Tyler midboost questions

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by jero, Jan 25, 2006.

1. jero

jero Member

Hey guys,

I am thinking of ordering a Tyler Classic but I am not sure whether to take the midboost. After searching the forum I understand it’s always on? So, what happens if you take out the battery, is there a normal passive sound or is there no sound at all? And the midboost itself, is it Clapton-esque or a bit more subtle?

Any advice would be highly appreciated, as always…:AOK

2. 6120

6120 Member

I have a Tyler Studio elite with midboost and it has a bypass button, I think that this is an option. I think the bypass switch is a must have. Also I think the guitar is great. The midboost sound can be dialed up or down to control the tone. Great guitars !

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

If you want the mid-boost I recommend getting a bypass button or switch. This will also allow you to preset the boost. If the circuit is installed without a bypass it will not sound if the battery is pulled. The boost can be subtle or not depending on how you set it.

4. matte

matte Senior Member

To my thinking, the mid boost is the equivalent of having channel switching on a guitar. I recommend it.
    [​IMG]

5. jero

jero Member

Thanks guys,

I was looking at a Dann Huff classic, does anybody know whether this one has the bypass button/switch standard installed?

@Matte: that's one stunning guitar man!:RoCkIn

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

My Dan Huff did not but I'm sure Jim can add the bypass if you ask.

7. FastGoKart

FastGoKart Member

The bypass button is key in my opinion. Also, a little goes a long way on the midboost knob! But it clearly adds something special, expecially to cleaner sounds (sparkle baby!!)

Tom

8. matte

matte Senior Member

Thank you. It sounds/plays/feels even "better". Without question my favourite Strat that I've ever played/owned/etc. This guitar covers all the ground that I could ever ask for (from a humble 6 string, no less).

9. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

Get the midboost bypass button. If you get the regular midboost it is always "on" even when dialed down. This way you get both tones, natural (bypassed) and boosted as desired.

10. Merlin

Merlin Supporting Member

I agree. The mid boost just give a second layer of tonal colors to each of the PU combinations and allows you to cover a huge range of stuff in one guitar. Not that that's any excuse for having only one guitar, but if I had to pick just one......

11. matte

matte Senior Member

Whenever I spec out any guitar with a builder, I do my best to swiss army knife it out, without compromising the basic structural integrity of sad guitar.

12. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I was reluctant to add the midboost on my Tyler BW, but after talking to Jim a couple of times, I am glad I took his suggestion.

It really fattens up the single coils, and can give you extra volume in high gain solo mode.

I just ordered my 3rd custom Tyler from Jim and had the mid boost and bypass added as well.

You will not be disappointed.

Matt V.

13. andergtr

andergtr Member

another vote for the midboost. just make sure you get the hard bypass and not the midboost preset button.

john ou

14. nek

nek Member

Under the right conditions, I think mid-boost is a good thing on a strat. If you have a serviceable mid-boost on your pedalboard already, then you may not need one on the guitar, too. On the other hand, mixes of guitars, effects and amps can sometime become a witches brew and sometimes an extra button has a tone payoff. You definitely need the bypass switch. Besides the reasons given already, the midboost/buffer becomes very noisey when connected to a vintage effect which doesn't maintain good input impedance... fuzz face, wah, Wylie Moonrock come to mind.

15. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I have two Tylers both with mid-boost and only one with the preset/ bypass button.

They both sound great, the button is neat though completly unecessary for me, I can just as easily turn the knob up or down as I can hit the button.

With that being said tonally both of my tylers sound great.

The one I have without the bypass is in no way tonally inferior or compromised.

16. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

"midboost/buffer becomes very noisey when connected to a vintage effect which doesn't maintain good input impedance... fuzz face, wah, Wylie Moonrock come to mind."

Good point, I've never had to deal with that.