Tyler- mamywo vs. Traditional wood

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jujo, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Hey Tyler people-

I'm jonesing for one of these babies. I've been jonesing for a year. I've played 4 Tylers and I preferred the Mamywo. Although the others were most excellent as well. I've read from others that they find the Mamywo pretty dark sounding. I don't remember it being that way, I found it full sounding and I was able to get very pleasing strat tones. I'm a big Walter Becker fan and every Tyler I've played has been the closest that I've come to Becker tones. Very clean, full, and still with lots of springiness. The sounds I was getting were both smooth and springy/bouncy-at the same time. I'm not looking for an anemic vintage strat sound with all that nuance. Not a diss just a matter of opinion.

So I want to hear others experience before I plop down the dough. I play lots of funk and motown and still I preferred the Mamywo. So I'm a little confused as to why so many have said Mamywo is too dark. I've never played a plain alder Tyler, the alder one I played had a quilt maple top. Am I missing something? Am I the only one that has found Mamywo to be suitable for all styles of music- including traditional strat sounds?

Are they people that explain exactly what they preferred about their non-Mamywo Tylers?

Thanks for any input...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

For the Walter Becker sound you need the Sadowsky Walter Becker model. Here is the one I have coming this week:

[​IMG]

I also love my Tyler. Its Alder, but the tone isn't dark, its very balanced with plenty of quack.

[​IMG]

3. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I have a Mamywo Burning water Tyler and its very fat sounding... not dark.. I think the description of the sound gets mixed up sometimes... its a fatter sound than alder for sure but it still has a very nice high end.. its definately different... and quite addictive.. I also have an alder bodied strat with a Suhr DSV and FL's and its not as fat sounding.. I love both tones for different things.

4. thenine

thenine Member

I have a mamywo also. Very fat sounding with sweet mids. Tylers rule!

5. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

I have a Mamywo Ice Water...no way is the guitar dark. It's fat, but not dark...and neither is it fat in a LP way, just a nice midrange fullness. Plus the thing is under 7lbs....Mamywo is crazy light....another bonus for gigging.

6. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Well I bought Mamywo. So I guess that's that. I preferred it in person and in sound clips. I sure as **** hope it works for me. Big investment. I'll try different pickups if I think a change is in order. No matter what, it's going to be a while before I can afford a swap- if indeed I determine a swap is needed. Hope not.

7. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Agree with everyone's comment

Fat with nice mid sounding wood.

8. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

There is no known wood species as Mamywo. Mamywo is Tyler's made up word for Poplar. No lie. He has a sene of humor. It's poplar. Read up on the tone of poplar. That's it. Really.

9. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

where did you get this information..?

10. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Sure & next you're going to tell us that there's no natural organic substance known as mother of toilet seat.

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Love Tyler Burning Waters.
    All I have played have been Mamywo.
    All I have played were righteous.

S.
    j

12. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

There's mention of it on TGP in another thread. Its a tree from Asia, I can't find the thread right now. But there was a good explanation of it.

13. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

Mamywo as a species of wood dosen't exist... Jim Tyler indeed did name this wood...
    Ma..(Maylasian)
    My..(Mystery)
    Wo..(Wood)

but it isn't Poplar...

14. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

mother of toilet seats not real?!? Blasphemy

15. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

It's called jeut Long or something like that, it's in the mahogany family.

Poplar.....sheesh, where do you people get that kind of frikken information.

16. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

It may be close to mahogany on the ole family tree, but to me it doesn't sound like mahogany. Maybe only in that it has a higher mid content than alder or ash. But I've played 2 mamymo guitars and the single coil sounds were very strat like to my ears. With increased mids- which for me is a good thing. Somehow though, even with the increased mids, the strat vibe is not lost. It seems like the mamywo guitars were being 2 different things at the same time. I could go from strat funk to full robust jazz tones just by playing with the pickups, tone, and boost. Damn. That's bad ass.

BrightCanon likes this.
  17. Komet

Komet Member

Ha!

18. Sammo

Sammo Member

I guess it's supposed to be Jelutong :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelutong_(tree)

It also appears to be gum tree that latex is made of. So it may even be true that some birth control devices I have used are made of Mamywo, so malaysian mystery wood has whole new meaning.

19. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Watch out for splinters.

20. JPenn

JPenn Member

There was a couple of lure companies using it to make crankbaits out of because of it's light weight. I think they were trying to replace balsa.