Two Timmy's vs a TIM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shawntp, Apr 28, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

Hello folks - Ive been putting off buying a Tim/Timmy for a while now and I think I am just going to take the plunge/overpay a little and pick one up to try.

I like a full range of OD and currently stack two Fulltone OCD's together both set at low/med drive settings. I like the sound but I am gonna give the Tim/Timmy a spin finally.

So my question is - Since I do seem to love stacking drives - I am not sure what I should take the plunge on first. I could see a TIM being a nice all in one but I imagine if I bought a timmy I might find myself wanting another one down the road in terms of drive/versatility/etc.

Can anyone comment on the Timmy stack vs Tim in terms of versatility/drive/etc.

Whats throwing me off is probably IMO there is a sweet spot in the drive settings of my OCD's where I think two set at low drives kills the sound of one at higher drive. I used to like the sound of my OCD at low drive into the fulldrive over the Fulldrive with its own boost. I am sort of leaning towards getting a single Timmy now and then leaving the door open to add a second one down the road but it would obviously be cheaper to just get the TIM if it achieves the same result.

2. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

I feel, in fact I know, you wouldn't need to stack 2 Timmy's because you can achieve the same result out of the Tim by using the boost function for your second stage of gain. I've been using one for a couple of gigs now and can't believe how great my tone is with this thing and why I haven't had one in my rig sooner! Worst part of all is that I work with Paul building these things!LOL! I still kicking myself and giving him grief about this but it really is the Sheite Muslim of OD/Boosts for me because I play vintage Strats thru vintage NM Marshall 100 watters and it makes them sound like big,phat P-90's/humbuckers instead of single coils! I could go on and on about how good it is but there is no turning back for me because this is now my go-to gas pedal for my rig and I couldn't be happier now that I finally got one!:RoCkIn

3. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

4. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

I was in the same boat last year. I loved the Timmy and I thought having 2 Timmy's would be more versatile than 1 Tim. At one point I almost called Paul to ask if he ever built 2 Timmy circuits into one enclosure (never did ask him).

But then I played a Tim. The boost function sounded much better than I expected, it adds this unique gain, not too gritty but dynamic, to the sound while adding volume. Plus, the asymetrical clipping pull-knob adds even more gain possibilities.

Buy a Tim to start, see how you like the boost & clipping functions. You may find it's enough. You can always add a Timmy later to give you even more versatility: 1 Tim + 1 Timmy.

5. sandman

sandman Member

+1

yeah, Tim's boost is reeeally nice...add a Timmy later, you'll love it's EQ abilities in 'fixing' yr other dirt stomps, it can be an extremely useful tool that way.

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

A TIM will have you doing less rapid tap-dancing as you can completely bypass with one button push.

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

You can order a TIM to have assymetrical clipping toggles, too

8. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I have a Tim and Timmy on order...I've heard so many great things about both I just have to see which is ideal for my set up.

9. giggedy

giggedy Member

+1 - very helpful. I stack a lot, and if it's a quick change, i make sure that I have that boost on so that I don't have 2 other overdrives making as much gain happening.

If you want to hear the Tim cranked, listen to Butter Your Bread off my band's myspace. The beginning is Tim cranked, alone. The improv has a ts9/silver in there as well towards the end.

10. brent

brent Member

With a clean amp I like the TIM at the front of the chain as a dual stage overdrive and an always-on Timmy at the end of the chain to goose the signal a bit. If I recall the Timmy is equivalent to the boost side of the TIM - that is it has more gain than the TIM first stage but not as much as the TIM with the boost engaged.

11. giggedy

giggedy Member

As I know it, Timmy is the same as the first stage of Tim, exactly. I hope someone else chimes in to clear up the confusion.

12. guildchild

guildchild Member

for the money (an extra $105) get a tim AND timmy. you can sell it immediately if you feel the tim is enough. i'm amazed at what these 2 pedals (and their various stacking options) can do.

i thought about selling my tim and running 2 timmy's, but i've found where i "need" the tim.

i play SC's mostly live, but then the other day i took a gibson to a show and my only thought was "THAT's why i own the tim".

if you're thinking of buying 2 of paul's pedals, i'd get one of each and see where it takes you.

13. meterman

meterman Member

Not quite, the gain pot value is different so it's got more gain than the unboosted side of the TIM. There were some numbers floating around awhile back, I'm guessing but if TIM1 was 700, Timmy is 1000 and TIM2 is 1500. Something like that but you get the idea. I think you can order the Timmy with the same value gain pot as TIM1 though.

I'd say get the TIM. Both are exceptional pedals but I find the original TIM is tough to beat.

14. emeka

emeka Member

Hey-
    I've been trying to get on the list for a Tim, but have not heard from Paul and don't know if I have the right contact info... Can anyone help me out with an email or phone for him? Thanks in advance.

15. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

16. giggedy

giggedy Member

615-896-8555 actually, different area code.

17. emeka

emeka Member

Done and done. Thanks!

18. shawntp

shawntp Member

Thanks guys - I've purchased a TIM to play around with. I overpaid about ~$50 or so but i don't really mind, if it works out Ill have another drive to sell and if it doesn't i know it will sell for the same I paid.

19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

im actually i two-timmy user (that sounds like . . . . weird. . no?)
    two time loser? only i don't LOSE nuttin' with the timmy. . .

anyway. . .

the timmy has the flattest eq i know of from a drive pedal. the silver kiss is purdy darn flat too, but the gain structure is not very similar.

i like to mix up my PLACEMENT of the two pedals so that the timmy is used for its darn self. . . and then as an eq/boost for other pedals (like a RAT, whose distortion i love, but hate the eq).

. . .so i'm a two-timmy guy.

ONE day. . . i think i'll try a tim.

. . . just to hear the boost circuit.

lately, however, i'm all about the song over the sound. . . 'specially because i have the sound thing down now. . .

20. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

I just spoke to Paul and ordered a Tim. Paul seems like a great guy and was really willing to take the time to answer my questions. This will be my 1st dirt pedal. It will be a very small board with a Korg DT-10 tuner and a Boss RV-3 reverb/delay.