Two Rock Sounds Dull....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JoeB63, Mar 8, 2006.

1. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

The amp sounds great, but dull - like the brightness is gone. Is it time for new power tubes, or have I killed the high-end of my hearing, or is it something else?

Thanks!

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Was it brighter before? Change anything? Sounds like it's gotta be tubes, and I'd change anyway to either confirm the culprit, or eliminate that possibility. AC

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Try the preamp tubes,PI and effects loop tubes 1st-then if that doesn't work,spring for a new set of 7581A's and a biasing by the tech...GFM.
    I had a weak V1,V2 and replaced them at Bill Krinard's suggestion and amp tone was MARKEDLY improved.
    PS-use NOS Telefunkens if you can afford them-they are amazing!

4. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Thanks guys, you were right. It's the effects loop. I unplugged the loop and all was well. Time for a re-tube.

5. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

:( I had the same thing happen to my CR. Tried a bunch of tubes in the V1 with no success. JoeM told me I should send it out for them to go through.(It bought it new just over a year ago.) They should have gotten it today. I never even thought to change the effects loop tube. I keep forgetting that these style amps use the effects loop differently.

Wish I would have seen this before shelling out $75 for shipping.
    I miss it a lot too.

Peace,
    duffy