Two Rock Vs Fuchs. Which Sounds Better?? What Happened???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

What happened to that thread? Why was it deleted? Did guys start to fight? One of the most asked questions on here, about two of the most popular amps. I make a perfect A\B clip for all to hear for themselves, now its gone. :(

2. Randy

Randy Member

It was moved to the soundclips page...

3. Tag

A comparison of two amps gets moved to the members soundclips page?? :confused: WTF??

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Clips belong on the clips section guys.

Comparisons, "check out my new amp" or just playing for fun.... they'd all be clips.

So I put them in the clips section.

5. Tag

Scott CW

you deleted your post. I know you like talking and describing amps tones more than listening anyway. :eek: Not me. Give me the CLIPS! :AOK

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

:confused:
    Scott- is this a new policy? For as long as I can remember, clips in the context of amp tone, or pedal effects were posted in amp or effect sections while the clip section were oriented towards song/technique/style. While I understand the "clips are clips" approach, it does seem a bit strict when talking amps and tone. FWIW, IMHO, yada.:cool:

7. Tag

I agree 100%. We are talking AMPS here. Its the internet and what could possibly be better than listening to them, since actually playing them on here is impossible? :confused:

The clips section is cool for jamming, backing tracks, and things like that, but for talking and trying to hear tone, clips are the best possible thing. ESPECIALLY when identical players, guiitars etc are used. I put a lot of work into those clips keeping everything as even as I could. If the rules state otherwise, change them!

(And Im called the closed minded one.) :p

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

So post the clip in the "Soundclips" area (note the name guys) and post a link to it here.

The whole forum is about gear and music guys. The Gear Page does not start and end in the Amps section. It isn't a "new policy" as much as it is plain common sense.

Me thinks you guys are protesting a bit too much. Honest.

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Scott is the administrator... he does what he believe serves this forum the best.

Why argue and try to persuade him otherwise?

10. fullerplast

First of all, I don't see much arguing or complaining going on here. Something has clearly changed though, therefore the questions.

As for persuading Scott otherwise, he's a very reasonable guy. More so than most I can think of. If he get's a sense that most people would prefer to hear tone clips in the amp page, he may consider a policy change to be reasonable. Like I said earlier, clips have been posted here as long as I can remember with no complaints, until now.

Whatever the reason or "ruling", Scott's word is law. No argument there. As rock musicians though, we've been raised to question authority. We're just doing our job....:D

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I like TGPers clips (of themselves) in the Members Soundclips area. Makes the site cleaner/clearer to me.

12. fullerplast

Here's where it gets a little messy to me:

Somebody starts a thread here about a new amp, talks about the builder, posts a picture, and then posts a link to the clips page, which in turn is just another link to the soundclip. Now the amp discussion is divided between two pages. Do you talk about the tone of the amp here, or on the clip page? Look at what just happened with Tag's post. You now have guys talking about transformers and voltages on the clips page....then if they want to talk about other aspects of the amp, like speakers, or controls, or tolex, they have to come back here. Or not. Everything gets fragmented.

Since the clip is just a link anyway, posting a link to the clip page is virtually the same as just posting the link to the clip directly. The difference is that now the discussion of the amp is broken into two places, with much overlap. That's my main concern, but in the end we will all do whatever Scott tells us to.

13. Tag

Exactly. It makes no sense at all to my huge, well developed brain.

:cool:

14. Tag

Hey Scott,
    Then you are cross posting, which is illegal I thought. :confused: I always post my incredible, unbelievable, mind numbing ;) jamming clips and fun stuff like that in the members clips section.
    When I am demoing an amp, or something like that, I post it under the amps and cabs section, where I always thought it belonged. I fully understand jamming, showing off, technique tips, and stuff like that being in the members clips section, but showcasing an amps tones, or comparisons should be in the amps and cabs section for sure. Of course its your forum, so arrange it anyway you want. When you want to get it right however, send me an email, and Ill set it up perfectly for you. :eek: :D ;)

Seriously, you know what I mean, and have a great Thanksgiving! :)

15. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

You have a good point, OTOH the conversation may also devolve into mic type, placement, recording techniques, etc. which might be more at home in the clips area. Any of these threads can go anywhere and most get plenty fragmented no matter where they start life.

To me its more a matter of the OP's intent. Is he posting a clip to generate some thoughts about the amp used on the clip, or to get some feedback on some aspect of his playing or recording technique. That was what seemed to be the (implied) rule to me anyhow.

16. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Scott,

This made me laugh.

The whole world revolves around the Amps section!!!:dude :dude :dude :D

17. Tag

Thats right. So a comparison of two amps tones, would OBVIOUSLY go under amps and cabs. Mic placement, recording technique or that sort of thing would go under ALL ABOUT RECORDING me thinks. Thread drift is cool. Under amps and cabs and TwoRocks, we were talking about the price of the Mona Lisa. :dude

18. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I think there's a difference between a clip being the subject/point/intention of a post and it being the result/reaction to a post, ya know? I don't see a problem dropping a clip link into a thread (in context, and not necessarily double-posted in clips area) - but if it's a new post (not a follow-up), there is the members clip area. The other areas are discussion not clip oriented... OK, somewhat murky, but cleaner (to me).

19. Tag

If its the tone of an AMP or CAB that is being talked about, of COURSE the clip is going to be the most important\point\intention of the post. If its the playing thats the point, then soundclips is the area. Otherwise, it should be stated. The AMP AND CABS section is a CHAT FORUM ONLY! NO SOUND CLIPS ALLOWED. That is absurd. Pretty silly to be trying to describe an amp or cabs tone when you could be hearing it as well. If guys cant make clips, then chatting is the only way. I have offered to not only post clips for guys, but convert to digital from a cassette and post if they wanted to mail it to me.

20. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

We'll agree to disagree. But - FWIW & slightly OT - I think clips are much more subjective than objective if trying to demo a product. Gives an impression, not an absolute, ya know? 'Course this is not to say they are without value... In other words, while you see them as the point if inserted in an amp discussion, I see them as an aside. ;)