Tyler Guitars - Pricing help

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by martie6621, Oct 17, 2005.

1. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

Tyler Guitars are very cool and desirable IMO. Anyone care to share how they are priced out? I mean, I have never seen a "retail price list" for Tylers. There are just a few JTGS dealers - does anyone have a feel for what the street prices are vs list? Typical discounts on Suhr/ Grosh/ Anderson tend to be in the 10-20% range off of suggested list. In reality, better deals can be had depending on the dealer. I just don't know what the baseline is on Tylers.

Anyone?

Thanks

2. John Bell

John Bell Member

In most cases Dealer cost is half of the list price.With only 10-20% discounting the dealers must be doing well.

3. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Not on a Tyler & most of the other gourmet stuff.

4. wodka

wodka Member

I think Tyler only allows a small discount (~5%) off of list. Most other builders allow 20-30%

5. brent

brent Member

Exactly, right around 5% is THE deal. IMO it's a big part of how they retain their value, it's a different model from the 50% big manufacturer cut altogether. More like Boogie.
    Retailers don't get rich selling Tylers even at close to $3,000.

6. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Yes, the street price on Tylers is very near to the list price.
    To say it in $$$, a 3000$ list would go for 2800-2750$ not much less.

7. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'm not sure this is how it works, but I think it is. Dealer cost on Tyler's are 20% off of list and the max they're allowed to discount them is 10%.

I have got some prices from some dealers that only come off 5%. I guess they can't survive on $200-$300 a guitar. I've never tried to run a store, so I'm not sure exactly what it would take per guitar to keep a shop open.

8. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Tyler guitars are fine instruments and I understand the importance of maintaining the value in their guitars.

There are a lot of great customer builders out there... Anderson, Suhr, and Grosh.

If you love the Tyler feel and vibe, then you're going to pay much more than one from another custom builder with simililar specs... it's just a fact.

9. nek

nek Member

It is possible to get a fair price on a Tyler. I maintain good relations with several dealers. I was surprised to learn how many people order through a waitinglist, play it once or twice and then turn around and sell it. Once it went on the wish list, it didn't take but a couple weeks for a dealer to call. This method didn't allow me to pick color (psychedelic vomit - yeesh).

10. KLB

KLB Member

Buy 'em used for $1800-2600.