Two Stage Overdrive Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AshlandBump, Sep 18, 2005.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I have a Tim but I'm considering alternatives. I'm looking for a two stage overdrive pedal. Ideally, the first stage should be low gain - something to boost the volume, add a touch of rasp, and thicken the tone - as close to a Klon as possible. The second stage should have a fair amount of gain, without fizz/fuzz. Some of the pedals I'm considering are:
    Pro Analog Dual Drive (doesn't seem to have any adjustments for the second stage though)
    Menatone Fish Factory
    Burriss Boostiest

Opinions on those, given the criteria, or other suggestions?

Thanks

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

FoxRox ZIM
    Read up about ZIMCards, order swapping, etc.
    Best two stage OD I've ever played and on the board the ZIM is on, I actually keep home by Shiva channel switcher.

www.foxroxelectronics.com

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

you definitely want a TC Jauernig DGTM. This baby can go from low to mid gain, and even has a toggle switch for gritty, transparent OD/smoother, more compressed OD (great for blues!).

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted two switches in one pedal. However, this pedal is insanely versatile

4. jeak

jeak Member

5. 6789

6789 Member

The Blackstone Mosfet overdrive has two channels you can switch back and forth from low to higher gain. I love my Blackstone pedal. www.blackstoneappliances.com

6. rabbit

rabbit Member

I can only comment on the FishFactory and I loved it when checking it out in a store. Has the two options quite like you described them, low gain and higher gain sides. Unfortunately it´s wired the other way than you want it to be i think, higher gain side (right) into lower gain side (on the left). But that´s what I tell from where the input and output are, never looked into the box actually.
    Never played a Klon but the Red Snapper might be similar...

7. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Moe suggested the Jauernig DGTM and then realized that it was not two stage as requested. Tim Jauernig has a new pedal called a Gristle King that has a DGTM and a Luxury Drive in the same pedal. List price is about $200. It even has a toggle switch that allows you to switch the order of the two effects. I've never heard the DGTM, but I absolutely love the Luxury Drive, which is a nice boost with just a touch of hair and a slight treble boost. It sounds great between my Tele and Carmen Ghia.

John

8. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

TEXAS TWO STEP II!!! An AWESOME pedal in (roughly) the tubescreamer vein. More open sounding and more gain than a Fulldrive.

www.pedalworx.com

9. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I own and like the Fulldrive 2 and the Blackstone. Different beasts for different uses. I also lke the Tim but they are difficult to get hold of. I think the King of Tone is probably the best two channel thing around (ok it's more of a boost) but I've been on the waiting list for 6 months and have more or less given up any hope of being contacted.

10. Den

Den Member

You may want to also check out a Barber Burn Unit. It's not what I would call "two stage", but is two identical channels that can be independently set for anywhere from clean boost to saturated overdrive. Great pedal for my needs ... and it's also great stacked with my Tim.

11. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

my vote goes to the barber burn unit eq model. green channel is slight break up to medium crunch. red channel fills the gap up to pretty high gain. lots of bloomy feedback when set up right. extra eq controls behind the back panel to customize it to your set up.

12. Den

Den Member

That's the one!

13. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

I've had the Fulldrive, the Zim, a rehouse AC/RC Booster into one case (does that count?), but by far my favorite at this point is the Proanalog Dual Drive. It's amazing. You really have to play one to understand what the fuss is about. It's one of the few pedals I've played that really justify a $300 price tag. It's like adding an additional amp to your rig.