Two Rock vs Fender Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Yossi, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

After spending the afternoon in GC playing all the tube Fender amps, I wound up liking the Bassman RI the most. I thought that I would like the DRRI, but I think for my music, blues, classic rock etc the Bassman was better. Maybe it had to do with the extra speakers, larger cab, more air, I don't know.
    Then, what do I need to buy another amp when I have a Two Rock Emerald 50 pushing a Marshall 1960a cab? They really aren't that different, are they?

There are so many choices, that I ran into analysis paralysis and left empty handed but with a full wallet.

2. cander328

cander328 Member

I own a TR CRS v1 and a TR K&M LTD as well as several blackface Fenders. I think that the TRs are very different from my Fenders. The main difference is in the feel, with the Fenders having more sag. My TRs are 50 watters and with my CRS v1 I have much more clean headroom than my '65 Vibrolux Reverb (most clean headroom of the Fenders I have). The differences in tone are most evident at gig volumes. The TRs have much more harmonic complexity in the midrange and through the TR 1x12 cabs the low end is much tighter. The breakup is also different between the TR and my Fenders and I think this might also be a 6L6 vs 6V6 difference because the Vibrolux Reverb (with 6L6s - actually 5881s currently) is the most similar to the TR CRS v1. I run my LTD in class A mode with EL34s and it is a completely different beast.

3. Yossi

Yossi Member

It is hard to tell while playing in the GC at lower volumes.
    How does the Emerald 50, that I have compare to the Two Rocks that you have, Cander328?

4. cander328

cander328 Member

I have never played an EM50 so I can't say how they would compare.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Once you get into the good (clean) tone area don't they all seem about the same...just different;) but entirely useful regardless of what you choose?
    Not enough difference to affect your playing, guitar choice, band mix, audience reaction, etc., or even personal satisfaction.

Of course, I don't differentiate between the tonal nuances of say, steel vs aluminum chassis or even ss vs tube. If it sounds good...done! The rest is esoteric entertanment:BluesBros

6. jspax7

jspax7 Member

A Two-Rock 50 watt amp is much closer to a Blackface Fender Bassman (or even a Twin) than a Tweed Bassman reissue. What you probably liked about the re-issue is the sag and vintage feel of the amp.

At higher volume the Emerald will loosen up a little, but I sold an Emerald Pro because I couldn't get into that zone often enough to justify keeping it.

I have a D'Lite 22/33 and a Fuchs ODS30 cathode bias with a 1/2 power, triode pentode, and Sag switches. These 6V6 amps are all about vintage tone and feel. Oh, and they can still do the "D" style overdrive too.

Works for me.

ymmv

7. kimock

kimock Member

The Bassman reissue sounds great. I got the same impression of the DRRI, it's OK, but I wouldn't want to get stuck with one onstage. The Bassman's speakers do sound nice in that open back cab. FWIW The Bassman reissue is my fave backline amp when I can't travel with my TR.

The Fender and Two Rock amps are different for sure, but they complement each other well. The open and closed back cab thing is different too, but much less complementary imho.

You chose wisely.:)

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There are differences, some mentioned above:
    TRs have much more power supply filtering and bigger transformers, so the bass is much more authoritative, the attack is harder and they sag much less. This is great if your technique is clean, a Fender might smear things a little and be more forgiving of poor technique. The TR is two channel, of course, where the Fender requires pedals to get more sounds, but the Fender is a LOT easier to set up for different rooms or gig volumes. The TR isn't likely to get into crunch mode very often, it's great for clean and singing leads. If you can turn it up high enough, a tweed Fender is the cat's pajamas for touch sensitive crunch. In fact, I'd argue that you could record just about any sound you needed with your TR and a Tweed Deluxe!

9. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Gear resistance is a discipline within itself. Kudos to you for not buying.

classytouch likes this.
  10. scottl

scottl Member

Fender tonestacks are wired in series. They can have a certain response curve that peopel refer to as the classic Fender clean tone. Dumble style amps, TR included on many of their models, have a parallel wired tonestack with the mid cap and bass caps in parallel woth their respective pots in parallel to ground. The treble cap is frequently larger as well. This gives the midrange complexity or push that people associate with Dumbles. Lastly on most Dumbles, the slope resistor is very large. Makes for a different toanlity yet again.

Really, it is just two different flavors of great chocolate. But, the cleans will be different due to the tonestack differences.

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

THE FENDERS Have more SAG???

Ok, that Does it.

I had a TR in my radar and was about to buy a Sig TR, but i love Saggy amps, now i will have to try the Fenders.

Even when i thought the JMayer Sig amp was developed from a Vibro King.

Ummm, where can you try out a TR in Ft Lauderdale?

12. kimock

kimock Member

Nice one Scotty! From my slightly more brain dead players perspective, if an amp even reminds me of a Fender, chances are good I'm digging it!:)

peace

13. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I was a little surprised by that too. It's been a while since I had a real fender ... last one was several years ago (a silver twin). But my lasting impression was always that fenders were punchier with a faster attack. of course, that doesn't go for the whole TR line ... the opal is extremely fast, and the onyx is pretty quick as well. but the CRS and EP, among others, always struck me as softer than a fender ... among other differences.

14. scottl

scottl Member

Man my typing is lame today!! Btw, I really loved the tone of your Magnatone when I saw you!! It was soooo sweet!!! Looking forward to meeting you again someday. Maybe even play.... Maybe Bob Stirner and I can swing up there....

15. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Great explaination !

16. Yossi

Yossi Member

Tweed Chocolate or Black Chocolate?
    I noticed a difference between the DRRI and the Bassman. Both amps only had one volume and I was really hearing the clean sounds. My TR emerald 50 has the second overdrive channel, a feature that neither Fender has. It was the "flavor" of the clean that was hard to describe.
    The bassman had more oomph, and the DRRI was more jazzy clean.
    Since there are differences between the Tweeds and the Black faces,
    How would both compare separately to the Two rocks?