1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two strats, same price, which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by taylorman22, Feb 17, 2009.

Two strats, same price, which would you choose?

1. 2006 American Deluxe Strat

2. New 2008 American Standard Strat

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

I can't play either of these strats, but I have played the same guitars in Guitar Center and both feel the same to me. With that said, what would you choose?

Deluxe Strat: locking tuners, SCN pickups, S-1 switching, aftermarket tweed case

Standard Strat: Fender single coils, non-locking tuners, TSA02 case

2. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I prefer the vintage style saddles on the newer standards. I hate SCN and S1 anyway, but the tweed case is nice with the Deluxe. In the end, I'd go with the 2008 standard.

3. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Either way, I plan on replacing the pickups with Dimarzio Area 58's and a 61.

4. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

The new AM Standards are actually pretty cool. I'd probably go that way.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Deluxe, nothing to think about there.

I like the SCNs. I've said before, I have a friend with an original 63 Strat. Side by side, it's really hard to tell the difference in sound between my SCN loaded Strat and his. Mine plays a lot better though. I think a lot of the SCN hate is just because they're different, so people make up their mind they sound bad.

6. dazco

dazco Member

i had a deluxe and hated it. IMO the 2 screw bridge and super thin neck make for an anemic sounding strat. Even after putting van zandts in it it still sounded anemic. A super thin neck and 2 screw bridge IMO make for a skinny sound. The tone itself was nice as far as harmonics and basic tone, but it was just painfully thin and lacked sustain. The SCN's are tiring too after a while, which is why i installed van zandts and a HB in the bridge position. Still skinny tho.

Would the standard be better? I dunno....has the same bridge doesn't it? whats the neck like? I think it wouldn't be a lot different. Personally i'd go with a RI type or one of those vintage hot rods if you need the flatter board. Thier vintage truss rod necks with a bit of meat to them and 6 screw bridges make a huge difference IMO. Tone, fatness, dynamics, it's all better on RI types IMO.

7. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

I've had both in the past year...I voted for the new AmStd.
    The necks are very slightly larger (on the ones I've played anyway) and the finish does not seem as heavy.

8. empty71

empty71 Member

+1. The vintage style saddles are a huge plus point for me too. The SCN pickups pretty much sucks imho and the S1 is plain confusing.

9. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

I had the S1 on my 2007 AmDlx Tele and it didn't make a bit of difference. I couldn't hear any difference when it was engaged.

10. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Interesting, maybe yours wasn't working? All the S1 equipped guitars I've owned were easily discernible as they would go from ass to dirty stinking ass with a press of the button.

11. shane88

shane88 Member

+ 701

12. amphead777

amphead777 Member

That '08 Standard has the best standard pickups Fender has used since the late 60's. I was shocked when I played one. I wouldn't change them so fast. They still have the 60 cycle, but great strat tone.

13. grungebob

grungebob Member

about 5 months ago I bought (without playing) a 2007 AM Std, had the modern saddles ( i like em) but the singlecoils where just lifeless and sterile sounding, I have played the 2008 with vintage saddles and it sounded more open and organic. The necks are identicle so no issue there, allthough I'm sure at least here in the Uk they are advertising them with "Hand rolled fingerboard edges" ????

14. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Well you're planning on changing the pickups anyway and I'm not a huge fan of the circuit on Deluxes, so I'd go Standard. EXCEPTION: I'd take a V-neck Deluxe over a Standard. V carves are amazing.

15. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I prefer a deluxe because of the locking tuners, a rolling nut, and a Fender Deluxe 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo. The S-1 does not add much value. The SCN pickups are nice but swapping them out might be an improvement.

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

On the Teles, it switches the combined wiring from series to parallel. I couldn't hear much difference either. It's much more effective with Strats.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Saying an American Deluxe Tele sounds like ass or dirty stinking ass is :jo

18. Michael T

Michael T Member

I'd get the one that I like the most

19. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Yeah, the standards have the hand-rolled fingerboard edges. The deluxe I
    I'm talking about is actually $100 less, but it comes with a crappy aftermarket case, so I'd be spending $100 to buy the new SKB case. So, that's how I get that these are the exact same price.

20. grungebob

grungebob Member

then i guess flip a coin lol!