Two Rock??

Blueser

Gold Supporting Member
The Classic Reverb made it possible for me to finally let go of the last vintage "Holy Grail" amp in my studio. My '66 Super Reverb that I've had since '74 is now in the possession of Steve Snider's dentist, yes it's a small world.

The Classic nails the "SRV" tone, as well as any one amp can, and offers so much more. In my experience, it's hands down the closet thing to a refined, vintage Blackface that exits. There are others that have the perception of Blackface and many are incredible amps in their own right, but if it's true Blackface that you want, the Classic Reverb stands alone. It draws heavily from the Mayer amp but is not built with the NOS parts and pieces of the Mayer. It's also capable of a big open screaming overdrive which will make your favorite EL34 amp sound thin and top heavy until your ears acclimate and the beauty of the EL34 re-appears.

...and now, to ice the cake on Two-Rock's Classic line, I've worked with Bill and Joe in creating a monster that has the Classic Reverb (exact) as the clean channel, coupled with the Lead Channel of the Classic Type 1. It's the Overdrive Sig 50 and it can run in class A, a most important feature, and is the mother-ship of the Classic series. This is the amp I'm rocking in the studio right now and I couldn't be happier.
Cliff,

Do the two channel on the Overdrive Sig have their own separate EQ, or do they share the same EQ?

Thanks,
B

lv

Silver Supporting Member
I really enjoyed reading this post so much I couldn't resist adding to it. I wouldn't normally do this but it's to good to pass up this sonic challange. I'll put this out to Bluser since you're probably about an hour and a half to two hours away depending on traffic. Come to our shop in New Paltz and listen to all of these amps for yourself. No strings attached. I love my Two Rock's and I love putting them through the paces. You can sit in the amp room and try all of these amps mentioned out. I have in the store right now the Classic Type 1, Custom Reverb Sig V2, Custom Reverb Sig V1, Jet, and a used Sterling Signature. The classic Reverb is on it's way and hopefully will be here by the weekend. We can also try any of these amps head to head with a Bruno Cowtipper 45 and the Pure '64 Mean Street that were also mentioned. The Bruno's a recent used trade but we're also a dealer for the Pure '64. I'll spend all day with you and all of these amps and you can let your ears be the judge. Where else can you go and play with this many different amplifiers for the day. I could go on and on about all of these amps tonally but that seems to already been covered. Check them out for yourself. ~ Wasyl

I wish I was close to you Wasyl, I'd love to check out all those amps.

One thing is for sure, if Blueser makes it out there, he will post his honest thoughts, no punches pulled.

Dave, re: shared eq, I've owned 3 two rocks and have played everything other than the sig stuff - you will need to make some big adjustments to the controls to "optimize" your clean and lead tones, for the types of tones you like.

Dave, re: shared eq, I've owned 3 two rocks and have played everything other than the sig stuff - you will need to make some big adjustments to the controls to "optimize" your clean and elad tones, for the types of tones you like.Today 05:58 PM
Lou,

I'm sure this was very true in the past but the Classic Reverb and Type 1 are of a different architecture and work together rather well. I'm getting great sounds and have plenty of settings that work well for both channels. There is certainly a world of tweaking that can be done but it's not necessary in order to get great sounds from both with just the push of a foot-switch. The Reverb was the big issue and that's been dealt with as the Lead Channel has a separate Send & Return on the back panel. If I had one wish it would be to have the Mid boost automatically engaged when activating the Tone Stack Bypass, but that is more a matter of my preference and not something necessary.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
Great thread here guys thanks!

I've not heard much about the Classic Reverb. I have a TR Sig V.1 and absolutely love it. But my interest is piqued about the Classic Reverb.

Can someone give me a little more info on the distortion sound at high and low volumes?

Are there any sound clips? Are many dealers selling them now? Are they in full production?

Thanks,

B

Black Creek

I just want to thank Joe and Bill for rushing a Classic Reverb out to me for the weekend. As an added bonus it's coming in the new Signature 1x12 Combo cabinet. Being a combo guy myself I've been waiting for this cabinet to be in production for some time now. I'll post pics of it when it gets here tomorrow...

johnzias

it's a clean amp...so...you have to dime everything pretty much to get it roaring...unless you use pedals...if you turn everything up, it's loud and it rocks...

Just what the doctor ordered!! I'm looking forward to this one! Also, thanks to Joe and Bill for taking care of my issue!

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
Blueser, I am waiting on your tone report. And I agree with Evan, take a classic 30 or other in same room, same speakers and compare.

LesMax,

To get the Classic rockin....Gain at 3 o'clock & FET at 3 o'clock and if you want it to really scream, engage the Tone Stack Bypass and put both the Treble and Mid Boost on and turn the Contour to about 2 to 3 o'clock. Big grinding screaming wide open overdrive that makes an EL34 sound tiny. The more you thin it out by turning the Contour clockwise, boosting treble and thinning out the bass, the closer it gets to an El34 sound but it will always have a wider spectrum as that is what this amp and the 6L6s do..You will not get modern levels of gain but you will get great Classic Rock levels with a wide open sound that few, if any have been able to achieve.

A simple clean boost in front will launch this amp into much deeper gain and saturation while preserving that "wide open" quality. You can also hit it with just about any overdrive, distortion or fuzz to push it to those familiar places and it will do so, again, with more clarity and a bigger footprint than most.

These amps are ready and ship within days.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
I read a few posts back that it gets a great distortion or "brown" sound is this true? And has great overdrive at low volumes. Is it primarily a clean amp?

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys, I got my answers. One more...

how does the OD compare to the CR Sig, V1?

These are the fastest forum replies on the net, are you guys watching this like TV?

You guys are all great!

LesMax,

Yes to all, but it's Brown sound, sounds like it's coming from a 50ft tall Marshall. It's much bigger and thicker and makes it hard to go back...It's cleans are beyond those of the finest Super Reverb I've ever found and it's overdrive is jaw-dropping at moderate to loud volumes. It's not a bedroom amp for dirty, but it need not be excessively loud either. It's cleans can be had at a whisper...

It's OD is wide open, big and rich. No compression or saturation happening here.

L

Leucadian

I read a few posts back that it gets a great distortion or "brown" sound is this true? And has great overdrive at low volumes. Is it primarily a clean amp?
...no...you misread, this is what I typed: "..I know that Blueser wants the "Dumble" sound...however, yesterday, I was playing through my Classic Reverb in Class A (22 watts), using E.Q.2...everything pretty much at 12 O'Clock...with the FET Gain at 2 O'Clock...COT50 and Eternity (set with the gain 3/4)...brown sound...sounded just like EVH's Marshall from the first two albums! It did! I sat there and played Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, Somebody Get Me A Doctor and Unchained for about 30 minutes...nice to know I can easily get those tones...but yeah, those TR CLR cleans are very, very inspiring, luscious, 3-D...it helps that I have a 1x12 TR Sig cab..."

...I think of it as a clean amp...read the previous posts...I don't really hear it is a Marshall-y sounding amp...you can set-it up like that...I use pedals for gain, otherwise it will be very loud!

There is an Overdrive Signature 50, which has the Classic Reverb for the clean channel and the Classic Type 1 Lead channel for it's Lead Channel.

It's been advertised and is hardly the joke you make it appear to be as some rather good intentioned, intelligent and very hard working people invested lots of time and energy to make it all work.

Sorry that you haven't the common courtesy to show any respect for the work of others...

...and your admission to just making it up is in fact an admission of guilt / slander so you just put yourself in checkmate...

I'd strongly advise you let this issue disappear as quickly as it came. You are dead wrong here so let it go...

L

Leucadian

There is an Overdrive Signature 50, which has the Classic Reverb for the clean channel and the Classic Type 1 Lead channel for it's Lead Channel.

It's been advertised and is hardly the joke you make it appear to be as some rather good intentioned, intelligent and very hard working people invested lots of time and energy to make it all work.

Sorry that you haven't the common courtesy to show any respect for the work of others...

...and your admission to just making it up is in fact an admission of guilt / slander so you just put yourself in checkmate...

I'd strongly advise you let this issue disappear as quickly as it came. You are dead wrong here so let it go...
...thanks CliffC...

Joe Mlog

New Two Rock Models for 2008-2010

Classic Reverb Signature
Classic Reverb Signature , Version 2 (with Blue faceplate)
Custom Overdrive Classic
Custom Overdrive Classic Signature
Custom Overdrive Classsic Signature, Version 2
So, I assume you know more about our current and future product line than I do? Or is this supposed to be funny?

cander328

I own a Two Rock CR Sig v1 and a Two Rock LTD (running in class A with El-34s) and also have several '64-'65 blackface fenders. I would not call the clean on the CR Sig V1 Fender-ish. It has far more midrange and tonal complexity than my '64 Deluxe or '65 PR. I can scoop the mids to get close but that is not what this amp is about to my ears. I actually really dig the full round in your face cleans on the CR Sig v1 and would really miss this in the newer line. I also really like the OD side of the CR Sig and find it to be more harmonically complex and with a quicker response than my BF Fenders with every pedal that I have tried. The LTD in Class A mode with the EL-34s is killer and definitely gets into Marshall/Trainwreck territory with it's Trainwreck transformers.

My point is that I would not assume that the new line is for everyone and I applaud Two Rock for the diversity of product that they are making. These amps are amazing and each model seems to be different. I also think this diversity is why these are a completely new line (Classic) and not a new version of a previous product.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
In Joe's post was Scraig's Two rock line-up a joke?

Trending Topics