Two Rock Sterling Signature! (Clips added)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StratStringSlinger, Dec 22, 2009.

1. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Fortunate new owner of Two Rock Sterling Signature #2! Thanks to fellow TGP member DSPBlues for selling me the amp; excellent seller. I had to sell some good gear to fund the purchase but I think in the end it was well worth it. Plus my Les Paul went to another TGP member, another great guy. I only got to play it very briefly because we have family over for the holidays. My first impression is that this amp is exactly what I hope it would be. With minimal tweaking I got a very gorgeous clean tone. Here's a picture of my new baby...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

I really like that Blue Face Plate with the Diamond Cloth.

3. StratStringSlinger

Yea the blue face plate is growing on me for sure. Normally I like the understated look but in this case it's kinda fun. I was thinking of getting a second head case for it in medium dark grey suede so that the original can be kept nice when I take it out. I think the dark grey and blue face might go well together.

4. SRVBlue

SRVBlue Member

5. StratStringSlinger

Yea, I feel like one lucky dude right now. All due to TGP! Thanks to TravisWalk too for helping to hook the seller and I together.

I was just playing it; just swapped out the Ruby 12ax7 in v1 with a Tung Sol U.S.A, whew!

6. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

No problem Wayne, welcome to the club!!

7. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Congrats! That's my favorite looking TR. I love that color/combination. Bet it sounds killer (like traviswalk's demo's). Now you just need to track down a matching cab.

8. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on your new amp. :)

9. StratStringSlinger

Once again, thank you for everything. Thanks for sending along the original JAN Phillips 6L6WGB's; The two different sets of power tubes sound quite different. I'll take great care of it and play it a lot!

I'm curious where all the other Sterling Signatures are? There are 12 of them. I know Bill and Joe each have one and Mayer has two, that leaves 6. Any other TGP members with these things?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  10. STRATSofPLENTY

STRATSofPLENTY Member

i have one, its my fav amp

11. StratStringSlinger

Glad you found this thread. Another TGP member, Sam Cannon, also has one. That's four out of ten accounted for by TGP members. From what I understand there were 10 sold with serial numbers and 2 not sold (owned by Joe & Bill).

P.S. Please post pics, clips, and/or reviews/findings if you have them.

Thanks.

12. bettset

bettset Member

looks good--clips coming? :munch

13. davros

davros Member

Awesome!

I'd like to hear your impression of the differences to the CR. A clip would be fantastic too, if you have the inclination.

D

14. StratStringSlinger

I'll report back in about 6 to 8 months on a full review since that's usually how long it takes me to really figure out an amp. If anyone can PM me some tips for making videos or clips that would be cool to. I do have a camcorder but not sure if that's an acceptable method to make clips (i.e. do people usually mic the amp).

As for first impressions, first I should put up the disclaimer that my Classic Reverb is a 50 watter while the Sterling is 100 watts. I have Sylvania 6L6GC's in the CR and JAN Philips 6L6WGB's in the Sterling. I haven't begun to try out different tubes in the Sterling. I do notice that power tubes seem to make quite a difference in tone on these amps (as oppose to say a Matchless C-30 where I didn't find as much difference on the power tubes as much as tube changes in other positions such as the preamp and PI). On the CR changing from RCA's to Sylvania's made the amp completely different; Sylvnias alot smoother (not necessarily better sounding but I left them in there b/c I wanted that smoother sound). Unfortunately I don't have quads of the RCA's, GE's, and Sylvania's so I can't try them out in the Sterling. So therefore it's hard to say if the differences are due to the wattage difference, tubes or the amp itself.

With that said, here are some 'first impressions'.

- Both amps 'wow' me. They are similar in that they both have a great clean tone that has a lot of presence and nice high end but never fatiguing or harsh in the highs.
    - Though it's a 'clean' tone they both have great sustain; especially when you dial up the mids a little. It's quite amazing the sustain actually, it's almost like it's overdriven but still considered a clean tone. (keep in mind I'm playing a strat and it still sings). I would say my Classic Reverb has a bit more sustain.
    - Strumming chords on both is a thing of beauty, you get nice overtones/harmonics/sparkle or whatever it is that makes it sound nice and 'complex' or 'three dimensional'. Not quite like as chimey/jangley as a DC-30 but of course these amps are warmer in general.
    - They both have a similar voicing (but my switches are set different). These two are voiced a lot more similar than to my Jet Signature. The Jet's tone seems to be beefier in the mids. These two seem to have a more naturally scooped tone. Adding mids on these amps and taking way mids on the Jet doesn't yield the same tone (or at least I haven't been able to).
    - Both have the most gorgeous reverb ever. The Classic reverb has additional control via a three way switch that can give you different reverb voicing's.
    - At least with my amps (given the tube setup) I notice the Classic Reverb has more bass than the Sterling (note: I hear that Sylvania's have more bass in general while the Philip's have less bass; this might attribute to some of what I'm hearing). I have the high & mid switches up on the CR and only the bass switch up on the Sterling. The way I have it currently dialed, the tone doesn't match up exactly but same ball park.
    - There's more pre-amp gain on tap with the Classic Reverb. The Sterling stays cleaner throughout the volume range. Both are very cool to me. It seems that Naturally the CR is easy for me to get it into a more overdriven/starting to break up tone. On the other hand I like how I can crank up the Sterling and hit the bass strings of the guitar and still get a nice clean note (quite amazing actually, and this is with the 6L6WGB's...I can't wait to find a quad of RCA or Sylvania 6L6GC's or Philips 5781A's).
    - Of course the Classic Reverb has two feedback switches and a Class A/Class AB switch on the back which allows you to get even more variety. The Sterling has the high/bass cut which is useful for fine tuning your eq (I actually do use the high cut, it seems to do something different than treble knob). I guess in summary I like my 50 watt Classic Reverb for the versatility/different tones you can conjure up while I like the Sterling for creating the best ever 'clean tone'. Even though I've only had the Sterling for a few weeks i've been able to set the eq to a better clean tone and of course I like how it stays clean when going louder! Woo hoo!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  15. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

I'm away from home reading TGP on a little cell phone and for a second thought the thread was 'New Rod Serling Signature amp'.....wow, bet that's different.
    i'm sure it's a great amp btw

16. bettset

bettset Member

now that's dedication :munch

17. StratStringSlinger

What's more addictive, The Gear Page or the Gear itself? Or is one the gateway drug!? =)

18. traviswalk

Good descriptions and feedback Wayne, I agree with most everything you noted there you will continue to love the Sterling. The 'heft' that comes from this amp is second to none and I have yet to find anything like it. Even the clean channels on big iron 100 watt Glaswerks and Bludos feel different, so the circuit does drive its uniqueness. What cab did you run yours through? I use a Kerry Wright 2x12 w/ EVM-12Ls primarily, helps add to the headroom and volume. And if you want a real amazing tone, put a Tube Tape Echo in front of the Sterling (vs. the loop)...that is sonic, clean HEAVEN! It is also an unbuffered FX loop, so a D'Lator in the loop will help get some gain and grit along with additional, amazing volume.

As for Sterling ownership that you note above, another TGP'er that has one is 'reactionjackson', although I don't see him around here much. Then there are supposedly two with Mr. Mayer, and if he could drop in and let us know we'd appreciate it! :)

19. traviswalk

TGP is definitely the gateway drug!!

20. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

What kind of Strat is that? I noticed the flame on it. Maybe a CS from Wildwood guitar?

I got one myself..60 relic strat from them..nice flame on it also..