Two Stroke Amp by Dave Hunter

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Boogie92801, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

So,

There was a thread about his book but has anyone here built the amp he describes in the book?

2. boobtoob

boobtoob Member

Yes, it was my first build. I learned alot to say the least. And now I am "possessed" by the DIY bug. What other thread discussed the "Two Stroke"?

Regards,
    Boobie

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Well they discussed the book more than the amp but I am interested in that project.

How did it turn out? Is it a usable combo? I have plenty of usable amps for my gigs but a small combo to learn on and to jam at the house interests me. I have a couple of friends that are seasoned amp builders and I have access to their help if needed.

I was originally considering a Weber 5F2A or 5E3 kits but the two stroke looks interesting.

Can you describe it's tone? Can it get a decent clean at all? Was it difficult to build the first time?

How does it's volume compare to say a Princeton or a Deluxe?

4. boobtoob

boobtoob Member

The "Two Stroke" is probably, from what my novice building experience tells me, a 5F2A circuit...but hotrodded. (bigger PT and OT)

It is the first Class A amp I have used, so I can't faithfully compare it to others I use. I also built Mission Amp's 5E3...the two sound similiar to my ears...you know...the tweed sound...kinda dirty, but kinda clean. It's not as clean as my 100 watt Twin, but I didn't/don't expect it to be. Being mostly a country player, I like the way the "Two Stroke" adds just a little bit of overdrive and can still twang with a tele plugged in. IT IS LOUD ENOUGH for a gigging country band, for sure.

I would include some sound clips, but I'm not sure how to do it on this board. It was a fun build, easy instructions, and Dave replied to may emails quickly and friendly.

I did increase the first power cap and add a choke to quiet it down, but other than that, it is a keeper. I used the higher voltage tap, I think it is 330.0.330. The dual 6V6's have close to 400 on the plates, but they haven't shown any un-natural red glow...yet. With the 300.0.300 tap, I got about 325 on the plates, with less headroom. I'm thinking of putting in a dpdt toggle switch to have both taps easily available.

5. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Sweet! That sound like it would be fun and practicle too. Did you make the 1x10,1x8 or a 1x12?

I was thinking of a 2x10 or 1x12 and I would do the cab myself. Oh, did you get the kit or did you source the parts?

6. boobtoob

boobtoob Member

I order the complete kit, cab and 12" celestion, but now I kinda wish I would have just ordered the chassis only. Not that the celestion is bad (it rocks big time), but I like the idea of having all my amps interchange-able with different speaker cabs. I have an old gutted Fender Twin cab with 2 12" eminence speakers...made it into a closed back cab by glueing (sp?) a big piece of plywood over the open back. It makes for a great speaker setup that is interchange-able with other amp heads. The "Two Stoke" pushes more air with the 2 12" setup, IMO.

The only parts I sourced myself were:

60uF filter cap Antique Electonics
    choke from Ted Weber
    22 gauge solid core hookup wire (easier to work with than stranded, IMO)
    SPST toggle switch (to switch the NFB in/out)

I had to buy an expensive Unibit for my drill press as the chasis Dave sent me had changed from parralleled output tubes to single output setup. I am not sure why he changed that particular feature. Maybe he couldn't find the hotrodded chassis punched with the necessary holes. I like the option of 2 6V6's parrallel, so I drilled the extra chassis hole, and he sent me and extra 8 pin socket, no charge.

Good luck with the project, if you get stumped, feel free to ask any questions. I visit this board and many others when things get slow at work.

Regards,
    Boobtoober

7. Oatman

Oatman Member

Just finished studying Dave Hunter's book. Have a million questions!

I'm starting to slowly acquire the parts for the two stroke, as the kits are on hold for a while...

I was thinking of using Mercury magnetics for the tranies. Which one looks right for the Hammond 125ese OT and Webber w022772 125p1b PT?

On that note, I'm rather fuzzy on exactly the differences between an OT and a PT??? One supplies voltages for the tubes, heaters, leds, and the other powers the speaker? Are they essentially the same thing and it's just called an OT when it's at the one end and a PT when it's on the other? Could the PT for one amp be in theory the OT for another?

TIA!!!

8. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Power transformer and output transformers are not interchangeable; the wiring is different and they are wound to make very specific up or down conversions between high and low voltages (and vice-versa). Output transformers also come in different functional designs, single-ended (one tube, or parallel wired tubes) and push-pull (two or more wired in opposing pairs). Again, different wiring, and different applications.

9. epluribus

epluribus Member

Do a bit of digging around builder websites for transformer opinions. Heyboers get some pretty good press, (As do MMs, to be fair.) but you don't pay nearly as much as you do for what seems to be the MM brand name. Some builders even like the Heyboers better. Kinda looks like there's some clever marketing even in the transformer biz.

--Ray

10. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

I made my Two Stroke about two years ago. It was a nice little project where i learned a lot. My first one. I didn't buy the kit so i bought my parts from different places. I just used more powerful OT and PT, and a different speaker.

Here's some writing, pics, and clips i did at the time:

http://www2.uiah.fi/~jlummaa/two_stroke/

11. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

cool page Janne. How much $ did you have in that project?..if you dont mind me asking.

12. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

Thanks!

I haven't calculated exactly but my estimation is 700-800 € ;)

13. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

I'm going through Dave Hunters book with intentions of eventually building the Two Stroke, (my first build!), but I would like to add a reverb tank to the circuit. If anyone has ideas on how to do this... much appreciated!

14. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

On the subject of transformers and chokes, John at Dixie Soundworks is great. He's very knowledgeable, and can usually point you in the right direction if you have tech questions. He has a wide range of stock models, and can custom wind vintage-type-construction and special-order transformers and chokes to spec also. Prices are reasonable, and service/shipping is quick. I've had great satisfaction in all my dealings with Dixie Soundworks over the years.

DIXIE SOUND WORKS.--382A Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, Alabama 35976. Telephone: (256) 582-2425. Fax: (256) 582-6681. Email: jeg.dixie@mindspring.com. Contact: John Gurley.

Good luck!
    Cheers!

Strat

15. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

On your Mission 5E3, do you find it to be very compressed and saggy when you crank it?

That's pretty much the description of a cranked 5E3 I suppose, but I've been plagued by having my Greer Underdog 15 Mod 1 to compare it to, and that little amp just chews a stock 5E3 out and spits it out. It's got more headroom before power supply sag, but don't mistake that for "clean headroom". It's crunching at 2 on the dial. I didn't realize the difference until I played it next to my stock 5E3 through the same cab.

Nick uses beefier transformers and a slightly higher gain preamp and a few other tweaks that make the "Mod 1".

I can't leave mine well enough alone. I'm experiementing with transformers and stuck a master volume in there. Also experimenting with coupling caps, cathode bypass caps, load resistors on the preamp tubes, and hacked out the normal channel and am going to play with some cascading of gain stages. Also, tone stack stuff too!

When I'm done, I don't think I'll be able to use Tweed OR Deluxe in the name :)

16. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

17. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

The latest news is that a new kit from Victoria will be coming out.

18. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

The Hunter book amp has a lot in common with the amp on the Angel Electronics how-to section:
    [​IMG]

19. Curly

Curly Member

I have the book and sourced parts for the amp build, started then put it aside a while back.

I've been keeping my eye on Dave's myspace, since it looks like the Victoria kit will be available soon.

IMO, this would be a good first build for those who are looking at doing a DIY amp.

The circuit is based on a tweed Princeton, but tweaked, and with the book you have some pretty good documentation (except for a few errors).

I'd expect that with Dave and Victoria collaborating, the new kit should be great.

the only other caveat I have is that potential builders should understand the amp they're building BEFORE putting in the time and effort, so that the end product suits they're needs.

20. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I just ordered the book and expect to start a build this summer. I was hoping to find a Harvard/Deluxe hybrid type tweed kit.

Most importantly I would like to find a good DIY community that I could turn to for questions. Other people who have experience with the same kit I am trying to build. Any suggestions?

GrooVey Records
    EnJoY ThE MuSiC