Two Rock SP 35 - Best Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deandavis, Feb 3, 2015.

1. deandavis

deandavis Member

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a Two Rock SP 35, and I'm looking for some advice on cabs.

I've done a bit of digging here on the forum and found a few recommendations re: the best cabs - but most of these recommendations were very dated.

As such, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cab that will help give me that warm and dark tone that John Mayer gets out of his Two Rock? I'll be playing mostly in a small space so I'm thinking a 1x12 would be best, but I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks,
    DD

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

3. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

If you can find an old Two-Rock Sig 1x12 that's a tremendous cabinet and works great with either a single 12-65 style speaker or an EVM-12L. I stupidly sold mine!

4. deandavis

deandavis Member

Thanks traviswalk! Two questions:

1) Why do you recommend an older Two Rock cabinet vs. their current offerings?

2) How do you identify an older Two Rock cabinet? Do they have a certain speaker, construction, labeling..?

Thanks

5. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think he's talking about a Signature cabinet as opposed to a regular Two Rock cabinet. I'm not sure that Two Rock is still making the Signature cabinets anymore. They may be, but I don't see them on their webpage.

6. deandavis

deandavis Member

Thanks for the info Rusty! Any ideas as to how the Signature Cabinet differs from their current 1x12 offering?

7. deandavis

deandavis Member

8. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

I don't know their older cabs, but there current 1x12, especially with the WGS speaker sounds wonderful! Not cheap, but think the quality is also obvious.

9. deandavis

deandavis Member

ami-vienna: I'm not familiar with the WGS speaker? Their current 1x12 offerings only seem to include the Celestion G12H-75 or the Alnico Golds ($200 upcharge).

If I'm looking for that warm/dark tone like Mayers which do you guys think would be a better fit with the TR SP-35? The Alnico Golds or 75's?

10. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

I have G12m-65 Creambacks in both my 1x12 and 2x12 Two Rock cabs and they sound wonderful. The Alnico Gold is too bright for the Mayer stuff unless you let it break in for 50-60 hours, but even then I think the Creambacks are better.

11. deandavis

deandavis Member

Thanks Shadow. Are the G12M-65 Creambacks similar to the G12H-75 other than the wattage tolerances and H-magnet? The frequency response graphcs for the G12M-65 look a bit better:

G12M-65
    [​IMG]

G12H-75:
    [​IMG]

Any experts out there care to way in? :)

12. mathiassiv

mathiassiv Member

I'd go for a 2x12. Two-Rocks works at any volume so you shouldn't worry about that (IMO). Got G12-65's in my TR Crystal cab.

13. deandavis

deandavis Member

Thanks for your feedback mathiassiv. Right now I'm leaning towards the 1x12 only because I'm an at-home player and I think this more than meets my needs.

However, I am curious as to what speakers to put in the cab. I'm considering getting the stock Two Rock cabinet with the Celestion G12H-75's.

Can anyone provide some feedback (no pun intended) as to whether these will give the warmth and darker tone I'm looking for?

14. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

I don't know having not tried them, but I can say that the tone you're after is completely achievable with the G12m-65s. Two Rock were putting these in all of their cabs until recently.

15. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I can say that the stock Creamback that came in my TR SP 22 combo is one of the BEST sounding speaker/cabinet sounds I've ever heard. Simply amazing tones.

I'd say any Two Rock cab with the Creamback would make you a happy player!

16. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

In the new series they use the Gold, but when the Studio Pros came out they had a WGS made custom speaker for Two Rock. It is based on a WGS et65 with a bit larger magnet, and is excelent, as is the standard et65.

17. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

It's probably best for you to email Chad at Two Rock. Tell him the sound you're looking for and he'll give you an honest answer. Email is: chadm@two-rock.com