Tyler, Milkman or Fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by treehouse1441, Mar 7, 2015.

1. treehouse1441

treehouse1441 Member

Princeton Reverb

What does Tyler and Milkman offer that Fender doesn't? Why pay more?

2. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

There's also the Vintage Sound amps too. A guy on here just bought their version of the Princeton. I believe the thread was somewhere on here as of this morning.

MikeVB and rufedges like this.
  3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'd be looking at miller ampwerks for small package goodness myself

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Hand wired, traditional layout. The layout does affect the tone. Try before you buy...

5. BBender

BBender Member

Tyler and Milkman build them old school...point to point handwired, with choice components. I own a Tyler PT-14 head/cab...LOVE IT!

lifeson1 and tga-3 like this.
  6. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

What qualities of an amp are important to you?

* Sound
    * Weight
    * Appearance
    * "Vibe"
    * Price

For example, suppose you can get a excellent Princeton Reverb sound from a $200 solid-state head that weighs 5 pounds, are you interested?

Anyway, here are some other builders to consider:

* Allen
    * Louis Electric
    * Marsh
    * Magic
    * Clark
    * Headstrong

7. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

Bumping this thread - anyone here play a Milkman versus a Fender reissue side-to-side?

jib1945 likes this.
  8. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

I'd like to see a comparison between Vintage Fender and Tyler, but isn't the Milkman a hybrid of Tweed power amp and blackface-ish Preamp?

MikeVB likes this.
  9. spayne99

spayne99 Member

+1 on Vintage Sound Amps. Excellent amp with just the right upgrades, and a price that puts it in a sweet spot between the reissue and vintage or the other boutiques.

Played mine this morning with a Swart Fuzzy Boost. Nice!

10. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I don't think anything Milkman makes is a direct clone.

11. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I've gigged and loved a PT14 for over six years now... Nothing like it, for my ears . John has now built in a fat boost switch as well as a mid boost pot that will also add quite a tonal variety .

I actually introduced Tyler to Golden Age up here in NJ, the ship is only a couple miles from John's shop, and he can tell you straight up that he can't keep the PT in stock.

12. e???

e??? Member

Try a Super Larry if you play a strat.

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

The KT66 Deluxe sounds amazing and the playing great but your website is incredibly frustrating to look as there is no information or pricing available...huge turnoff!!

14. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

Don't forget to consider Allen Amps Sweet Spot .

sutherland likes this.
  15. mscaggs

mscaggs Member

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Now, I don't post prices because I am a custom builder and depending of what you want me to build and the parts we both decide to use will determine the prices. I can proudly say I have never had anything but rave reviews of each and every amp I have built.

Thanks again for the nice comments

buddyrama likes this.
  16. PCalugaru

PCalugaru Member

No... cause if they did they would have are huge issue trying to justify the extra grand your gonna pay... just to say you own a PtP amp.. Wanting the amp for vintage nostalgia reasons is cool and totally different... than wanting one for performance. to say ptp amps always sound better... If you don't do your research...Your going to be disappointed when they don't .. (only a few boutique manufactures make products that are better than the "off the amp" they are trying to clone and its very specific in make and model.. Making something that sounds different is NOT making something that sound better. JUST different.... as in most cases with boutique

don't get duped.. if you do...

Then your going to want to troll places like this to justify why you spent all that money... when Joe lunch bucket kills it with an "off the shelf amp" standing right next to you on stage. (if you gig...and that's a huge "if" because so many who peruse this tone of excellence...spend that $$$ & don't actually play away from their bedroom. If they did.. they would know that the amp is only part of the equation.

Comparing and contrasting side by side without bias...(which few here do.....) your going to find out its hard to beat a team of electrical & audio engineers with a budget to R&D the hell out of an amp before they market it. Joe boutique.. is usually one dude..working out of a shop & depending if he knows his **** or not (usually he's cut his teeth cloning a certain amp) its a crap shoot if his product is as good as the "off the shelf"

I've played Fender.. but I've never played a Milkman.. For all I know its a great amp and worth the $$... but if I spend that kind of money... I'm going to figure out a way of putting them side by side... and the Milkman better be that much better to justify the extra $$$ (something tells me I won't think its worth it)

HonkyBach and Deluzion like this.
  17. TeletoneH137

TeletoneH137 Member

I agree with this.....

Some of these boutique amp prices are obscenely high IMHO (Milkman and Alessandro AZZ to name a few). I would be second and third guessing my purchase because of all the options out there. YMMV

My first hand experience albeit a bit different situation was when the other guitarist in my band started using a $80 solid state Vox pathfinder at gigs. I would have never thought possible what that type of low cost amp could achieve. Made me rethink things a bit for sure....

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    PCalugaru and MikeVB like this.
  18. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

But they're certainly very derivative and not at all original combinations from things I've read. Seems like they're just the latest, hottest boutique fad amp.

Artisanal Firewood.

PCalugaru likes this.
  19. danbond

danbond Member

"Vintage" ones are usually PTP and usually around the same price or cheaper than some modern high-end copies. And they'll keep their value forever most likely. Some of the newer high-end copies are lovely and beautifully well-made but I'd have a hard time choosing one over a vintage one.

20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Depends on what you mean by original. They most certainly aren't common circuits. He's combined various design elements into what I would consider rather original packages. While some of these combinations have already been explored by other boutique builders, but I would still consider them to be different enough from the standard clones to be rather original. I think they have been discredited and labelled as a "fad" by people who are insulted by the price.

I don't own any of his amps. I do own a Tyler JT46 which is also discussed in this thread and which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. But I certainly wouldn't discredit Milkman as a fad without having first hand knowledge of his work. Speaking with Cliff at DAG, who has access to a ton of boutique amps, he mentioned that the Creamer is his second favorite amp. That says a lot.