two volume pots on strat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Zander, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Zander

Zander Member

I'm looking to rewire a strat with two volumes and no tone with a three way switch, rather than the traditional one volume and two tone controls.

is this feasable?? does anyone have a link to a instructions or a diagram.

thanks.:D

2. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

You might try www.guitarnuts.com. This guy has a lot of good information, and while your exact question my not be answered there, I think you'll still find a lot of cool options you may not have considered. Good luck.

3. mofinco

mofinco Member

I do that on most of my guitars, including my strats and my Tele. I use one volume control on the neck/middle pickup, and the other as a master volume. On the Tele, I do without a tone control.

In my arrangement, the 'volume' control for the neck and or middle pickup is more of a 'blend' control. I use it to vary the 'mix' of the pickups when the neck and or middle pickup is combined with the bridge pickup.

4. Zander

Zander Member

Mofinco,

do you know of a schematic or wiring diagram that is available on the net??

5. mofinco

mofinco Member

Whew! Zander - sorry about taking so long to reply - I haven't looked at this thread in ages, obviously.

There probably isn't a diagram anywhere on the 'net for it - It's a variation of something I came up with for my two-pickup guitars - I call it the Rick Circuit - Click Here - On my neck-through strat, the blend control (second volume) controls both the middle and neck pickup. On my blue MIJ Squier, I have the middle pickup completely disconnected so the extra volume control is wired just like a Gibson-style implementation of the Rick Circuit.

When I get home tonight I'll pull the back cover off my neck-through strat and see if I can draw up a quick diagram for you.

EDIT: UPON FURTHER REVIEW... I misled you. I apologize. When I got home and opened up my neck-through strat, I found that the extra volume control only controls the middle pickup, not the middle AND neck pickup. The reasoning was the same - use that control as a blend knob when I'm using either the bridge/middle combo, or the middle/neck combo. The middle pickup lead goes to the volume pot first and then to its normal spot on the switch.

I still think it can be done, but I need to get something straight - do you want the middle/neck pickup volume control to be completely independent of the master volume?

Like, have one volume control for the middle/neck pickups and a separate volume that controls the bridge pickup, or...

Have one volume control for the middle/neck pickups and then an overall master volume for the whole guitar? :confused: