1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Two TC Flashbacks on the Board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Pup, May 17, 2011.

1. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I am thinking of putting two TC Flashback delays for my new studio board.

Typical use: First one set for delay, feeding the next one set for sound-on-sound looping (Frippertronics-like stuff).

Or, should I feed the TC Flashback (in loop mode) with an El Capistan (or other)?

Note: I have a TC Flashback and it is a great little toy.

Any thoughts? Any one else running two TC Flashbacks?

Thanks in advance!

2. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I would go TC plus El Cap. Nothing wrong with two of the same delay, though. The guys from Minus The Bear use 4 Line 6 DL4's each.

3. gunihoon

gunihoon Member

+1 on EL Cap + FB. Have them on my board and they rock :)

4. Island3r

Island3r Member

Alternatively, you could try the Flashback with an EHX Freeze.

5. barney steele

barney steele Member

I run my FB and a 616. I've always been a fan of the digital/analog delay combo.

6. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Why not get a looper for sound-on-sound??

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The Flashback is killer and I would have no problem putting two on my board
    Maybe even three!
    I'd love to have a "Print Shop," from TC.
    Basically, a multi-effects where you could load up ANY pedal's TonePrint in three different 'slots.'

I heard the looper had some issues, though, and needed some updates, no?

8. The Pup

Thanks to all for the replies--good food for thought.

I spent some time using the FB looper function and I am having some difficulty adapting to it (it's a timing/intuition/feel sort-of issue).

I suppose I should look at a looper option (I have a Boss RC2, Timefactor & Echoplex Pro in use elsewhere).

I am looking for:

- A not-too-big footprint (if possible) on this specialty board.

- An unbuffered option; but I could make anything work with enough real estate and a bypass circuit (if necessary).

- A sound-on-sound/repeat-hold delay paired with a simultaneous (or continuing) delay.

I had a similar setup in the early '80s with an Effectron unit and a Boss DM-2 (I still have the board). A few years ago I dusted it off and I soon realized why I needed the Hush B noise reduction unit to tame the unwanted background wash. The repeat/hold function was primitive, but worked well for a minimalist/polyrhythmic application.

9. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

The FB isn't the best looper because the mix knob dictates the output of both, the original and looped signals. Sux. I have a DMM into the FB into an Akai Headrush. I haven't used many loopers, but I can say that I find the HR easy to use and quite inspiring.

10. The Pup

How's the noise level with the HR? It seems to be a "mature" platform.

11. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I have the E2 and the noise levels are fine. There is no added noise when used in the effects loop of the Shiva or Mesa Mark III. I have read about some noise issues with the first version.

12. The Pup

Thank you.

13. The Pup

I went with the FB (buffer on), El Capistan and a Freeze...great fun!

As for looping, I may look into a Boss RC-3 (I may need a little quantize help). The FB and El Cap will do in a pinch.

What I really miss is the repeat button on my old Effectron delays (I do not miss the noise though). I wonder if there is a modern delay with a simple "repeat" button function?

Oh, I picked up a Lex too...too much fun!

14. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Probably the most economical option.

15. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Well I just got my Flashback yesterday and really like it! It's awesome! I am planning on putting 2 of these on my board, especially cuz of the toneprints. I just downloaded the PGS EP-3 toneprint and I definitely have to have one Flashback just dedicated to this delay sound. And since Im the lead singer I can't reach down and change things all the time. But since I already have one, I plan on getting a carbon copy before getting another flashback.

16. Bleach265

Bleach265 Member

Steve Morse, according to the TC website, uses 2 Flashbacks - if it's good enough for him...