Tyler...Got it and ?'s/comments

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by JackButler, Feb 6, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Finally came today! I was waiting and waiting! Great thanks to the seller whom threw in second day shipping! Wow!

Different at first, but not really.
    Very solid, not in a heavy way, feeling guitar. Plays just great! The edges feel good with the light scallop, certainly more than rolled! But, I used to always play fully scalloped boards so cool for me.
    My last thread on it with ?'s, in regards to the volume knob placement. Just enough lower than a normal strat that it isn't getting in my way. Now when it comes to live playing, it very well easily could as I have a wild right hand at times, but for now very comfy there.

Tone...
    After some time, I came to the realization...
    First of all, the pickups have to go! Said it came with Duncan Classic stacks, but neck and middle are measuring out around 12-13, and I am used to slightly overwound 60's, 6-7 on singles. So I am assuming swapping those out will make a huge difference to my ears.

Question #1...set the pickup height as you normally would?
    Again, the high output on these p/us's mess with my equation. It came with them pretty low, thus the tone didn't "flow" as it should, seems like it was working to get out some of those notes. Raised them up and too distorted, so obviosuly has to be the pickups themselves.

Question #2, any pickup suggestions for the neck.middle or even also the bridge? Sure wish it was routed for a regular hum! Think if i routed it, that it would kill it value wise? I doubt I would, but a hot PAF would kick ass in it and add real girth.
    I have been using Lollars and Bareknuckes, but open to what has worked for you guys.

Now, the mamywo wood...Certainly different! Even with the dislike of the pikcups, I can still hear things ya know.
    Unplugged, good resonance, just like the seller said it had!
    Plugged in, took me awhile. At first I thought it was choked, but it isn't!

1. I hear a VERY tight lowend, not nearly the boom of alder, thick, but doesn't have that bomminess. Make sense? I do wish it had more of the low push.

2. Plenty of highs, I know many have had issues with it taking too much off, but what I am hearing is that most of the highs are still there, just at different frequencies than we are used to. There, but way smoother and again tighter, thus the "ear feeling" of them not being there with normal playing. Listen and they are there.

3. Midrange is where this wood/guitar will/does shine! This is a lead player's guitar, for playing and the way mids just jump out. The tightness of the overall tone is something we are not used to I think, so ryhtmn tends to be way different, but soloing! Yowzas!

So, there's my first take review played through a Soldano and Marshall Slash head, Klon and regualr old TS.

2. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

with regards to the routing.... It's routed for a bridge hum and a swimming pool route, so you can go HSH if you wanted no problem!

And yeah, if you're used to 7K singles you woun'r like the classic stacks. You could have Jim wind you up a pair of JTS2500 or JTS2250 (alnico magnets either designed to work with 250 or 500 K pots) or you can get them with alnico 2 or 3 as well. The 3's sound kinda cool.

3. JackButler

Tyler does pickups now? Are they pricey?
    Cool, if it has the swimming pool route! That makes my pickup chpices easier...I think!
    I read in my other thread, the one guy said something liek the bad ones sound slike a compressor is on all the time. Anyone else think this? I sorta do, not that I think it is bad, just different.

4. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

actually Tyler pickups are very cheap here in the UK compared to other stuff, in fact when I bought some recently I thought the shop got the pricing wrong... great pickups BTW..

5. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

Suhr Fletcher Landaus will sound awesome in that Tyler.Have you checked under the guard?It may already be routed for a bucker from the factory.If so I'd go with a Suhr SSV+ or DSV+.Both split well.

6. JackButler

Haven't tried any Suhr pickups yet, I tend to go for the older, woodier toned pickups opposed to the more hifi tone dones. Actually the Lollars are little too hifi for me these days, that's why most fo my guitars are being switched over to Bareknuckles as they are just warmer overall.
    I do have a hotter set of Rio Rgandes that might sound great in it.

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

You may try Fralins. Also, on my Chapin, Bill used a Rio Grande in the bridge and it sounds great, just what you described.

Fender '69s may sound good.

8. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

The Suhrs are not hifi sounding.The Fls were modeled after Landau's 60's strat.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I agree with John Bell. I only have the Suhr Esquire, but the bridge pickup on that (John's Broadcaster pu) is NOT hi fi but very vintage sounding.

10. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

ehem *pics* cough...

11. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

12. Lemuel.Tan

Lemuel.Tan Member

I would say give a call to the Tyler shop and ask what they have to offer for pickups. I recently just got a SE Retro with a JB bridge that I changed to a Super (Tyler's hottest humbucker?). Just for that "completely Tyler" setup thing ya know? :rotflmao

No but in any case, I seriously think you should consider Jim's pickups, they are awesome! The ones I like most. That is if you are not too much on the vintage camp, otherwise, I would recommend the Suhr FLs too as someone else had mentioned.

13. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I think the Tyler pickups are as good as anything I've tried, better in fact than most. I have one of his "Shark" hummers in my classic and love it . . it splits wonderfully and is fat and warm . .I think it's his newest addition. His singles are stellar.

14. JackButler

I have a message into Tyler about their pickups.

15. Lemuel.Tan

Lemuel.Tan Member

Great! I really love his single coil JTS2250s, which I think he used to call JTVs. Not sure but you can check with him on that.

16. Ironman

Ironman Member

I like Tyler's single's. I've got 2500's in one and JTV's in another. I'm going to try Suhr's SSV this week sometime in place of the JB's. With all the rave reviews on Suhr's FL's I might check them out too. I'm just curious how they'd compare with Tylers single's...won't know until I try if I ever get around to it. Can't comment on his buckers...yet.

I totally agree with you regarding the mid response of Tylers. The Mamywo is supposed to be more even sounding than Alder which is what I've got. I can turn my mids down on my amps with my Tylers and still have a lot of mid punch. They're very woody sounding and play/feel like a dream. I do love my Tyler's!

17. suckamc

suckamc Supporting Member

Just don't use V60lp's if you think that guitar is teeming with midrange. The FL's are supposed to be a bit more scooped than the V60's.

18. Ironman

Ironman Member

Yeah, Tyler's don't need any help in the mids dept. I might even opt. for some Suhr 54's. FL's or 54's sound like good fits. The Tyler singles do sound great though. I wouldn't be surprised to find the Suhr's aren't any better.

19. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Silver Supporting Member

Jim has a couple of different singles available.

I really like the JTV (vintage) which I have paired with a Tyler Supercharged Studebaker in my main Tyler.

I would e-mail or call the shop (or ask Flinto).

Matt

20. JackButler

The guitar is growing on me!