Two Rock speaker choices & favorites? Which Eminence do they use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bjm007, Jan 1, 2006.

1. bjm007

bjm007 Member

1) What's your favorite speaker in a 2x12 open back cab for use with a Two Rock Custom Reverb head?

2) Does anybody know which model of Eminence speaker that Two Rock uses in their cabs?

This pic is off their website, and they say it's an Eminence 12-65 with a 100 watt power handling capacity.

Is that a custom speaker or a re-labeled off the shelf Eminence?

[​IMG]

2. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

Supposed to be custom. A lot of folks claim it sounds a lot like a Red, White and Blue or maybe a bit of a Texas Heat. Somewhere in there.

I can say that when I owned the TR, I went through several speakers before I ended up just throwing my hands up and getting the TR 2x12. I had played several of their amps at their place in CA and my CR never sounded like the one there in CA. Getting the 2x12 was a good move. They really do go together.

3. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

IMHO, there are only a couple of "good" choices.
    • The TR12-65/Emi R,W & B's = All around excellent choice for TR amps (Swiss Army Knife speaker). Smooth, never harsh, no sound coloration, no cone cry and does not flub out, if you are into the R. Ford thing - this is your ticket.
    • The Emi Red Coat "Tonespotter" = Designed after the Celestion 1265 and has a Celestion quality to it's tone. Brighter than the TR12-65, thinner cone and a bit more responsive. It will cone cry on you especially in a 1x12. Best to use in a 2x12, less issue of crying.
    • Fane 12AXA (Alnico 100watts) = Seems to be the best of both worlds (above choices), a bit less efficent than the ceramic's. Fiberglass reinforced cone, have not expericenced any crying issues - some stated that they have. My personal fav, sounds best in an open back cab.
    The first two speakers are offered as original equipment for TR's. Joe & Bill know their product better than any of us! The Fane use to be offered by TR, but it is a high dollar speaker. IMHO, these are the only choices unless you want to waste your time and money seeking. The vast majority of TR owners will have these speakers. I have been threw them all and I currently own all of the above with my TR CR Sig. Normal Celestions (V30's, G12H30) are to "ice picky" sounding. As usual with any TR questions or problems - call or email Joe at Two Rock. He is the best and he will go out of his way to help or offer an explanation. Good luck! :D

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

According to the e-mail I recieved from Eminence, the closest STOCK Eminence speaker to the Two-Rock TR-65 is the Red, White, and Blues. The e-mail also went on to say that the Two-Rock TR-65 is a custom made speaker that is a cross between the Red, White, and Blues and the Tonespotter. I have a pair of each, (Tonespotter and Red White and Blues) and both offered GREAT tones in my 1978 Super Reverb 2 x 12 (modded) with my Zendrive and my LP when I was using that combination for the Robben Ford thing. The Red, White, and Blues are clearer, punchier, and brighter than the Tonespotters (quite Jensen like actually) but they have more of a "mid" presence than I remember the Jensens to have. The Tonespotters have a "rounded" top end (NOT to much sparkle if you're looking for that), GREAT mids, and quite a BIG low end. Although I liked both quite a bit, I did favor the Tonespotters in the end. My SR is currently having the Fuch's mods performed on it, and the Tonespotters will be the first speakers that I try with the amp when it returns.

Chuck

5. tybone

tybone Member

Well, Kog just about covered it all as far as the eminence speakers go. I do like the G12h30's but they are a bit brighter than the TR-65 style speakers. Tone Tubby Alnico (hemp or paper) to a pretty good job too. Both cone types tend to have smoother highs due to the roll off in the top end response. I am going to try a pair of Cannibis Rex and a Pair of TT paper cones in a 4x12 once the cab is finished.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

The TR cab with their speakers is really a great combination. It's what I used with my Onyx and Onyx Sig, and it's hard to beat.

7. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i'm using a TR 2x12 cab with an emi wizard/tonespotter mix. the wizard/t-spotter combo has tons of low end emphasis, and neither speaker really showcases the sweet top end of the CR the way a more "american" voiced speaker might. overall it's real nice , but based on what people are saying about the RWBs, maybe i'll give that a shot too. i've also tried texas heats, although it was in a closed cab, and they were very smooth as well. probably would have sounded even better in an open cab

8. Mike

Mike Member

I've been thru (from dark/stiff to bright/responsive):

Swamp Thang
    Tonker
    Celestion 12-65
    TR65
    Fane Alnico (3 years since I played these so this from memory)
    G12H-30
    Tonespotter

... in varying cabs, 1x12 and 2x12. List list is not the total, but these are the ones that lasted more than a week. Others included Weber California, Harry Joyce, EV's, Altec 417b, Wizard. Noteworthy speaks, all.

I really loved the Tonespotters in a 2x12, but they still cried.
    The 1x12 or 2x12 TR65's are the way to go. Best of all worlds, no issues.

Mike

9. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

What's the SPL for the two rock speakers? Are they louder then the Tonespotters?

10. bjm007

bjm007 Member

11. jockman

jockman Member

I have recently put a C-Rex in my amp, (1x12 combo).
    I decided on it after descriptions here and other forums, and with the soundclips above, all I can say is, for me and my amp, it is PERFECT.

12. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I had good luck with swamp thing, texas heat.
    I like the Tonker too, but it is almost too much in a trock
    - better in a Fenderish amp to my ears.
    I have a Tone spotter, but not enough time on it to say

of course an old Ev is pretty good too, but back down the presence a bit

13. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You guys....give a pair of HP Scumbacks a try and you'll never go back-the best sounding Celestion type speaker on the planet...I can't believe we are talking Eminence...I think Joe actually used some Celestions to clone the 2Rock speaker and IMO-they aren't even close to the Scumbacks-not even close(Sorry,Joe and Bill).I have been using them with my K&M Custom 50 with loop for about 6 gigs and they seem to just keep getting better with age....Tone to Ya'll,
    GFM

14. gec78221

Wich scumbacks are you using?

15. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

GFM got the H75-8HP model for his 50 watt Two Rock.

16. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Do you think it matters much what the impedence of the cab is?

I'm going to try the Eminence Red, White and Blues in a 2x12 based largely on talking to a zillion people (and Two Rock) and it seems that is the closest speaker the one in their own cabs.

I've got a bunch of other 16 ohm cabs and it would be convenient to have this one be 16 ohms as well. I think the Two Rock cabs are 8....

Anybody willing to venture a guess whether or not a 16 ohm 2x12 cab is going to sound appreciably different than an 8 ohm cab?

17. gec78221

GFM,
    Do you have any clips?

18. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Best in my book:
    1)TR 1265's...112 or 212
    2)Fane AXA Alnico 100W...killin' in an open back 212 cab.
    3)EVM12L...heavy to haul around, but wow, the tone is killer too. I would think a 112 cab with an EV would be very sweet.

S>
    j

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Nope,I currently do not have the time as I am doing a lot of live dates,I am supposed to be doing some recording(pre-production in about 3 months or so),but currently I am trying to get the required 20-30 break-in hours that Jim Seavall has suggested.The upper mids and high of my sound seem to be improving (read sweeter/woodier sounding) with each time I play the Scumbacks.The guys in my band and other local players are very impressed with what I have going on tonally.:cool: SouthBay Ampworks are great people to deal with and are working on getting their new website/clips happening.They will be getting a word of praise or two in the credits of the next record among other corksniffy bastiges...:rolleyes:
    For what they cost,they are well worth it and can be sold for almost what you pay for them if for some unknown reason you didn't like them..Good Luck!

20. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

My brother,I have the EVM12L and swapped it for the Scumbacks,tried a FANE(too barky),and tried the TR1265's 2x12 cab...they do not hang with the Scummies....still got yer Custom?:JAM