Two Rock Sensor vs Dr. Z Wreck???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RockNacional, Mar 11, 2015.

1. RockNacional

RockNacional Member

Hi there!
    Here is my situation: I had an unexpected bonus and decided to buy my dream amp... now the problem is that my dream involves 2 of them. And I can only afford one.
    I know they are completely different, both insanely good, non-comparable amps... but if you had to pull the trigger, which one of these 2 would you choose and why?
    BTW, I play at home and bars/cafes/parties, pop, rock, some blues, nothing super heavy. Thanks!

2. Joe Black

Joe Black Member

It's funny -- while not a Z-Wreck/Sensor comparison, per se, my old guitarist had a Two Rock and a Dr. Z. Sometimes he would run them both, which was -- frankly -- over the top. That said BOTH sound amazing and I'm not sure you can go wrong with either. Plenty of guitarists with ridiculous tones play them (Mayer, Paisley, etc.) You'll probably get a bunch of responses of alternative options that are just as good, i.e buy vintage...to answer your question, however, I'd probably drop the coin on the Z-Wreck. I think it probably has a little more balls to it, I don't really play very prestine/loud clean (D-style) and the dynamics on the Z seem to really jump the notes off the fretboard.

Complicating matters: you could probably say the same about the TR. HA!

3. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I'm a Two-Rock fanatic, but in this case I'd go for the Z-wreck, its AWESOME.

Be aware though, its loud, and has to be turned up full to reach its full potential.

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I think the ZWreck is an EL84 amp, in which case I'd buy the Two Rock Sensor, which has fantastic cleans and can do balls to the wall gain. I think the Sensor has either 6v6 tubes or 6L6. The small 6v6 Sensor sounds fantastic.

I've never played a ZWreck, so take my advice with a grain of whatever. But I owned some Wreck clones and they all had EL84 tubes which I don't really like...too thin and brittle sounding IMO. Even though the Sensor has a Marshall flavor, the cleans are Two Rock American based cleans, big and bold and soulful. The lead channel is off the charts good.

YMMV.

5. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Two-Rock. The Wrecks are awesome but need to be insanely loud to do what they are famous for. I'm talking 50w Plexi on 7-8 kinda loud...

You could always buy both and resell/return the one that you like less.

6. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

+1 for turning the ZWreck to get it to its full potential...from personally experience I would also recommend demoing one with your pedalboard to see how it gels with your pedals, it can be finicky IMO

7. RockNacional

RockNacional Member

Thanks for all the opinions and the votes. Tight poll! As I read and listen I am leaning towards a 6v6 22W Sensor. I really love the Wreck concept and sound and sounds, but I don't see a stadium or country club soon enough in my future... so I may need a master volume. All my non-master volume amps are in the closet, being missed, but in the closet.
    Plus, a few effects are essential to what I am trying to play, and the effects loop in the Sensor is very nice and advanced.
    If anyone thinks that after considering volume and effects I should still do the Wreck, say it outloud! And thanks to all!

8. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

With either amp consider an attenuator.

9. GasMask

GasMask Member

I would go with the Two-Rock. It will be more versatile, and also have a master volume. It has more tone shaping options, and an effects loop too. The cleans will also nicer for my tastes. They are both well built amps. The Z will be very loud to hit the sweet spot, and be much more of a one trick pony. Someone who uses pedals for their lead tones might prefer it though. I'm sure it's a very brash rocking amp. As you mentioned, these are very different amps, so it really comes down to style, taste, and features needed. Because these amps are so different, I suggest really thinking long and hard about what you want out of the amp before you buy it. There's a big difference between trying to decide between 2 nice sports cars, and trying to decide between a sports car or a pickup truck.

10. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

Two Rock all the way. I'm already planning my next two rock purchase. None of the amps I've owned or tried sound as good as a two rock.

11. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Get the one that can sound beefy at lower volumes and use some good organic juicy-sounding pedals (Greer Lightspeed/Southland, etc.). The Wreck might be the stuff of dreams at blistering volumes, but you may never get to use it in that manner. The Two-Rock on the other hand may not sound anywhere as good as the Wreck (my experience with master volume amps hasn't been the greatest).

Both may just sound killer at lower volumes with pedals, I've never played one.

I would not own the Wreck as my only amp, or only really good amp. If that's the case, I'd pick the Two-Rock.

12. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

If I were you I'd buy that Sensor in the Emporium for $1900. You'll appreciate the 50 watts and a head gives you the choice to trying different cabs. Plus that one was owned by Joe, one of the cofounders of Two Rock, so you know its a good one! I don't know the seller, but I know a good deal when I see one.

13. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

Which specific model Two Rock and Dr Z did your old guitarist run at the same time Joe? Sounds like an interesting stereo combination....curious to learn more details about your experience with that.

14. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

The two rock will give you preamp distortion and the z-wreck power amp distortion. I prefer the second BY FAR!! use an attenuator if needed but power tube distortion is more: musical and dynamic and toneful by the way.

15. Haz

Haz Member

I have TR Sensor 22W. It has a lot of gain, but I would go with bigger wattage. Haven't played 35W but I think bottom end is more tight and that's what my 22W lacks on bigger volumes. I use lower wattage speakers G12H55Hz and V30 to get more low end compared to 2x[​IMG]V30 for example. It's modern sounding highgain and also has a good cleans. Distorition is more towards Mesa Rectifier than Marshall. Also it has Expansion which is good from the noon position towards the max but bad and shrill on low positions.
    I would say I love the amp and will keep it. But I would prefer 35W version if I had a chace to choose.

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

How bout a Dr Z EZG50...it's my favorite!

17. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've not played a two rock, but I see a lot of folks saying you can't play the Z without blowing doors off. I've had the Z for about 6 months and it really is a great amp. While it's not a bedroom amp, I use it in a basement for practice and used it last night for a medium sized gig for practice with no problems. In the demo section I have a clip of it with a paisley drive and LP jr, it's bad ass. It loves the paisley drive. Angle the amp away from you and it fills up the room nicely without being blistering.
    I use it for chickin pickin clean, and it's got a really nice punch to it. Being EL84, it's not crystal clean but it's a nice open full sound.

18. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Really? Can you explain why the Two Rock will not provide power amp distortion and why the Z will not provide preamp distortion, assuming both are set correctly.

I have a Two Rock and if I keep the preamp gain down and dime the master I get some wonderful thick smooth power amp distortion (both 6L6 and 6v6 tubes).

19. hotmod

hotmod Member

Of the two brands I'd go for the dr z, I just love its approach to guitar sound and I think his designs will become classics.

20. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have a ZWreck head, but no cabinet/speakers for it.

What would you ZWreck owners out there recommend for a:

112?

212?

S.
    j