Two Tone Sparkle Strat finish

RvChevron

Who can do a finish like this on a traditional strat body (with bigger rounder body edge radius than the Grosh body in the photo)?

2rcchp.jpg

In these two colour combo:

Top:
gf484_lg1.jpg

Side and back:

sz4098092_lg1.jpg

gkoelling

That'll cost a few dollars!

I have no experience with him but every time a high-end, custom paint question comes up, Mark Jenny is mentioned.

Good luck in your search and please post pics when you get it done. That's a nice color combo.

RvChevron

That'll cost a few dollars!

I have no experience with him but every time a high-end, custom paint question comes up, Mark Jenny is mentioned.

Good luck in your search and please post pics when you get it done. That's a nice color combo.

Yep. I got a quote for $600. Only if the body has sharp edge like the Grosh and not a strat body.

Still looking!

gkoelling

I think the thickness of the finish depends a little on the size of the flake.

It takes a lot more clear to even out a big metal flake finish.

Jim Soloway

Just my opinion, but I think with a rounded edge, the two tone you want may not work. Where (and how) would you do the transition from the sparkle top to the non-sparkle back and sides without a sharpe edge to define an abrupt end of the top surface?

RvChevron

Just my opinion, but I think with a rounded edge, the two tone you want may not work. Where (and how) would you do the transition from the sparkle top to the non-sparkle back and sides without a sharpe edge to define an abrupt end of the top surface?

Yeah, I've talked to two finishers and both said the same thing you do.

I guess I'll need to order a body with proper sharp edge.

Jim Soloway

Yeah, I've talked to two finishers and both said the same thing you do.

I guess I'll need to order a body with proper sharp edge.

Or alternately you can keep the rounded edges and do the entire body in a sparkle finish. It really depends on which is more important to you: the two tone finish or the rounded edges.

RvChevron

Or alternately you can keep the rounded edges and do the entire body in a sparkle finish. It really depends on which is more important to you: the two tone finish or the rounded edges.

What I didn't mention was the side and back would be semi-transparent mary kaye style but in that cream colour shown in the pic.

That's because I have a swamp ash body and would like to see the grain from the back of the body.

I think I'll get another body as I actually prefer alder for this project.

Thanks everyone!

EunosFD

IIRC there is/was a forumite with a Stratoid (a nice partscaster I believe) which had a finish somewhat similar to what you're looking for. Well, it wasn't sparkley, but it had a solid finish on top and trans back. It was I think Ice Blue with a natural back (mahogany body I think). I'm sure you may be able to find pics of it if you dig around. Unfortunately I don't recall their username offhand, sorry. But the finish idea/execution was along similar lines.

RvChevron

IIRC there is/was a forumite with a Stratoid (a nice partscaster I believe) which had a finish somewhat similar to what you're looking for. Well, it wasn't sparkley, but it had a solid finish on top and trans back. It was I think Ice Blue with a natural back (mahogany body I think). I'm sure you may be able to find pics of it if you dig around. Unfortunately I don't recall their username offhand, sorry. But the finish idea/execution was along similar lines.

Found that one, thanks!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom