Type of frets on vintage sg's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wcraven, Jan 2, 2008.

1. wcraven

wcraven Member

I'm trying to find out some information on the type of frets on my 74 sg standard. They seem extremely wide with a low profile. It is by far my favorite guitar and I'm trying to find something that plays like it. Ebony fretboard if that hepls. Any info is helpful thanks.

2. wcraven

wcraven Member

Still no luck?

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Why not just pick up a bunch of guitars at a shop and find one with frets you like? A new guitar will likely specify the frets if you care that much you can then look for guitars that have that particular fret model, although going by feel is probably good enough. Start with the shredder style guitars, stay away from anything with the word "vintage" in the description. Unless you're the only owner of that '74, and congrats if you are, the previous owner could have done anything to it. Just ask for jumbo frets and you'll be well on your way... I have a hard time finding anything other than Jumbos when I go looking:mad:

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey WCraven -

Any luthier can measure the actual width of the frets that are in the guitar, and from that measurement they can 'back into' the fret height to a large degree.

I personally think you'd get some benefits from a slightly taller fret wire, like a 6105 which is medium width and tall. My most comfortable guitar has 6105's knocked down a bit on the height, so they don't feel like 'speed bumbs' as I go up and down the neck.

Anyhow, most good refret folks have catalogs about which fretwire the big guys (ie Fender and Gibson in electrics) used during which year. You'll generally find that they're medium width and medium height in Gibsons from the '70's. I don't know the specs off the top of my head, but the fretwire for a stock Gibson feel is common and easy to come by.

Try emailing Fret Tech or Phil Jacoby - they'd know. What's your location?

Hope this helps, Dana O.

5. wcraven

wcraven Member

Right now Im on the South Carolina coast and a good hour and a half from any decent guitar shops. In a perfect world I could play many guitars until I found one that felt the same. I was always jealous of people who said "yeah I played a hundred guitars before I found this one" It's just not possible gigging all the time and being broke, but Im preaching to the choir here.

6. Stubee

Stubee Member

To yer question: Gibson has used all kinds of frets over the years, like pretty low/skinny ones in the '50s to what we'd call "jumbo" or at least ""medium jumbo" frets in the '60s, to the "fretless wonder" of the Les Paul Customs of long ago. The last were, if memory serves me, as you describe: fairly wide and very, very low/flat. They do provide a smooth feel, can be kinda tough for bending & stuff maybe.

If your SG is original, you should be able to find out what frets they used on it with some internet research. I'd guess they are "medium jumbos" that have been played enough to be fret dressed several times, thus "low profile".

You can also do some research on the web on fret sizes from various sources that will show views & measurements of different types of frets, maybe could be helpful. Or perhaps take some good pics of your neck & frets, with a ruler in the picture, contact a good shop or two and ask their opinion.

Hope this helps a bit.

7. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    "Life is too short to play on small frets!"