Tyler ... mid-boost yea or nea?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bigredhaus, May 3, 2005.

1. bigredhaus

bigredhaus Member

I'm thinking through my dream guitar ... a Tyler ... and would love to hear your thoughts on the mid-boost system. If I go with it I will have the bypass option also. Pickups will be VV's and a covered Trembucker.

Is the mid-boost worth it? Does it add that much to the guitar?

Thanks for your input.

Scott

2. nek

nek Member

I used mine a lot when I first got the guitar. And I thought it was a pretty keen feature. Like it made the guitar distinctive. Then I installed a bypass switch. And the times I used the mid-boost got less and less to the point where I don't use it at all any more. And I realize there are a lot of reasons to like a Tyler. Not just the mid-boost gimmick.

3. bigredhaus

bigredhaus Member

Nek,

What did you use it for? And why did you use it less ... how much does it change the sound?

Scott

4. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

I have a mid boost with bypass in my burning water and I use it a lot. If you sometimes long for big, sweet tone, it can help you get there. I recommend getting it with a bypass switch.

5. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

I have a Tylyer classic with the noisless pickups and it already has this incredible mid thing going on.....doesnt need the boost

6. De - Fre

De - Fre Guest

I used to play my tyler through transistor amps and a tonelab, then couldn't hear the boost. Now I play, with a marshall studio 15 (all tubes). That's a great feature!

Fred

7. nek

nek Member

Heya Scott,
    With the stock setup on the guitar, the buffer was never really off, just a variable amount of mid-boost. I was going guitar straight into the amp with minimal effects and rolling on the mid-boost was just the thing to fill out the bridge pickup and push the amp. Folks who heard it were declaring this Tyler a guitar that could sound like either a Gibson or a Fender.

The trouble was I couldn't use the Tyler with vintage effects like fuzz or wah. Some wierd interaction with the mid-boost buffer. That was the real reason I originally put in the bypass. The surprise was the Suhr single coils in the neck and mid positions. They really started to sparkle once that buffer was bypassed. I've also since run across a mid-boost pedal I like a whole lot more than the Demeter. So even when I need mid-boost, I don't hardly use the internal anymore.
    Hope this answers your questions.
    Ken

8. If you're going for boost with bypass I find that the Dimarzio VV's that Tyler use work well. Low noise and they sound more 'vintage' when the boost is bypassed.
    Suhr's can be a bit noisy with the boost.
    Also Duncan Classic Stacks work well with the boost preset system. Personally I'm not a fan of them when they're ran passive.

Steve

9. JPenn

JPenn Member

Do tell!!:)