TwoRock Overdrive Signature.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitar James, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Anyone played this amp? Is it a Custom Reverb with Sterling clean?
    I would like to know more.

2. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

No, it has more gain. Very expensive. Don't think it can do the Sterling cleans, but it's been a while since I played it.

3. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

PM Erdare, he owns one. Only owner I know of. very tough amp to get info on .... cliffc would be another resource, but I'm not sure he's played that particular model. I only know of about 3 in circulation, but there's likely more.

4. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Can you remember if it was Dumble style gain or a different take?
    Thanks

5. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I'd say it's not as Dumble inspired as say my Krinard Sig amp. That's why I bought that, not the TR ODS.

6. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

It is weird that there is almost no info on this amp, probably the price:eek:

7. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

8. jdh

jdh Supporting Member

The Overdrive Signature is a big powerful amp with a firm grip on the speaker. It will loosen up at high volumes, but it is not as pliable as a 50 watt or tube rectified amp. And it doesn't have that pure tone that you can only get with a tube rectifier. Like many D style amps it rewards the player with a decent guitar and the ability to play. It is articulate with pleasing overdrive, and it can be rude when required. Compared side by side with a Custom Reverb Signature or Classic 1 it is much fuller, warmer, and more expansive in both channels. This amp is a bad mother****er. If I were shopping today I would listen to the Classic 3 as it does have tube rectifiers, and I subjectively believe it is the Overdrive's main competition in their current lineup. Of course the case of diminishing returns comes into play with this kind of design. If a particular instrument rings your bell then go for it and worry about the price later. Besides, you can always take the bus to the gig.

9. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

10. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Sounds interesting, do you own this amp?

11. jdh

jdh Supporting Member

12. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Anyone else tried one?

13. T2tele

T2tele Member

jdh, described it to a tee with his post. I had a buddy’s OD Sig at my house for a week, and it "is" a big bad assed mother of an amp! It's best suited for an extremely good player, one who has great technique/touch and can really open up the amp. Even with the step down power levels, this is absolutely not for the bedroom or low volume player. I had it side by side with my CR Sig 1 and my D/13 FTR 37, the OD Sig was ((HUGE)) sounding in comparison.. in fact too huge, the bottom end shook my entire room/house. I couldn't get that huge-ness out of it and.. for my needs and likes, I much preferred the sound and usability of my CR Sig. To get the best out of the amp, it needs to breath up on the higher volume levels. Though.. at that volume it is glorious sounding!

The OD Sig is one of those “you need to be realistic” amps; unless you can honestly use it, then you will be disappointed? Two-Rock offers other great and usable amps, so take your time with your decision…

T2