Typical LP tone?

M

Member 20177

Well I got the 91' LP Studio back for a further trial. The picked notes are very clear and articulate on this guitar. My Standard on the other side produces a little softer fuzzier note, more like my PRS. BB Pros in the Standard.. 490r/498t in the Studio. Which would be the stereotypical LP sound?

Tim Plains

I wouldn't call either set stereotypical for the LP sound because I don't like those in a Les Paul. The stereotypical newer Les Paul sound, for me, would be 57 Classics or Burstbuckers (not Pros).

But of those two, I would go with the 490/498 since they have been around for a long, long while (early 90s?) and have been used in Customs, Standards, and Studios. BB Pros came out in (I think) 2003.

BADHAK

My 02 LP Std + has BB Pro's and I reckon they rock, especially the bridge. Great hard rock tone....chewy mids, chimey but sweet highs, and a low end that compresses beautifully under some gain. Neck sounds great for solos, but the cleans are abit average. Much prefer them to any Burstbuckers 1&2 ive tried.

However, I have Pearly Gates in a 06 Faded LP Special and I reckon they are closer to the typical LP PAF tone.

Had 490 498s in a SG Std and I thought they were good pickups, if a bit dark.

For me this is the essence of great Les Paul tone with original PAFs and a driven Marshall. Solo from 1:25:

Last edited:

TCMx3

I wouldn't call either set stereotypical for the LP sound because I don't like those in a Les Paul. The stereotypical newer Les Paul sound, for me, would be 57 Classics or Burstbuckers (not Pros).

But of those two, I would go with the 490/498 since they have been around for a long, long while (early 90s?) and have been used in Customs, Standards, and Studios. BB Pros came out in (I think) 2003.

agree on the first. I HATE the 490/498 pair though.

57 classics are good, but still don't quite capture it for me. I think most of the boutique guys do though. I especially like my set of Wizz.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom