Tyler SE single coils question

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Urkoman, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Hi all ;)
    I have to say i love my Studio Elite, but my only complain are the Tyler custom single coils on her. They don`t sound bad but have that high trebble i don`t like at all, same as the Anderson pickups on Drop Tops and DT classics.
    So, i was going to change them for some Fralins or Suhrs, but the question is on the switching system, i mean, mine is the one with the "switcheroo". I`ve recently opened it and the pups have two wires, and the hum cancelling is made with two "dummy coils".
    I suppose any two wire single coil would work ok, the same way as now, but i ask myself if the position that uses the dummies would work properly with pickups that are not prepared for that.
    Anyone tried it?

Well, another quick question, aren`t SE supposed to be 12" radius with big 59 profile and medium jumbos? I ask because mine is a little thinner (like a classic) with a 10" radius and jumbos...maybe because it is birdseye maple? Should not mind :confused: Same on the color, it`s kind of a mix between a hazmat and a red shmear, not like the regular ones

2. nek

nek Member

Sounds like your guitar had the Duncan virtual vintage pickups installed. Suhr makes a custom single coil pickup for Tyler. Noisey, but sweet. The coils split correctly when combined with the Duncan trembucker bridge pickup. Give Tyler a call.

3. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

No, it does not have the VV´s, has the Tyler made ones with 3 position switches for every pickup. I mean this ones:
    [​IMG]

4. dktracer

dktracer Member

Thats my guitar!!! :dude

5. nek

nek Member

I guess I didn't understand what was meant by dummy coils. This is possibly a feature of the SE model guitar? I have Tyler PsyVom and I sort of assumed they would be more the same than different. Mine came with Duncan VV's in the neck and middle position which consist of two single coils stacked on top of each other. These were replaced with the single coil pickups that look like Suhr v60's except the magnet stagger is different and the logo says Tyler. If you have the second type already and they are still too bright, I don't know what to say other than consider moving the pickups further away from the strings or picking more softly.

6. Graham Sloan

Graham Sloan Member

Mine has the SD classic stacks and a michael landau HB, with three mini switches, one for each PU. :)

7. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

Hey dktracer..............my brother played your guit b4 you bought it. He was blown away by the tones and feel. Congrats....

CF

8. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

This ones i suppose are the second ones you mean, but no Tyler logo on them. About the dummies, on this SE or the one on the photo if you remove the pickguard there are SIX pickups: there are the two single coils you see and another two placed between them (the Dummies) solded with a metallic part on pairs, one dummie-one real coil , they only work with the switch on the lower of the three positions of the pickup.
    Also, the humbucker is quite funny: it´s not a real hum, but two singles mounted on a metallic plate (they´re on different positions, that´s why the hum is not straight, but poles are.
    On Graham´s, there are three switches also, but with two positions in spite of three, am i right?, it´s the same like in the Dann Huff model, which has the same pups.

Hope i explained it well, my technical vocabulary in english is not the best in the world... ;)

9. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

That may be a key point, i´m guilty, i love funky rythms :Devil: :Devil:

10. dktracer

dktracer Member

So I'm curious as to what other p/u's can you put in the guitar that can still take advantage of the 3 way toggle?

11. MikeP

MikeP Member

Does this mean the Tyler has a swimming pool type route under the gaurd then?
    If so are all Tylers routed this way? Just curious
    Thanks

12. John C

John C Supporting Member

I never looked under the hood of the Tyler I had last year; of course it was just a Psychadelic Vomit with the standard Duncan pickups (2 Classic Stacks and a JBjr.). However, I did find the picture on the Tyler Shop Tour on his website - it's kind of a 2/3 swimming pool route with a bridge humbucker route:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the fat neck on the my Tyler aggravated my left-hand tendonitis issue, so she had to go even though that was the perfect rock strat - Hendrix, Gilmour, Blackmore and early EVH were there in spades. I was afraid that shaving the neck would kill what made the guitar special, so it moved on.

13. nek

nek Member

Funny, that fat neck saved my career (humble as it is). There was a time when I lost the strength in my left hand. The thick neck made it easier to pinch the strings down on the frets between my left thumb and fingers.

14. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

I think that´s correct, not sure but i think all of them (strat shaped) have the pool

15. John C

John C Supporting Member

nek - I'm no thin neck fan either; unfortunately the Tyler neck was just a hair too fat. My tendonitis problem is in the crook where my thumb joins my left hand. I'm left handed and have small hands. Evidently the handwriting "form" I developed to pass penmanship back in the '70s (do they even teach that any more?) puts stress on the joint. A fender bender where I was the in the middle of a 3 car accordion that jammed that hand into the steering wheel in the mid-80s didn't help either. It has just gotten worse over the years.

I'm playing an EBMM Silhouette Special these days - I would call the neck medium; it's similar to a Grosh medium roundback but the Grosh is a touch flatter of a "C". I also like the EBMM Axis neck, which is also asymetrical like the Tyler but is a "medium" to the Tyler's "large".