Ty Cobb, Another Look

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by lousyatit, Apr 13, 2016.

1. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

2. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

3. deluxeman

deluxeman Member

Very interesting article, I think I will buy the book.

4. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Back then, there was no Internet and it seems documenting history was not that important.

I'm sure there are tons more myths that'll be uncovered in the future.

5. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Good read thanks for posting. Hopefully someone will also make a movie and further get the word out.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Good read. I too thought this guy was no good, based on the movie and other baseball lore. I read in DiMaggio's book by Ben Cramer, that Ty was actually quite helpful to Joe D. in getting his first contract negotiated.

lousyatit likes this.
  7. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

That is a reversal of the entire history of Cobb. Pretty amazing.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

I disagree. I think, in the future, facts will be ignored even more and interesting rumors or convenient myths will be repeated more often as fact. You're seeing it alot already. All sorts of stories are "published" these days with little to no factual documentation.

The Cobb article is fascinating. It's amazing/disturbing to see how falsehoods can be propagated as fact in such major, respected works (several biographies, a feature film, a Ken Burns documentary) without anyone really delving into the single, unreliable source they're based on.

9. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I have a whole bookshelf of baseball books. Roger Angell, Jim Bouton, George Will, Bart Giamatti, Lawrence Ritter, autobiographies, histories, reminiscences, and collected anecdotes. I consider myself pretty well-read on baseball history.

And NEVER have I read any inkling of what the OP linked. Fascinating and eye-opening! Thanks @lousyatit !

Tommy Biggs and lousyatit like this.
  10. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

thanks for sharing that - a real eye opener.

lousyatit likes this.
  11. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

"Louis Prima: With all the great players playing ball right now, how well do you think you would do against today's pitchers?

Ty Cobb: Well, I figure against today's pitchers I'd only probably hit about .290

Louis Prima: .290? Well that's amazing, because you batted over .400 a... a whole bunch of times. Now tell us all, we'd all like to know, why do you think you'd only hit .290?

Ty Cobb: Well, I'm 72 ****ing years old you ignorant son of a bitch."

skhan007, harry65, subtomic and 8 others like this.
  12. StanG

StanG Member

Convinced me. Too bad for Pete Rose that he can't look forward to the same sort of helpful revisionism.

13. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

awesome read! thanks so much for posting

lousyatit likes this.
  14. prototype

prototype Member

I've read a lot about Cobb, and not just the oft-repeated urban legends and crazy stories. I'd like to think i have a somewhat nuanced view of the man.

From what I can tell, Cobb was a tough, mean son of a bitch with a vile temperament. However, I don't think he was truly a bad person. Even the mean and vile are capable of touching kindness, gentleness, and genuine altruism. Real life people have many shades and layers to their personality. Cobb had personality to spare. As mean and tough as he was, I wouldn't mind having a guy like Ty Cobb as a friend.

15. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Huge difference between being just a miserable bastard and a murderer who used to sharpen their cleats into spikes so that he could purposely stab other players with them during in a game. This seems like a case of: if the legend is more interesting than the truth - print the legend. It is disheartening that so many like Ken Burns may have gotten it so wrong.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  16. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing! Great read. I guess the folks that write books and make movies don't always get it right, eh?

17. VanWhelan

VanWhelan Member

First - to the OP - thank you for posting this thread and making us aware of Charles Leerhsen's article. I, for one, feel terrible that for years I believed these stories about Cobb, as that's the only thing that people ever said about the man.

Spakuloid - you gave me a great idea: I think we should all start a petition, or start writing to Ken Burns. I would like to see Ken Burns work with Mr Leerhsen to make a new documentary film about Ty Cobb that tells the truth and sets the record straight. I know I would enjoy that film.

18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Great statement. Reminds me of the old lawyerly saying ... "When the facts are on your side, pound the facts! When the law is on your side, pound the law! When neither is on your side, pound the table!"

19. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

I've admired that writer, Charles Leerhsen, for a long time. Back when he was at Newsweek, he was the funniest writer on board. He did a big feature on Chuck Yeager, I remember, that I passed on to a bunch of friends. Later I used to see his stuff at Sports Illustrated (back when I used to read that magazine, when it was a well-written periodical).

It's an intriguing story he's telling. We all know how folks love to grab on to negative stories and prefer to believe them because it "sounds about right."

A-Bone likes this.
  20. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I wonder if it doesn't also spotlight just how much people naturally gravitate towards a perspective based on a preconceived world view. That is, more so than just preferring the negative, maybe it reveals how much our individual perspective is shaped by preconceptions not related to conscious choice, and how important it is for human development to have those perspectives challenged.