• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tyler burning water paint scheme.....

highfidelity66

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone have any idea as to how these paint schemes are done??? I am totally clueless:Spank I have painted a few guitars but would love to give this a try! Any suggestions??? Please chime in! thanks!

JPenn

I think it's similar to the old ESP Bruce Kulick/Vernon Reid finish where multiple colors are sprayed, then it's sanded deeper in various spots.

highfidelity66

Silver Supporting Member
thats kinda what i was thinking........ but it looks like on some models that the paint has a swirled quality to it.... can you spray that look? also im guessing the paint is metallic looking. Ive never seen one in peson so im just guessing..... thanks for the input! who else has some advice?? :)

Last edited:

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
I think there are a couple techniques going on. There appears to be multiple layers with sanding, but I also think that there is either some type of chemical treatment either after spray or to the paint itself.

spacebarmusic

There is totally some swirl going on in my guitar. It also seems it pretty hard for them to control at all.

Last edited:

DownByLaw

Silver Supporting Member
I remember reading an article about a finish that was very similar, (Ibanez Jem?) where the colors were sprayed (?) onto a liquid such as water, and the body was dipped in and cleared after. Sorta like easter eggs.

Patrick

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
I remember reading an article about a finish that was very similar, (Ibanez Jem?) where the colors were sprayed (?) onto a liquid such as water, and the body was dipped in and cleared after. Sorta like easter eggs.

Patrick
Yep, and many stompboxes like this as well. Could be one or more layers using this technique, with a final solid coat sprayed over the top and then the sanding begins...

Pfeister

Patrick
That's what I though when I first saw this. I don't think it's the same technique, but probably something similar. There's a dipping technique that involves borax and oil paint. The way the paint swirls around definitely reminds me of it, in a way.

highfidelity66

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for the input guys!!!! keep the suggestions coming!!! Im thinking it looks like it is a combination of a dip and then layering colors?? Killer guitar in that pic!!! IS that a schmear or a bunrnig water??

Steven

I have a Burning Water 2K and the finnish is just awesome. I have no idea how they do it - its a smooth satin feel to it but its also metalic in it and I have no idea how to sand a metalic paint without destroying it.

_MonSTeR_

The Ibanez Swirls are VERY different from the tyler burning water finishes. I'd assume that the Tylers are oversprayed with the next colour (maybe even whilst the layer underneath is still wet) and sanded through rather than the swirl and dip technique employed on the Ibanez JEM/UV guitars.

GearFlipper

They don't do Tylers in this fashion

Patrick

eliot1025

Assuming there are a few of us who know how it's done, we would have learned it from Tyler. Who else could we have learned it from? It's proprietary info. Sharing the process with anyone would ruin ones' relationship with Tyler. Why would we do that?

I can tell you this much about making shmears - they're a pain in the ass.

Trending Topics