thread is destined for an express ride to hell --- but I'll try and keep it positive and real for at least one more post.

2Rock and Fuchs are completely different animals IMHO

1)Two Rock amps I have played have not been very plug and play friendly--- I have heard some very good 2Rock clips on the Gear Page --- personal experience has been vastly different --- maybe I am just not willing to muck around with amp knobs/tubes/speakers etc that much. I am most certainly NOT a tweaker.

2) Fuchs is a plug and play amp. The Fuchs for me is a way more pleasant amp to play and easier to dial in a wide variety of tones. Plug in and you are literally good to go. Very easy to dial in R&B/Blues/Rock/Jazz etc. Extremely "player" friendly. You do not need an engineering degree or a commercial pilot's license to operate the amp.

That being said --- you need to go out and try them for yourself and Play before you pay.

Regarding your price discrepancy comment ---- like I said --- you need to play before you pay --- and lets leave that one at that.

:drink

18. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Two Rock = WAY better cleans with smoother OD from my experience, Fuchs is easier on the wallet.

This used to get beat to death here, I'm surprised it didn't show up in a search...

19. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

I have a E.Pro and a Fuchs ODS SLX. Both are great. I think the Fuchs has a bit more room filling harmonic cleans and a beter vintage rock to it. More depth to the sound. The E.Pro is a bit darker, smoother, records very well and takes me places that I haven't tried before note wise, if that makes any sence at all! Notes swell and sustain a bit better from the E.Pro which makes my playing a bit more bluesy which I kind of enjoy. If you can afford both, you won't need to buy anything more for a while. If you can't, don't loose sleep over it. There is always something new around the corner. There always has been and there always will be.

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Not sure I agree. The two rocks I've played through sound fantastic no matter where you set the controls. I think the two rocks have an incredible, breathy clean that is unparalleled. The Fuchs has the classic Robben tone in the lead channel. They both are fantastic amps.