1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

tying musical notes to frequencies

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zenpicker, Aug 13, 2005.

1. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

I need to sharpen a specific note (acoustic guitar) with some slight EQ--the string was a little dull and I want to punch it up just a little. The note is an F#. If I go to the parametric EQ effect dialog in my audio software (happens to be Sonar), I can enter a specific frequency to which I would like to apply gain. How do I know which frequency to use if it's an F# I'm interested in?

2. elambo

elambo Member

I would NEVER suggest using eq by typing in frequencies - it's always better to use your ear because it might be a harmonic that needs attention, not the root note. But if Sonar is asking for a specific frequency, here they are in different octaves:

3. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

thanks, elambo, that actually did the trick for my dull note.

4. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Well, dumb luck, I guess, but rolling off that frequency a tad really did improve the timbre of the offending note. Knowing the frequencies at least gets me in the ballpark....though obviously the ear is the real test, as I would wholeheartedly agree.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Or you could forget ears and frequencies altogether and simply use The Force. :)