Tyler or Suhr?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by G Flat, Nov 23, 2005.

1. G Flat

G Flat Member

Ok, so it's a pretty arbitory question and will ultimately come down to which one feels right, but I'd appreciate some thoughts from anyone with experience of both...

In short, I need to rationalise my collection down to two guitars, so the CU22, Anderson Cobra and a couple of others are going leaving me with an Ibanez Artist 335 that I'm irrationally attached to and one other, as yet undecided.

I thought I'd narrowed the search down to a Tyler Studio Elite Burning Water, but noticed that the shop that I'd probably buy from has this Suhr Koa Reb Beach in stock, which I've fallen in love with:

[​IMG]

If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'll give it a go, but does anyone here have any experience with them? I've payed Suhr before and loved them, but felt the Tyler suited me more - think it may have been 'that neck', but I'd be interested in any thoughts before I go and try a few, particularly as it may well have gone by the time I get up to Manchester to try it...

2. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

3. evhfan

evhfan Member

suhr...NO DOUBT ABOUT IT....plus you don't have to deal with that fugly headstock

4. AD

AD Supporting Member

The Tyler has a nice fat neck - I would assume that the Suhr w/ floyd your looking at is a slimmer neck. You may want to confirm neck size.

I have a Tyler Strat and Suhr Tele - The Suhr has a Medium neck which is quite nice and slimmer than the Tyler

5. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

You got to play the guitars. My Suhr strat was the best guitar I'd ever had - I LOVED it. And I hated the Tyler headstock. Then a friend was selling a Tyler classic...I was amazed when I played it, hands down the best strat I've ever played. (Of COURSE I got it.)

Now I don't hate the headstock so much. :)

But it could go the other way for a different person. And it could have gone the other way for me with a different Tyler and a different Suhr.

So you got to play the guitars.

6. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

you got 2 very hot women in a room. you ask yourself, who would be better for you?

me? i would take em both and have a lot of fun.

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

+1000

8. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

I have never played a Tyler, but I do have the agree about the headstock........I hope there is some sort of tonal reason for that because it is UGLY!
    But I have recently acquired a Suhr Classic and it is an amazing guitar. I am really enjoying it. The neck is great, the SS frets are amazing, and the tone is awesome.

9. AD

AD Supporting Member

Keep in mind that you don't look at the headstock when playing (at least i don't) - If it bothers you being seen with an ugly duckling headstock, that's another matter.

Also, it's been pointed out before - the headstock is not that big (I too thought wtf? the first time i saw the Tyler headstock - Once you have one, no big deal - great guitars and i manage to sleep well at night despite the headstock :D )

Note: I also have a Suhr - get both!!

10. FredW

FredW Member

I have a tyler burning water and it has killer tone but the only thing I am not crazy about are the scalloped fretboard edges. My suhr standard definately has better fit and finish to it and is more comfortable to play

11. JPenn

JPenn Member

I actually think it would be cool if James Tyler would a 70's type Studio Elite with a bigger headstock!! Maybe 3 tone with a maple board and a parchment P/G.

If the headstock of the Tyler bugs you then it's definitely not the guitar for you. When you decide you want a Tyler, the headstock kinda adds to the charm of the guitars.

12. Distortion

Distortion Member

My choice would have to be the Suhr.
    Tyler makes a great guitar, but I have to agree with some of the other comments regarding the headstock.
    In a way it is like dating a wonderful woman with an amazing body.
    She can do anything you would ever want, but has the biggest, most god awful nose on the planet.
    You try your best to ignore it, but no matter how hard you try it still sticks out like a sore thumb..

But of course this is just my opinion :D

13. MOJO

MOJO Member

My feelings exactly..the headstock just kills it for me

14. Joe Gamble

Joe Gamble Member

Hahaha... I was on a session a couple weeks ago playing my Tyler. I returned a couple days later for overdubs with my Fender in tow and the artist told me he liked the Fender much better because the "other guitar" (Tyler) looked "industrial" and the top "headstock" was ugly:p This guy is a regular on the smooth jazz charts.

You can't go wrong with either one. Generally I've noticed Tyler's to be a bit fatter sounding with Suhr's having a tighter glassier thing going on. Suhr's are "perfect" guitars in the sense that it's damn near impossible to find any flaw with them. Tyler's have a little more of the "hand made" vibe. Both are as good as the modern strat thing gets IMO.:dude

15. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

You can't go wrong with either one. Generally I've noticed Tyler's to be a bit fatter sounding with Suhr's having a tighter glassier thing going on. Suhr's are "perfect" guitars in the sense that it's damn near impossible to find any flaw with them. Tyler's have a little more of the "hand made" vibe. Both are as good as the modern strat thing gets IMO.:dude [/B][/QUOTE]

Have to agree here......I have had many Suhrs....they are consistently great guitars....but I now have two Tylers and for me they are the best.....In my opinion the Suhrs are easier to play- but the Tylers reward you for technique and have a bigger sound.....but you cant go wrong with either.....its just which does it for you

16. KLB

KLB Member

Real beauty is more than skin deep.

17. Dizzie

Dizzie Member

Kind of surprising how the Tyler headstock is such a factor.

BTW - someone posted a pic of the old Kramer headstock and you can say it is almost identical to the the Suhr. Just waiting for a chance to say nice Kramer you got there to someone !! :p

I've only used and owned a couple Suhr Classics so I have a rather limited view of the Suhr offerrings. I'll say that they are probably one of the best made and sounding strat-type guitars out there. When I need a "strat" sound, I always go for the Suhr. The V60 pickups are a favorite too. Never liked any of his humbuckers though. Suhr offers a lot of options too so it's hard not to find a Suhr you'll like. Suhr has his own forum and they respond fairly quickly to all sorts of questions.

For everything not vintage strat stuff, I reach for my Tylers. With the lead circuit, I can cover virtually everything with 1 guitar. I haven't found a fit or finish problem with my Tylers. But I have seen a few issues with the neck pocket. The pocket is very tight and after years of taking off the neck to access the truss rod, you may get some cracking/chipping in the area. Tyler has been pretty inflexible as to options/custom jobs. Tip: you may get better service going through a Tyler dealer rather than directly with the Van Nuys shop.

And if you think the Tyler headstock influences people...you should show up to a gig with a psychedelic vomit or burning water finish.

Since you looking at the Reb Beach and not a Suhr Classic, you may want to consider Tom Anderson. A little more aggressive sounding but also very good guitars. The Anderson site has a very nice koa Drop Top somewhere.

18. FUSER

FUSER Member

Totally non interested (basically not able to afford) party.
    I like both headstocks. I actually love the tyler headstock.

19. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

+1 The Tyler headstock is great.

20. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I've found the Suhrs to be too glassy and stiff playing vs. the Tylers I've owned. I think the headstock is beautiful as long as you get a cool color....wtih a sunburst it's odd looking because you're not expecting to see that.