Tyler vs. Joe Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mude, Jun 18, 2008.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

I have been a fan of Tyler guitars for a long time and have owned several over the years. I love the creativity of the paint jobs, etc. and feel that the good ones are spectacular. That being said, they are not cheap of course.

So, I was curious when the rumors of Joe Guitars started swirling suggesting that Tyler was building a secret brand for the Japanese market. A combination of Mr. Tyler's sense of humor and his guitar design/building skills.

Curiousity got the best of me and I picked up a Joe "Black." I definitely did not need it as I already have a HSS guitar that has been one of my main guitars for quite a while, and I generally don't duplicate similar feature guitars. I figured I would check it out for fun and comparison and then sell/trade it.

I have had enough time with it to provide some basic thoughts. Absolutely great guitar IMO. There are some subtle differences compared to a standard Tyler. Slightly flatter radius, very slightly smaller neck, "built in America by assholes" written on the headstock, body wood combination, no backplate for the trem cavity, etc.

I must admit that it is probably my favorite playing Tyler (Joe) that I have ever played. It very resonant, sustains really well, trem is smooth and works great, stays in tune, and the playability is at least as good as any Tyler I have played. His own PUPs in it sound great. Just a really great example of his same design without some of the fancy paint, etc.

For me, I have not found Tyler's to be quite as consistent as some of the other best-of-the-best, but a good Tyler is among the best guitars I have ever played and I feel that this is right there.

Obviously, these are pretty rare (particularly in the US), but try one if you ever get the chance. While I have only played this one, it is pretty special. Again, this is something I expected to enjoy briefly and trade/sell, but now has me looking at what else to sell instead. It deeply overlaps with another guitar that is an old favorite for me, but just not ready to part with this yet.

Great job Mr. Tyler. You have added some humor and personality to an already great design. Thanks.

Evan.

2. pass it

pass it Member

Does anyone know how much longer Tyler is going to take orders on his guitar (including the joe-x models) and what the wait time is on one? Thanks.

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Jim is having some really, really cool things coming down the pipe regarding the Joe Guitars and Tyler Guitars!!!

Current build time on a customer Tyler is about 6 months right now. I ordered one in January and got it in May. Joe Guitar I'm not sure...

Love mine!!

[​IMG]

4. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

I am also the fan of Tyler guitar...owned a Tyler Studio Elite HD for 2 years and get the JOE Black recently..

Like Evan said, JOE guitar sounds really nice...all the features and parts is top notch.... JOE guitar has the Tyler guitar vibe in it...But its not exactly like a Tyler guitar..

Here is my JOE Black (changed the pu cover myself)
    [​IMG]

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

I agree that it is not exactly like a Tyler, but I don't mean that as a good/bad thing. There are just some subtle differences. But, as someone that really likes Tylers, I really like his take with the Joe. In this particular case, I like it as least as much as any Tyler that I have had. Acoustically, it is great. It is a punchy beast, yet it is really resonant, warm and sings.

Some guitars just feel/sound good to me when you first pick them up. This was one of those for me. Some minor tweaking to my liking and it was good to go for me.

Evan.

6. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Agree. Evan

Acoustically, JOE guitar is great..very punchy...resonant and sings. However, I would like to pur a covered pickup on this monster and see how it sound. :dude

7. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

Joe is cool and has a great sense of humor. I like his guitars, too...

[​IMG]

8. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

They are definitely Tyler-esque but different enough to stand on their own merit.

The neck is not the classic '59 Tyler backshape but more closely resembles the thinner Tyler neck on my Classic. The bridge is amazing and the guitar resonates like nothing else.

The Joe Guitars scream rock and roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  9. KennethC

KennethC Member

Brian, where did you get your Joe from, if I may?

10. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

I get the guitar from the man himself:dude

11. smalahove

smalahove Member

Can you enlighten us? If not, how long's the cat going to be in the bag? ;-)

12. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I think he'd have to kill ya. :tapedshut

13. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I'm not about to steal Jim's thunder, so the cat will remain in the bag for about 2-3 months.

14. Dizzie

Dizzie Member

Is there a reason why there are 2 different names/logos in the pic in post#7???

the grey one is JOE GUITAR
    the black one is JOE-X GUITARWORKS

15. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Yes. There was a copyright conflict,

Matt

16. mude

mude Supporting Member

Is the Joe bridge the same bridge that Tyler is using on his current build Tyler guitars?

Evan.

17. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

No. They are different.

Its Gotoh bridge on JOE guitar...and Hipshot or Wilkinson on Tyler guitar

18. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I belive he's using Gotoh 510's for trem and Hipshot for saddles on Tylers.

He used Gotoh/Wilkinon VS's before.

19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I'm confused, are Tylers and Joe Guitars all made by Tyler?

20. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Yes..Gotoh trem and hipshot saddle.