Two-Rock Shoot Out: Type II

Presc

Some folks dig that tube rectification, personally, I dig the stiffer feel of the 100 watter without it. I guess it all depends on what you're going for- with your gig, Gil, you need something a bit more versatile, and to my ears, the 50w tube rectified amps, as good as they sound, give something up in trade for the harmonic "squishiness" they give in return.....and I think we have similar ideas on "our" tone.
Definitely - I come from the Fender camp (play a Deluxe Reverb) and like the squishy, bouncy tone. I don't like overly tight or stiff amps. So no surprise that I liked the Type III more!

Just to clarify I hope I didn't come off overly critical - I liked the clean clips of both and really appreciate the effort you are going through to put this together!

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
I know you weren't being harsh and appreciate the frankness! I will turn off the FET and do some again.

The FET is useful as a lead gain at stage volumes- it does and will sound "fizzy" at lower volumes, but works great as a lead boost when you get these amps cookin'!!!

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Definitely - I come from the Fender camp (play a Deluxe Reverb) and like the squishy, bouncy tone. I don't like overly tight or stiff amps. So no surprise that I liked the Type III more!

Just to clarify I hope I didn't come off overly critical - I liked the clean clips of both and really appreciate the effort you are going through to put this together!
Yep, this is exactly why these comparisons are so difficult to do. Inevitably, they will be praised by some and criticized by others as they don't meet the requirements of each individuals ears......but man, this stuff is FUN!!!

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member

I don't think you're being overly critical- this is about each of our opinions on this, right?? You likes what you likes!!!

I love the old Fender stuff- I can get into that territory with speaker choices on the TR stuff, for the most part- the mix of a Scummie and an ASW is sublime.....you get the tightness and the looseness all in one! Its hard to explain, but I like a tight amp and a loose speaker box (insert analogies here!), if that makes sense. I get the best of both worlds....especially when you get these babies SMOKIN'!!! :bong

jdisaster

Yeah thanks again Travis. From the clips, I also liked the Type III by a wide margin. I'm curious to hear if TAG is right about the FET. Makes me wonder about my Classic Reverb, cuz some days I love it, some days I think it could be better somehow. Hard to put my finger on it, but "solid state sounding" fits the description. I wonder....FET....practice volume...hmmm...good tip TAG, thanks!

Last edited:

phillyred79

Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks for the clips TW!! I think they both sounded great. IMHO: The biggest differences I'm hearing are with the Strats- The 10th seems to have a little more presence with focus on slightly brighter high freqs while the Type 3 sounds a little more boomier/warmer. I think for an all out winner as to cleans I would give the nod to the 10th. Crunch/Lead stuff is very very close to my ears between the two. I dare say the 10th is voiced a little more modern/gainy. I can't decide on which is better to my ears. I think either way, the amps are similarly voiced to a degree and I would imagine considering they were EQ'd the same I bet you could get them to sound even closer to each other with just a little fiddling.

The question of the day for you TW is what do you hear/feel and ultimately as of right now which do you prefer and why?

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
The way you have these amps set up for strats vs. LP's will make a HUGE difference too- input gain on the amp and the contour will play a massive role in the tones you get from guitar to guitar. Does anyone keep their amp at the exact same settings when going from a Strat to a Les Paul??? For the most part, I seriously doubt it, so from that point, the comparisons are going to be inherently flawed to a degree....

I would suggest getting the best possible tone out of each amp, optimized for each guitar and maybe explaining what exactly is the tone you're going for- maybe give an example of that tone.

traviswalk

In the Great State
I would suggest getting the best possible tone out of each amp, optimized for each guitar and maybe explaining what exactly is the tone you're going for- maybe give an example of that tone.
That's actually what I was going to shoot for tonight, get what I think is the strong tone out of each vs. the 'set at noon on each and let it ride'. In person, I prefer the 10th vs. the Type III, the gain is easier to dial in and I will agree at the higher gain the Type III is a bit more 'modern' and smoother.

The 10th does an interesting thing on the cleans, if you crank the (clean)Master on the Type III on the clean channel it will begin to distort and get a nice crunch accompanied by some high, high volume. If you dime the (clean) Master on the 10th it reacts almost like a Custom Clean/Sterling Sig where it just delivers volume to a point without being taken over by the crunch, a very cool effect that delivers the great clean at loud volumes. It wasn't an unbearably loud clean volume like the Sterling can get to, perhaps that is due to the 50 watts, but it sounded really nice and brought in more power tube character.

ohshait

The Type III cleans are the ****! Am I the only one that digs the FET with a strat? Any way a CRS can get in that ballpark? Thanks so much for doing clips.

phillyred79

I enjoy the use of the FET as well. Works wonders to push the amp harder. The only way a CRS can get in the ballpark is to dial up the gain a lot on the clean channel, toggle the mids, and engage the bypass.
The Type III cleans are the ****! Am I the only one that digs the FET with a strat? Any way a CRS can get in that ballpark? Thanks so much for doing clips.

ohshait

I enjoy the use of the FET as well. Works wonders to push the amp harder. The only way a CRS can get in the ballpark is to dial up the gain a lot on the clean channel, toggle the mids, and engage the bypass.
How would you describe the cleans of the CRS v2 to the Type III besides the feel? Sorry for the questions I'm debating on buying a Type III or a CRS.

phillyred79

I play mainly strats/teles, but with everything EQ'd the same between the two and switching back and forth to my ears the CRS has more high end sparkle and feels stiffer. The Type 3 is bouncier, warmer and I would say has more clean headroom overall. The reverb on the CRS is very nice though too!
How would you describe the cleans of the CRS v2 to the Type III besides the feel? Sorry for the questions I'm debating on buying a Type III or a CRS.

Tag

Here are clips of the Type III, Custom and Custom Sig1 if it will help. Did not do the cleans on the sig or Custom sorry! The Type 3 is more Scooped than the Sigs to my ear. Look forward to hearing Travis's take on them! No FET on in any of the clips!

Type III http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=121826&content=videos&vidID=77276

Custom and SigV1 http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=121826&content=videos&vidID=80760

Tag

Thanks Tag, love the clips that you do. What didnt you like about the CRS?
Thanks. I did not dig my Sig V2 as much as the V1. The V1 I did not dig as much as the plain old Custom. I still have the Custom, Type 3, and am looking to get another E.Pro. Those are my favorite 3 twoRocks. I have not played a 10th yet however, but for my style, Bill recommended the TypeIII. Thats why I went with it instead of a 10th. I like the smoother, more refined tones. Bill told me the 10th was slightly more aggresive, which is what everyone else seems to be saying as well. The clips sound very similar to me though.

lukeII

I liked the Type III better on all clips. Granted the clips didn't deliver optimum tone out of the amp (unless you are great with micing amps that's a hard task for a mortal TGPier) but from what I heard the Type III is livlier and less compressed on the clean tones and the dirty tones sounded more natural and less compressed out of the Type III whereas the 10th anniversary tones sounded more percussive and bold and bought a harsher mid frequency.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the clips. It's hard to tell because I don't think the eq settings were optimized for either amp, but I'm surprised that I liked the cleans on the 10th Ann. more than the Type 3. I agree that they sound more like the cleans on the Custom Clean than the cleans on the Type 3. For me, there's no comparison on the overdriven tones...the type 3 wins hands down. Before hearing the clips I would have thought the opposite.

Do the contour controls make as much of a difference on the 10th Ann. as on the Type III? The contour on the lead channel on the Type III makes all the difference. It's really amazing how the amp changes personality.

More clips please, with the eq optimized on each amp.

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the clips. It's hard to tell because I don't think the eq settings were optimized for either amp, but I'm surprised that I liked the cleans on the 10th Ann. more than the Type 3. I agree that they sound more like the cleans on the Custom Clean than the cleans on the Type 3. For me, there's no comparison on the overdriven tones...the type 3 wins hands down. Before hearing the clips I would have thought the opposite.

Do the contour controls make as much of a difference on the 10th Ann. as on the Type III? The contour on the lead channel on the Type III makes all the difference. It's really amazing how the amp changes personality.

More clips please, with the eq optimized on each amp.
Yes, the contours make a HUGE difference. Love having them on both channels- that's a wonderful thing.

The Type 3 dirt channel is great, but it was almost too smooth for my tastes- I like a little more grit and my 100 watter 10th does it nicely.
I'm still trying to get used to the reverb on it.

wec

Gold Supporting Member
I agree about the contours on the Type 3. They do make a huge difference. Also, the negative feedback switches make a dramatic difference in the tone, response and feel of the amp. They can really change the character of the amp and how smooth or open sounding it is.

Trending Topics