Two-Rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Maven, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Can anyone comment on these amps? I'm hearing great stuff and bring the gear freak that I am I'm really getting interested in these. I know they are pricey and sometimes I have to be honest with myself and say "can my ears really hear the difference between a great tube amp that cost $1500 and something like this thats going to cost 5000+. Any feedback is most appreciated!

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Great amps. My Bandmate plays an Overdrive Reverb 100 watt. Newest model. It is a great sounding head. Another friend of mine who owns three Dumbles, has the same model and says it is better than all three of the Dumbles. I have a couple amps that Bill Krinard made and would put them up against anything.3 channel beasts and hopefully a future TR model.From Emerald Pros,OPals, Ruby's, Custom Reverbs and a bunch of other really cool one offs, they build some awesome amps. Not for everyone but I dig 'em.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

What works for you can only be determined by . . . you. :)

I love some Two Rocks while others leave me cold. When I first tried my Emerald 50, I thought it was head and shoulders above just about every other amp I'd ever played. That sentiment hasn't changed.

If you keep an eye out, Two Rocks do come up at significant discounts, particularly older models (I got my Em50 for well under 2K).

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

If you don't have a hearing problem, you will hear the difference.

And if you are like me, you will opt for the $1500 used Demeter TGA-3 no less than four times (and counting?) before you go for the $5000 Two Rock (haven't bought one yet).

Other people are not like me - they prefer the Two Rock. And with most of them, it's because they hear the difference too. Maybe some small number of them are just investing. But I expect most people hear something they like a lot.

So I expect you will hear the difference. What you make of that difference is up to you.

The point of my answer is to say that this is not about ineffable subtlety that only a select few can hear. (What would be the point of that? How big an audience can you attract playing gear that only one person in a million can appreciate the sound of?)

This is about whether the amp makes the sound you want.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You can obtain a used Two-Rock for about 2K$ for one of the pre-Signature models.I can tell the difference in a marked way,it has been said that the Custom(of which I have#22) and the Lo-gain Emerald Pro are two of the cooler models.

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

+1...........I used to swear by my Tony Bruno models.........now all I can say is...........Tony Who? ;)

My Emerald Pro Reverb is one of if not the best amps I've ever played through. So many times in this world you pay for a name or prestige.......this is one of those things that you truly get your monies worth and then some. :dude

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>o I expect you will hear the difference. What you make of that difference is up to you<<

Well said!

The solution is to play some TR models, current and older ones.

There is a difference you can hear between lots of amp brands and models. The question is which amp floats your boat?

If it turns out to be a TR (I am a TR kinda guy), then there is good news and bad news:

The good news is that you may never feel the need to go amp shopping again.

The bad news is that you may never feel the need to go amp shopping again. ;)

But there is always the option of going amp shopping with friends/relatives to satisfy your jones...

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Give this guy a call. He will answer all your questions and then some. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Miami, FLORIDA[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Authorized Signature Dealer[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The Tone Smith[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Craig Priest [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]10750 SW 188 Street
    Miami, FL 33157
    305-252-1256
    [/FONT]

The guy LOVES this **** . He is highly knowledgable and one of the straightest shooters around. At the very least you will have a great conversation about gear with a very cool guy.[​IMG]

9. PFCG

PFCG Member

[​IMG]This is my joyus Two-Rock, and i love her. Got more balls and umph than ive ever seen, that little 1x12 sounds like a 4x12!

10. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

+1 on Craig! great guy to work with.

11. Mike

Mike Member

Sure like my rig....

[​IMG]

Mike

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Ooooo, that suede is sick! Love it!

13. Mike

Mike Member

Thanks Les! I make sure and rub up against it every day. It's sick, I know, but what can I say? :D

We're getting more and more requests for custom coverings like this, and are happy to oblige. It's much easier to do than it used to be.

Mike

14. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

i've heard amazing things about the CR Sig. ANy comments on the CR Artist. I'm going to look for one of these used. May be a bit hard to find. I did see one on Ebay not too long ago for 2660, not bad considering they're like 3800 new. ouch

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I am not a Rich man. I am a civil servant by day and used to balk at these prices myself. But once you play one you will be done for most other amps. Craig hooked me up with a Mint used piece and gave me a better warranty then most new amps when new. I couldn't be happier and I feel like I actually got a bargain. Lots of blood sweat and tears overtime in that amp.........worth every penny and thensome. :dude

16. dukew

dukew Supporting Member

Superstition Mountain with Robert in the Bar
    Great Heads, I've had two but very expensive for the Signatures which are the best. I found happiness for less money in a Fuchs ODS 100. I'm not knocking them if you've got the jack they're great.

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

best clean tones from any channel switching amp I've played. Actually has clean tone that surpass most amps I've played, including Dumble. Would love to have one of the cr artists in black suede w/ vox grill.

18. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I have a TR Custom Reverb and it is terrific. Covers all the sonic territory I need. The articulation and open sound is what will really get ya, once you play one. I have the standard one. I have played an Artist and a Sig, there is some difference in a little more open sound. Depends on your buget. You can pick up standard CR's btwn $2400-$2700 on the used market and only be 10-15% away from the Artist&Sig sound.

Peace,
    duffy

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

my artist dosnt dissapoint, i havent heard or seen anything better as of yet. ive heard dumbles, but if theres anything thats dumblesque its this. the artist goes from super lush blackface tones to some super heavy sounds. i have the 100 watter, so its pretty sweet. i coulden't be happier.

20. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

+1:cool: