Two Rock Studio Pro 22 owners Step In please - tube swap ideas and other stuff....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cgkindler, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

My favorite amp I have is my TR SP 22...love love LOVE this thing...

I've read on so many places where great NOS glass makes such a big difference in amps. I've got GAS for SOMETHING, so I thought I'd start this thread and try to cure my gas with tubes (maybe it will cost me less than a new amp or guitar, or pedal(s)!)

I've got several new tubes I've tried in v1, trying to calm down the low end - and I found that a, believe it or not, JJ 12ax7 seems to do the trick. The stock Tung-Sol gives this thing so much body, it almost takes away from the clarity (to my ears - I know that can be part of the endearing tone)

I'd love to hear what kind of tubes, both preamp and power, some folks have swapped with success. Before and after clips are a HUGE PLUS.

This may end up being a 5-8 post thread, and that's cool as this is kind of a niche amp, but if you're out there and have done it POST.

I remember only ONE guy from the past, that had a pic of his SP 22 and a guitar next to a window/sliding glass door that had done this, but I can't find the post or the results he had. Maybe you'll stumble in here?

2. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Pic of what I'm working with gear wise:

[​IMG]

3. teleowner87

teleowner87 Supporting Member

Following as I just bought a sp 22

4. teleowner87

teleowner87 Supporting Member

5. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I can say this too - these little Studio Pro 22's are just about perfect:

Small (ish)
    Light (ish)
    Tone for days
    Built like a tank

I've got a guy offering a LoneStar 2x12 and some cash for trade.Which I'm really appreciative of, and the Lonestar tones are AMAZING - but at 95lbs......man, no way. (that and the wife put her foot down)

6. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Don't know anything about glass, just that my tubes needed to be replaced on my SP22 head and Chad @ TR set me up (I paid) and received through TR EH branded tubes, which were different from brand originally shipped by TR originally......end result, amp sounded the same.....great.

PS If I recall, Chad had me bias at, or around 44-45.