Two Rock Pedal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deandavis, Feb 18, 2015.

1. deandavis

deandavis Member

Hi all,

With the popularity of Two Rock, and their pricing, I'm surprised someone hasn't stepped up and made a Two Rock pedal. Something that you could put infront of say, a blackface Fender, and really capture that beautiful Two Rock tone for much much less.

Anyone ever have experience with a pedal that might get you somewhat there?

2. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

I see youre on this search too as I was. nothing does that. Not the middleman boost, not the Klon, not the Fromel shape EQ or any other bunch of pedals that are mid boosters. They make a Fender sound pushed yes, but not in a TR way. That mid push in TR's havent been able to be replicated by those pedals that allow you to select a frequency range say 500hz or 700hz. Tried em, in the end you end up spending way more trying to find it than getting the real thing.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. deandavis

deandavis Member

Thanks for the reply! I was so set on getting a Two Rock that I thought I would pause for a second and see if I might have missed a cheaper alternative (e.g. pedal + old Fender). It sounds like it doesn't exist though so I'll go ahead with my Two Rock purchase :)

4. jdh

jdh Supporting Member

Dumbloid will get you very close. However, anyone spending the big bucks on a pedal absolutely must try the Free the Tone Quad Arrows. Maybe not pure D-style, but a serious mofo.

5. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Dean, remember, Mayer uses 2-amp setup, so buying a smaller version of one (1) of his amps is not buying you Mayer tone, also, he uses 3-4 different speakers in his lot of 2x12's, so that plays a big role on his tone. I wish more people with experience would discuss this much more. Ever hear a great stereo receiver sound great through crappy cab/speakers.?.

Not sure what you're playing now, but a "very good player" with Mayer phrasing down can sound very convincing using a Princeton or DRRI. Perhaps one of these amps and a few Mayer-pedals is all you need for condo playing.

If you got money to burn, get a Two Rock, they're great, but if your stuck on chasing that Mayer tone, do it right the first time, buy Crystal 100-watt head and get a 2x12 cab from Alessandro (Mayer uses his cabs). If tight on cash, but have TR GAS you can't pass, buy a used 22-35 watt TR combo with 12-65 style speaker in it for $1,700.00 or less and start here....your gear journey is far from over.

Just a thought.

6. Lance

Lance Member

I believe it's called the Freekish Blues Alpha Drive. :spit

But seriously, the closest thing I've played is the Ethos TLE.

7. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Yup, what he said.

Mayers been seen using DRRI's a lot recently, so thats a good option. T9 mentioned Alessandro cabs. I much preferred Mayers tone when he was using Two-Rock cabs so I'd go for that, but YMMV.

8. Lance

Lance Member

Remember when Mayer played on Chappelle's show? I do believe it was a Line 6 Pod into a Blues Jr.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

saw a demo of DRRI and Two Rock and honestly the DRRI .sounded a Lot nicer to me. The Two rock had a nasal/ mid type thing going on. Reminded me of my old ts9s from the 80's.

10. deandavis

deandavis Member

Thanks everyone! Particularly t9.

T92780 - I'm leaning towards the 50W Crystal and the matching 1x12 cab from TR. Do you think I should have the cab custom built with Celestion G12-65's or will the Gold's do just as well?

Thanks!

11. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Yeah, that's about my budget right now (till I get my girls out of college). A pedal. I've wondered about the Simble Pedal, or the Fuchs Plush Drive maybe.

12. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

In my chase for the same direction, I tried the simble. TGP members seem to love the damn thing but I personally found it to do nothing for me. It's made in the flavor of a specific sound and it wasn't my direction. I got a modded Fuchs and i think that better suits my sound. Dunno if that was ANY help at all for you though.

13. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I only own 12-65 style speakers and EVM12l, so no background with a Gold. If you want a matching looking cab for looks, understandable, get Crystal with Gold to start with, it's all wired up correctly out of box....ready to rock. Seems all agree Gold can be a little bright sounding when new, but in 40-60 hours starts to warm up tonally, be patient, adjust amp settings to offset. On that note, don't use your eyes when adjusting tonal settings on a TR, it's rarely everything set at 12pm kind of amp. As volume goes up, bass level goes down for me, etc. So perhaps Treble might be only set to 9-10pm and Contour at 10pm with new Gold....IDK.....be patient, TR take a little time to dial in, as will Gold to break in...don't panic early on if not in love.

Mayer is seen here using both Gold and 1265 with his TR. Maybe the Gold helps balance his tone ...IDK, but a Gold cant be bad, TR put it in cab, Mayer uses them.....go with it for 6-12 months, if want a change to 12-65, cost only $150, call Chad at TR to ask if you need to know anything first with wiring 1265 8 ohm speaker to Crystal cab, etc...done.

Get a good speaker/head cable, don't go cheap here. Evidence Audio Siren 3' cable is very good and easy to buy online. Make sure to have speaker cable hooked up to head and cab before turning on amp!! Make sure to use good guitar cable if not doing so already, anything from Tony at Evidence Audio is great, as is pedal connect cables, etc. Outside that, hook up a few Mayer pedals and have lots of fun.

[​IMG]Mayer Cabs by t92780, on Flickr