Two wah pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cue311, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cue311

cue311 Member

Someone plug in two wahs, sit down and work them both and tell me what happens!

I am looking for something that would allow me to run my wah before or after my dirt pedals, and thought "well, maybe I should just buy another wah", so of course the next thought was "wth?".

Does the first wah wah the second wah? What happens at the top of the sweep, or the bottom. How about one at the bottom and one at the top, alternating?

I need to know!

2. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

I don't have two actual wah wahs to try out exactly what you're asking about, but I do have a wah and an envelop filter and I can tell you that using the wah as a "fixed wah" and then running it into the envelop filter to get a wah effect yields some pretty incredible, but noisy, sounds, especially for leads! :omg

3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

SRV used 2 wahs sometimes (both together)... one example is Say What... i'm pretty sure it just made the effect more exaggerated

4. Wootie

Wootie Member

Tim Commerford of Audioslave / RATM uses 2 Bass Crybabys at once. Sounds awesome to me.

5. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I have an EQ pedal and a wah-wah together.

6. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I have played 2 wahs at once several times. I have a Clyde Deluxe, a 535Q and Q-Zone I experimented with. With one 'parked' and the other one sweeping, some pretty cool sounds can be had. Sweeping both opposite of each other (one going up while one goes down) isn't as cool as I thought it might be though. Its fun to mess with, but I recommend you sit down for it!

I like the sound of wah after and before dirt pedals too. My solution is to put a treble booster before the wah, and a Full Drive 2 after the wah. Both ways sound great to me. I also have an octave pedal before the wah, and another octave after it. I guess you either need 2 wahs, or 2 dirt pedals to get the different varieties.

7. XISTH

XISTH Member

8. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

Dang, that does sound cool. Thanks for the tip!

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I think the best results I have found came from running a wah into an envelope filter. It sounds good with some distortion, obviously, and actually a usable sound. I think you can hear the wah>envelope filter on the Zappa album, One Size Fits All.

I saw a friend use 'Wah Shoes' at a gig once. It was hilarious. The guy's a genius. Once ran for mayor of Raleigh, NC.

And then there's this fatback vid... see for yourself:

10. cue311

cue311 Member

Haha! That is awesome!

I like turning my wah around so I can use it with the back of my foot. Changes the accents I am used to playing.

11. Kelfecil

Kelfecil Member

....video made my day....

12. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

If you want to only use one wah, but have it either before, or after dirt,You can use one of these.
    These work great to switch the order of any 2 pedals (or more) in your chain.

[​IMG]

13. cue311

cue311 Member

I was looking for something like that, but ideally it would allow me to switch order around my OD's. Like, Wah - OD- Fuzz, Fuzz - OD - Wah. Would this do that?

14. cue311

cue311 Member

Hrm, so in from guitar, out to wah (A), in to Wobo, out to OD, in to Wobo, out to fuzz(B), in to Wobo, out to the rest?

15. wyatt3

I'm not sure now, let me think a minute here.

http://woboge.com/boxes_inverter.html

16. wyatt3

I think you would have to put the fuzz an OD together in one loop, and the wah in the other.

This would only let you flip the wah with the OD, fuzz, but not let you flip the order of the fuzz, and OD.

17. cue311

cue311 Member

Yeah, that seems to be the common configuration for these things. I wonder if it would be possible to jam a passive loop in there and flip the loops around it. Or something..

18. wyatt3

I had to have a custom loop switch made to do this.

You have to use a loop strip, like Loopmaster, or Road Rage.

Then say, you have Wah in loop 1, OD in loop 2, and Fuzz in loop 3.

You then connect loops 1 & 3 to a loop flipper switch (like I had made), and now you can flip the Fuzz, and Wah back and forth with the OD remaining in between them.

I use this for my Vibe, which I like to move before, and after Dirt. I always have the Wah at the beginning of the chain.

Tom, at Pedalracks, made 2 of these loop flippers for me, and they work great.
    This was the only way I could figure out how to do this, short of going Rack, and buying a Sound Sculpture Switchblade (which will switch the order of any effect in the chain).

19. cue311

cue311 Member

Hrm, that sounds like a good workaround. I was originally looking to keep my compressor, wah, and vibe movable, but I sold the vibe and am looking to ditch the compressor. I would have had to buy stock in cables!

20. wyatt3

You got that right!

Here's my loop flipper.
    16 jacks, total, just to flip the order of 2 pedals!

[​IMG]