Tyler Question

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by GM1, Aug 3, 2006.

1. GM1

GM1 Member

I have been considering a Tyler as my next Strat style guitar. I am also considering a departure, which is a humbucking pup in the bridge instead of the traditional three single coil set up which is what all of my guitars have. My question, every time I have played a Strat set up with a humbucker and two singles, the balance of the pups is quite different. The bridge is always considerably louder than the middle or the front and generally when I set my amp for a good bridge tone, the middle and neck suffer. My experience is limited with humbucking pups in general. I was hoping to get some comments and advice on how well Tyler Strats with the humbucking/single/single are balanced.

2. JPenn

JPenn Member

They are well balanced. The Trembucker/JB Tyler uses is a very balanced pup. I have no experience with other JB's, I have read on posting boards most people feel the Tyler Trembucker is an underwound JB.

One thing I am going to change on my guitar is the wiring. The tone controls work with the singles, but not the bridge. I like backing the tone off for a smoother bridge tone on certain songs.

EDIT: I just noticed where you are located. I would call Tyler and see if it was OK to drop by their shop since you're so close.

3. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

I have a Landau Classic that came stock with 2 JTV singles and a "special" Landau Humbucker (Duncan). The controls were normal strat like - no tone control for the bucker.

I ended up slapping in 2 Suhr V60LPs and a Suhr DSV bucker instead. I also changed the controls so that 1 tone pot works for all 3 pups and the other is a blend pot for the neck and bridge. This is much more versatile IMO.

Pickups aside, the Tyler is an incredible player. Very resonant and hands down BEST feeling strat neck I've played.

4. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I own two Tyler models. One Classic, one Studio Elite. The SE is really cool, well balanced between the pickups, while the Classic with a bucker in the bridge position didn´t work for me. Luckily I also received a 2nd pickguard and the original bridge singlecoil when buying the Classic, so I went with three singles. It´s a way better guitar now IMHO.

5. moozak

moozak Silver Supporting Member

actually, i've always felt the same way so i could probably learn a lot reading the reponses to this thread. you gotta love this place! that's why i like hanging out here.

6. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I have a trembucker in the bridge of my Landau Classic. The volume levels work fine with my classic stack single coils. I highly recommend it. Tylers are crafted with the musician in mind.

7. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I have a Yellow Schmear Tyler Classic with two Suhr V60LPs and the Landau humbucker in the bridge and usually the 4th position never sounds right (bridge/middle). This is the first one i've ever had that sounds correct with the humbucker and single coil in that position. Mike Landau must have sat down with them a long time to get it right.

8. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Looks like I am in the minority here preferring three Singlecoils in my Tyler.

But it´s true, the split sound in pos.4 was already very good in my Classic too. My only complaint was the full bridge humbucker. It was just too loud,too muddy and I need a little twang-factor in any bridge-pickup for those Johnson-esque chords that I love to play around with. The bridge pup was a TB4, btw....

9. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

Berlin Chris!! I'm really glad that you're enjoying that white classic! Sorry i've been MIA for a while. Been trying to keep myself busy gigging... gotta pay the bills.

As for possibly ordering a tyler, there is no doubt about it... GET ONE!!!! Not only does a tyler sound amazing, but hey, if you ever decide to sell, it's one of those guitars that will always hold its value.

Pickup balance has been thought of in the design of the guitar. I've had numerous tylers and none has been disappointing. If you order one, get the V60LPs and a Landau humbucker and you'll be set. The standard trembucker is great too! If you like a single coil sound but with the bigness (if that's a word) of a humbucker, get the Landau.

With my current set up, i got a V60LP in the bridge, Tyler spec middle and the landau humbucker... i'm considering getting the Suhr Backplate.... That is the best combo!

Good Luck!

10. empty71

empty71 Member

I'd tried a couple of Tylers Classic and SE models before purchasing my Tyler Classic with 3 V60s. I prefer the tone and look of a 3 single coil guitar.

Incidentally, I understand from John Suhr the Tyler V60s are not stock V60s. The polarity and wind directions are different from the stock V60s.

It takes a bit of tweaking for most SSH guitars to sound balanced. Having said that, if I were to go with a SSH, my choice wuld be V60LP, V60LP and SSV.

11. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I think you can strike a very good balance on a Tyler Strat.

I have 4, and do not have a balance issue with any of them.

I would recommend the new Tyler JTV singles with a mid power humbucker like the Landau Secret Humbucker.

Jim is currently working on his own line of humbuckers so you may want to hang in there.

Matt