Two Rock Studio Pro with pedals?

Rock72

I am tempted by the 35 w version as a combo and use for cleans and as a base for pedals. On the board I have 4 od/ds, two delays and reverbs. So I go anywhere from clean to hair on notes to higher gain (NOT metal).

For thosenwho have tried, how does it work with pedals? I used to own a Two Rock CRS v1, and it was fairly picky on pedals.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
The SP35 is fantastic with pedals, great clean platform. Was your CRS V1 picky with pedals on the gain channel or the clean channel?

StratJeff

I'm curious how your CRS handled pedals as well.

I'm on the fence over a 35w SP, or waiting for a CRS v3.

Would I have pedal issues? I run a MXR Comp, Classic Wah, CMatmods Signa Drive, Marshall Bluesbreaker (original), and an Aqua Puss MkII. The OCD is about to leave my board forever, I just can't figure the damn thing out.

Rock72

The SP35 is fantastic with pedals, great clean platform. Was your CRS V1 picky with pedals on the gain channel or the clean channel?
It was on the clean channel. It didn't like the BB+, OCD... it did like the KOT, Timmy, SS3. However, the amp eventually landed with TAG and was from him sent to Two Rock for service and tube change, so in all fairness to the amp, it could have been that.

I love the clean on TR, bar none, and would love it for that and with pedals.

mikepick

I just received my TR Studio yesterday so I don't have much time on it. I have a good collection of BJFE pedals and so far I like the way that they sound through my 1962 Vibrolux much better. No matter how I set the EQ my pedals sound muffled through the TR. Each pedals character comes through more on the Fender.

The TR's clean channel is amazing and it surprises me the my pedals don't sound better. Unfortunately I just sold off my SS-3 and G-2 since I have a battery free order coming in the next couple of weeks from Pete.

I suspect that the Cornish pedals with sound better with the TR since they have a more neutral EQ unlike like the BJFE which seems to have a low mid element.
The TR doesn't run as quite as I expected it to either especially when the level on the effects loop is turned up.

I got the Studio 35 combo and I must say for how small that amp is it sure sounds big and is plenty loud.

I was hoping that the Studio 35 would allow me to sell off my Old Fender, but since I have so much money in pedals I am not sure that the Studio is the right amp for me, but like I said I have only a short time with amp so far.

coolhand78

I just received my TR Studio yesterday so I don't have much time on it. I have a good collection of BJFE pedals and so far I like the way that they sound through my 1962 Vibrolux much better. No matter how I set the EQ my pedals sound muffled through the TR. Each pedals character comes through more on the Fender.

The TR's clean channel is amazing and it surprises me the my pedals don't sound better. Unfortunately I just sold off my SS-3 and G-2 since I have a battery free order coming in the next couple of weeks from Pete.

I suspect that the Cornish pedals with sound better with the TR since they have a more neutral EQ unlike like the BJFE which seems to have a low mid element.
The TR doesn't run as quite as I expected it to either especially when the level on the effects loop is turned up.

I got the Studio 35 combo and I must say for how small that amp is it sure sounds big and is plenty loud.

I was hoping that the Studio 35 would allow me to sell off my Old Fender, but since I have so much money in pedals I am not sure that the Studio is the right amp for me, but like I said I have only a short time with amp so far.
keep us updated on how it sounds with the cornish stuff, as i'm amp hunting and this amp is up the top of my list atm... but if its not gonna take the cornish pedals then i'll have to keep looking ;)

mikepick

keep us updated on how it sounds with the cornish stuff, as i'm amp hunting and this amp is up the top of my list atm... but if its not gonna take the cornish pedals then i'll have to keep looking ;)
Unfortunately coolhand78 I am about 2 or 3 weeks out from getting my Cornish order. I have about another week with the amp if I want to get a refund.

Don't get me wrong its a great sounding amp. The problem that I am having is that my BJFE pedals all have different eq's in the Mids, but playing through this amp they all sound pretty much the same. One thing that helped out was pulling out the level knob on the loop which makes that amp overall brighter.

My 62 Vibrolux is a much better pedal platform than the Two Rock, which is kind of weird since the two rock seems to have a better clean sound, but when I engage my pedals they sound muffled.

The Two Rock has a pretty decent reverb and when you pull out the mid control it has a nice volume and mid boost. I just can't understand why they did not make the reverb and mid boost switchable via a pedal. :huh

coolhand78

Unfortunately coolhand78 I am about 2 or 3 weeks out from getting my Cornish order. I have about another week with the amp if I want to get a refund.

Don't get me wrong its a great sounding amp. The problem that I am having is that my BJFE pedals all have different eq's in the Mids, but playing through this amp they all sound pretty much the same. One thing that helped out was pulling out the level knob on the loop which makes that amp overall brighter.

My 62 Vibrolux is a much better pedal platform than the Two Rock, which is kind of weird since the two rock seems to have a better clean sound, but when I engage my pedals they sound muffled.

The Two Rock has a pretty decent reverb and when you pull out the mid control it has a nice volume and mid boost. I just can't understand why they did not make the reverb and mid boost switchable via a pedal. :huh
thats a shame, coz i'd love to hear the amp with the PC pedals... it's still up the top of my list coz i think the EQ on the amp would be quite usable which when combined with a timmy and PC pedals (all having great EQ's) should make for quite a good combination...

but the jury's still out, i'm yet to hear from anyone with direct experience of this combination...

if you send the amp back what do you think you'll get instead?

mikepick

thats a shame, coz i'd love to hear the amp with the PC pedals... it's still up the top of my list coz i think the EQ on the amp would be quite usable which when combined with a timmy and PC pedals (all having great EQ's) should make for quite a good combination...

but the jury's still out, i'm yet to hear from anyone with direct experience of this combination...

if you send the amp back what do you think you'll get instead?
I think you are right. The Timmy and PC pedals tend to have more of a neutral EQ and compliment the amp instead of overtaking it. I wish I still had my SS3 and G2 then I could let you know for sure.

By the way the loop in this amp is really good.

I have until Monday to make up my mind. If I do end up sending the amp back then I will keep playing through my 62 Vibrolux or getting a Reeves Custom 50.

mikepick

Sweet it's still at the top of my list I think it'll be sweet with my PC pedals...
Well the amp has really grown on me so I have decided to keep it. Hopefully I will get my Cornish order in the next couple of weeks then I will report back.

coolhand78

Well the amp has really grown on me so I have decided to keep it. Hopefully I will get my Cornish order in the next couple of weeks then I will report back.
that's great news. I find that all gear takes a while to settle in... it took me a while to dial in my SS3 but now its my favourite overdrive, sometimes you just have to persist with good gear... you'll find your voice with it eventually ;)

look forward to hearing the report.

pwrightmd

Gold Supporting Member
The Studio Pro 35 sounds great with everything I've thrown at it including my 2 Cornish pedals (G2 and P2). Here's a pic of what I'm currently running into it.

mikepick

The Studio Pro 35 sounds great with everything I've thrown at it including my 2 Cornish pedals (G2 and P2). Here's a pic of what I'm currently running into it.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for sharing. Well Luke this pretty much answers your question since you have the same 2 drive pedals. I am thinking that I may have to hunt down a Timmy again once I get my Cornish order.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Glad to hear it. Thanks for sharing. Well Luke this pretty much answers your question since you have the same 2 drive pedals. I am thinking that I may have to hunt down a Timmy again once I get my Cornish order.

I'm still on hold for my Cornish order, but the Tim and Timmy's work GREAT with the SP35.

Trending Topics