Tyler JTV pickups

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by suhr_rodney, Jun 15, 2006.

1. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I just got my first Tyler... well, actually two Tylers. :cool: One has Suhr V60LPs and the other has JTVs. The guitars are very different structurally, so it is impossible to compare/contrast the pickups. Anyone A/B'd the JTVs to other pickups and care to comment?

2. nek

nek Member

Not really familiar with the JTV reference. The single coils in my Tyler look and sound very much like Suhr. The only visual difference is magnet stagger and, of course, the name stamped on the pickup baseplate.

3. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

JTV = James Tyler Vintage ... not sure if he winds his own of if this is a custom wind from another builder. They use teflon insulated wire, whereas the Suhr V60LPs use cloth.

4. JPenn

JPenn Member

I have JTV's in my Hollow SE HDP. I'm really happy with the pups. They're nice and clear, but not shrill.

5. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I think Anderson makes some of the Tyler pickups. . not sure which ones though.

6. Heffjbaby

Heffjbaby Supporting Member

Tyler hasn't used Anderson pickups for many years. On the Classics it has usually been Fralin (Blues Specials) or for the past few years Suhr V60lp custom winds. Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups have also shown up in many Classics in the past few years (these sound great also with more push especially in the Mids). Tyler typically does not put a base plate on the bridge pickup, and his guitars consistantly sound bigger/fatter than many other 'S' type guitars.

Studio Elites have been Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio and Suhr.

I currently have two Tyler Classics, both alder body. One has a rosewood board and Suhr V60's. The other has a maple board and the new JTV singles. They are very close in weight.

Observations:
    V60 lp Rosewood Board - Wider frequency response, more upper harmonics, looser feel. Think Stevie Ray.

JTV Maple Board - More focused, more vintange, less percieved output. Very nice clarity and chime. With distortion tones are more focused, with great note seperation and punch. I dig them. :AOK I believe Jim winds these in-house, and he is also working on some kind of silent single coil as well.

For classic Strat tones both the JTV and V60lp offer two great options, with the JTV's leaning a bit more towards a 50's strat and the V60lp's.....well.......a 60's vibe. :D

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Have you considered the Suhr backplate version of the Silent Single Coil system? That way you could stay with the JTVs if you want.

8. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

The JTV’s are built by Jim using his own winding machine and his own parts. As with all things Tyler they have his unique stamp on them and there is really no other pickup out there that is built the same way.

JTV Tele and Humbucker pickups are also now available.

9. Heffjbaby

Heffjbaby Supporting Member

Sorry Splatt, but of all the flavas I've tried in a Tyler Classic the Area 61's are not one of them. I believe my one Classic had the Virtual 2.1's, but it can sometimes be daunting getting specific info from the Tyler shop:YinYang.

The vv's I had sounded very good in positions 1-3-5 (though again mid-humpity-hump-hump), but the 2 & 4 seemed to lose that magic open swirl that the JTV's have goin' on. That being said, if I was doing more recording than live work, I would be very happy with the dimarzios.

All this being said, when running through a bunch-0-dem fuzz boxes, sound man-nipplators, and thingys I got some of my best tones with the vv's. It is usually when listening critically with a pristine clean or unaffected dirt sound that I feel like the JTV's are like oxygen!

Look forward to your comments on the Area 61's. Peace.

10. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

A bit off-topic, but have you compared v60lp with rosewood board to v54 or v60 (non-lp)? I'm trying to decide which to get for my rosewood board guitar for neck and middle.

11. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

That's quite understandable. And the 80% seems about right except I divide Strat noise into 80% hum and 20 % hiss, the BPSSC eleminates 100% of that hum and leaves the 20% hiss, but that's just technical splitting of hairs. And the PCB, is simply a passive circuit assembly to hold two trim pots and a couple resistors that enable you to calibrate the noise canceling coil to the output of whatever pickups you choose to use. It's not like you are introducing the evils of PCB into your guitar.

I only see the SSC system as a way of allowing the player the freedom to use their own choice of pickups and not be tied to a single solution. Allowing the player to use vintage Strat pickups, Lollar, Fralin, or whatever. But if you think the Dimarzios sound better than vintage Stat pickups then the BPSSC would of course be overkill, I absolutely understand that.

12. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

The JTV's are amazing.

They retain all of that vintage honk of old Strat pickups but with more warmth. The mid boost really helps them come alive and gets you into solo land with no problem.

I like them more than the V60's in my first Tyler, or the VV's in my classic.

The 60 cycle is worth working around for the tone.

Matt V.
    Matt V.

13. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I have A/B'd the JTV's to VV's, V60LP's and regular V60's and the JTV's are MY preference for the vintage Strat tones with a little warmth.

Jim is buiding amazing pickups and they work well for nailing all of those Hendrixy tones.

Matt V.