Two-Rock Type 3: Please chime in!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by albuht813, Jan 29, 2008.

1. albuht813

albuht813 Member

I am extremely intrigued by this amp. If you have played this amp or own it, please tell me!:dude

2. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

do a search. There was clip recently by Steve Snider. It is probably 3 pages down the list or so. Very nice. I am also interested.

cmn

3. albuht813

albuht813 Member

Yeah, I saw that thread and read/listened to the post at least 20 times.

I've been talking to Cliff at destroy all guitars.com and listening to him demo the amp. From what I can gather, it's an incredible piece of work.

Anyone have some personal experience?

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I would make SURE you try both type "III" AND type "I" !!! The "III" that Snider posted sounded incredible, but so did the type "I" I played. Look at the features of both before you decide. They are both available correct? I bet a type II with EL34s and an HRM would be ULTRA cool as well!

:AOK

5. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I've had the Type III for a couple months and I'm just as floored as when I got it. More so actually because I've learned the amp well now and it sounds even sweeter now that it's settled in with all the hours I've put on it. A flexable clean and a flexable lead tone was more than I expected. I can go from smooth overdriven tones to attack and bite all with a twist of the contour control on the second channel. The clean is big and punchy with various flavors and kick in the FET and it opens up a whole nother pallet of tones, depending on where you set the FET. The clean has a contour as well adding to the versatility. The lead tones on this amp are amazing, so much so it's my favorite amp to date. In a lot of amps you lead tone has you piegon holed, not so with the Type III, and I can cover a lot of ground. Last thing I'll comment on is the feel. I love the feel of this amp and that's equally important to me. Oh I forgot flip it into class A and it just ripps. Cliff at DAG knows the amp very well and can help, give him a call.

6. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

What Steve said. I have owned mine for a few months and it is an amazing amp no doubt. I will try and record some clips with my completely lame setup (Edirol R9 handheld digital) that will show some amazing sides to this amp and hopefully some guys with real recording equip. will post some as well. Fact is the feel is what makes it. It's like another instrument. I could have the most amazing cleans or dial it in to have this lead tone that is like an ebow. Feedback on every note and no matter where I slide it, it goes. Incredible amp.

7. albuht813

albuht813 Member

Yes, please. I think it would be great to have some clips to demonstrate the versatility of this amp!! I thoroughly enjoyed your last clip.
    Thanks!

8. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

OK, by way of preface: I own 2 Two Rocks (Em Pro/Opal, Custom) and love them both. That said, I've been looking longingly at the newer models, and will likely get bit in the wallet by one this year. In short, I'm a big fanboy.

OK, with that as background, what I'd like to know is, why a transistorized (FET) stage instead of tube?

9. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

You can either engage the FET or leave it out, it's not there INSTEAD of tube. As to what it does I'm not exactly sure, but have heard it allows a different flavor of grit (perhaps that elusive steeliness heard on some records? I don't know) well, definitely another flavor at the very least.

I want this type III BAAAAAAd.

10. Steve Snider

You are correct. FET (field effect transmitter) is foot switchable and variable on front panel. When engaged it does different things depending on level on front. Can be a simple boost to low and high frequencies or if turned up can add volume , gain and treble and bass boost. I love it on the Classic Reverb and Type 3. Great feature.

11. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

FET is an acronym for Field Effect TRANSISTOR, not transmitter. It's not transmitting. It's either a gain stage or a filter (doubtful), and if it's a gain stage, I'm curious why a transistor was chosen vs. a tube.

Sigh. I should've just called the guys up north.

12. Steve Snider

You are correct and yes you should call them. Either way it's mighty useful and sounds great when engaged, whether for more gain, less gain etc. it adds a nice sound. I am sure Bill can explain the technical aspects and reason he put it in.

13. madstrat

madstrat Member

i'm sure it was chosen because that's what d@#$#*ble used
    in some of his amps...

he prolly chose it becuz fet's are closer in operation to tubes
    than any other solid state device....but a different flavor of gain

just speculation on my part...ymmv

14. v00d00blues79

v00d00blues79 Member

In the D*mbles the Normal input has an impedance of 1M to the first stage, the FET input has a 3.3M input impedance and has a variable gain to supplement a weak input signal to drive the first stage at an equal to or greater signal strength than the normal input. This would be useful if you were to *gasp* plug an acoustic electric guitar with a weak piezo pickup into the amp. It does also add the benefit of goosing the signal strength of an electric guitar pickup to add some dirt to it at the first stage. In a Dumble the gain control for the FET is internal and therefore preset, on the Two-Rocks they put the control on the front panel.

Thanks,

Andy

15. albuht813

albuht813 Member

I have a Classic Reverb at the moment and the FET does depend on the level of gain going in the amp. I would say it gives a bit more grit and percussiveness to the notes. It acts like a clean boost to me.

16. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

That Classic Reverb looks really interesting. How does it compare tonally with the CRS2? I see it has a preamp neg feedback switch which copies the CR neg feedback. So, does it do CRS2 and more?

17. Steve Snider

Never played a CR Sig 2 so I am of no use. I am sure it kills.

Ask Joe, he will break it down for you as far as differences..

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

To me, the classic reverb sounded EXTREMELY similar to the CRS clean channel.

19. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Thanks for your patience, Steve. Don't be surprised if it results in some annoying bald dude bugging you locally this year.