Tyler guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gerryguitar, Feb 11, 2008.

1. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

now that Jim Tyler has laid to rest any rumours about what is happening at Tyler guitars... and as the last dealer orders are finished, does anyone believe the price of these guitars will rise..? not that I will ever sell my Tyler but will the value of the instruments go up as they will be harder to find...?? just interested in your thoughts on this...

2. suckamc

suckamc Member

That's a good question. Actually, the values have risen a bit in recent months. Remember, ebay is the real determiner of values. TGP'ers usually trade.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Probably yes, and to me that is sad: one more thing that goes from utility value to speculative value, from players to collectors, with the skill and involvment of the owners going down on average as the price goes up.

Now I'm more likely to see Tylers at collector, wankfes--oops, I mean get-togethers, than on a gig.

I know, that's the way it goes. I get it. Too bad though.

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Well said... very well said.

5. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I really wish it wasn't the case but they probably will go up... it's just the way these things go....

6. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

A strong secondary market supports higher new prices. If Jim chooses to build fewer guitars in a year at a higher price, and the higher used prices are what allow that to happen, that's a good thing (at least for Jim), right? Why the hand-wringing over the prices? There are plenty of great guitars out there... I don't think anyone will go without.