Two Rock Overdrive Sig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marty, May 23, 2006.

1. Marty

Marty Member

Ok. I did a search of the site and got few bytes. Has anybody here heard what this amp is supposed to do? Anybody actually hear or play through one?
    Just curious as to what the boys had in mind.

I've got a Custom that floats my boat but just wondering.

-marty

2. stevie2600

stevie2600 Supporting Member

Apparently, this is supposed to be a sonic clone of a Dumble Overdrive Reverb, with some shared characteristics of a Steel String Singer. Closest thing you can get to Santana's Dumbles, I've heard. I've been told $10k is the going price.

3. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Closest thing you can get to a particular Dumble Overdrive Reverb that Carlos has borrowed and even Dumble has not been able to make a new one that compares as far as Carlos is concerned,so I am told.

My Bandmate has one and I hear it all the time as well as have played one and I think it sounds spectacular. Amazing amp. Henry Kaiser bought one after playing it and he says it is as good or better than his best Dumble which has 35 years of break in time and really sounds good.

4. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

Is this amp being promoted as a copy of the "particular Dumble Overdrive Reverb that Carlos has borrowed"? How did they get so close? And how is it better than Carlos' other Dumble? I'm curious what you've heard...

5. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Catchy! I'd like to see "Copy of that amp that Carlos borrowed" as the actual name, and on the control panel!

Anyway, knowing the T.R. gents, it's not likely merely a copy of anything. And unless I'm mistaken, that 'borrowed' amp also used to belong to Lowell G.

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I was told it's the Sterling with an added od channel......

7. Erdare

Erdare Member

I've had an Overdrive Sig now for about two months. It is a swiss army knife type monster of an amp that continues to impress. At 100 watts it has miles of clean headroom and a great overdrive as well. I think most of the features are covered on the Two Rock website. I had mine customized with some additional voicing features on the overdrive. I'm re-arranging my setup at the moment but I'll try to post some shots of it soon with a few of its stable mates..the Trentino and a fresh Custom Reverb Sig with the new Signature cab.

Gene

8. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

to others..ie soldano..germino..two rock..etc

9. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

11. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

"And unless I'm mistaken, that 'borrowed' amp also used to belong to Lowell G."

You are mistaken. It did not.

12. Marty

Marty Member

To whom DID it belong?

13. Marty

Marty Member

Gene,

Anything you could share about your impressions is greatfully accepted. I didn't find any information on the Two Rock web site other than pictures and a brief blurb.

-marty

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Did Carlos record with that amp??? Because at the time he was supposedly recording the new CD with Dumbles, I was surprised to think that his tone suffered, when it was released. I preferred his tone with Rob Thomas on that first single, Smooth.

15. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i think smooth was the dumbles as well but i could be wrong.

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

It could be... I seem to recall that Carlos had bought a Dumble right between Supernatural, and the following release .... and that he'd be recording with it.

I just remember not liking his lead tones on that CD at all..... big step backwards from his Supernatural tones....

17. Erdare

Erdare Member

Hey Marty,
    I have always found it difficult to describe the sound of an amp but I'll give it a shot. I'm currently using it in a wet/dry rig because with a great amp, I want a completely unadulterated sound comming out of one set of speakers..in this case 2 Scumbags in a closed back cab. I guess I would describe the cleans as very articulate and perhaps a little brighter than the CRS. With the speakers I'm using, the sound is very focused and complex chords are resolved completely with the sound spectrum being very well addressed at both ends. It has the most sophisticated reverb TR has put into an amp with separate send/returns for clean & overdrive. It also sports a separate FET gain stage which can be toggled in or out on the footswitch to alter the way the amp "sees" the guitar.
    The overdrive is excellent and it is one of only 2 amps I've played that can overdrive a neck humbucker well (the sound of Robben Ford playing Politician). It cleans up with the volume control nicely. It was customized with an assignable mid-boost and a rotary switch in back that alters the frequency of the mid-boost circuit with 6 possibilities. This is usefull for tuning it to different guitars.
    I have always appreciated versatility in an amp used for live situations and this one can do many tricks. I keep finding new sounds with different permutations of settings and they are almost all good. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Gene

18. Marty

Marty Member

Gene,

Thanks for the info.

-marty

19. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I'm with the 'No amp is worth 10k+' side of the fence (I got your back 6thstringmusic). NOTHING sounds THAT nice.

Although to show just how hypocritical I am, I see no problem with a 3k amp...but even that sucker got put on the auction block...

Which is probably why I realize that 'reasonable' is completely in the eyes of the wallet.

But still...

20. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Ahhh . . . the price/value discussions seeps in . . . as the rivets on the plane of this thread start to pop out.

I'm of several minds on the issue (which has been exhaustively discussed in virtually every Dumble or Trainwreck thread), so will leave most of my conflicted opinions out.

But, for general comparison, do some searching and check out what violin/viola/cello bows cost. I'm not talking the instruments, just the bows. Pretty darn expensive for glorified picks!