• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Two Rock Type 3 vs. Eric Gales

20forSeven

Can someone please compare and contrast these two amps? What are each amps strengths and why would a player choose one over the other? Much thanks.

Last edited:

heady dude

They are pretty much polar opposite amps as far as Two Rocks go. Of course they both have that signature TR sound, but the drive channels are very different. The T3 is super smooth, and refined ODS type tone. It does have some gain on tap, but still stays smooth and relatively polite, even when the gain is dimed (It can still rock though, I used to play Hendrix, Zep with it). Clean channel is similar but not as bright and chimey as the Gales, still has the signature TR clean sound but they are a bit darker and more 'woody'. I really like the cleans on it, and the lead for that matter, great amp.

The EG, is the most aggressive TR Ive ever played. Much more Marshall like lead channel than dumble, but still has plenty of ODS in its genetics, and has that tone that you have come to know from TR. Sounds like the thickest, richest Marshall you have heard. Dial back the gain and it can almost get into the Type 3 ballpark, but not as smooth or refined, it still retains that edginess it has. Cleans are pretty close to the Classic Reverb, somewhat similar to the T3, just brighter and more chimey. A strat sounds much better with this amp than the T3 for some reason.
Definitely go with the tube rectifiers, thats part of what makes both of these amps so good.

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
They are pretty much polar opposite amps as far as Two Rocks go. Of course they both have that signature TR sound, but the drive channels are very different. The T3 is super smooth, and refined ODS type tone. It does have some gain on tap, but still stays smooth and relatively polite, even when the gain is dimed. Clean channel is similar but not as bright and chimey as the Gales, still has the signature TR clean sound but they are a bit darker and more 'woody'. I really like the cleans on it, and the lead for that matter, great amp.

The EG, is the most aggressive TR Ive ever played. Much more Marshall like lead channel than dumble, but still has plenty of ODS in its genetics, and has that tone that you have come to know from TR. Sounds like the thickest, richest Marshall you have heard. Dial back the gain and it can almost get into the Type 3 ballpark, but not as smooth or refined, it still retains that edginess it has. Cleans are pretty close to the Classic Reverb, somewhat similar to the T3, just brighter and more chimey. This amp sounds much better with a strat than the T3.
Definitely go with the tube rectifiers, thats part of what makes both of these amps so good.
Nice review. I think that that you nailed it. :agree

LSchefman

I think you're pretty accurate on the v3 CR, but my SS rectified version may be a little different. I don't find the amp dark. I can also get a more gainy sound than I could with the v2. The gaininess can come very close if not equal to my Onyx Sigs.

This may be due to the SS rectifier. Maybe my amp is voiced a little different than the tube rectified version. Maybe it's simply the way I like to set up the amp with my #1 guitar: bright switch on, treble around 2 o'clock, mids slightly below 12 o'clock, bass at 11 o'clock, rear pull-bright off, mid and bass emphasis off, EQ2, contour at 12 o'clock on cleans, 1 o'clock on lead. In any case, I sure love it!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom