U-67 mics...anyone use them? easy to find/still made?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bolero, Oct 12, 2004.

1. bolero

bolero Member

anybody here use these for miking gtr amps?

are they easy to come by/still mfr'd?

or have they gone the way of the AVH?

thx!

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

They're no longer made. They're used a lot in broadcasting. I never miked a guitar cab with one.

Buyer beware when it comes to "vintage" mics. They're fragile and you have no idea how little or how much they've been abused. There are reputable dealers who specialize in them, but I don't know any.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

The going rate on them is $3600 - $4500, depending on condition.

They aren't terribly hard to find. If you use one on a guitar cab, you're a braver man than I!

I know they were produced from the mid sixties onward for years, and if I recall, were replaced by the U87 transistor mics.

They look a lot like an 87. They sound great, if you find one in excellent electrical condition, and that's the problem. Most of the capsules and electronics need serious restoration.

4. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Getting one restored by someone who knows what they are doing will cost you some good money as well.

5. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Don't laugh, but I think the Studio Projects T3 is basically a replica of a U67.

The part you aren't supposed to laugh about is that the consensus is that these mics sound superb, and they are really cheap. Superb in the sense that they hold their own against the originals.

Get one of those and sink your money into mic pres like Great River, etc...

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Well, I'd be the first to agree that if you have a great mic already, regardless of how much you paid for it, the next step is a great preamp.

However, I also feel that you are going to hear the differences between mics a whole lot more than you will between preamps, so if you're not 100% happy with a mic, look at mics and not preamps.

7. bolero

bolero Member

interesting, thx ofr the info guys!!

:dude

8. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I own a U67 Tube, serial # 00263. Bought it in 1992 for.... $100 :eek: :D

I use it on guitar cabs, but for distance-miking only. It is my absolute favorite vocal/acoustic instrument mic... its just SO sweet and airy :)

9. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    Send me some of that purchase kharma!!!

Great mic when you find one in good condition. Used 'em on drum overheads, guitar cabs (about 18" away), vocals, piano, ac bass, love 'em

100 bucks!!!! sheeeeeshh amazing, even in '92, radio station?

10. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Nope! Was sitting in Power Play Studios, NYC, doing a late night session by myself... about 10:30pm the buzzer rings...

"who is it"
    "I'm selling a microphone..."

I let the guy in - he's a middle-aged dark-skinned guy, he's got a small travel bag with him. I open the bag, the 1st thing i see is the power supply... long story short, i hooked the mic up, tested it, listened.. sounds great.

"How much are you asking?"
    "How much you got?"

i had 5 twenties in my wallet, and he TOOK IT!!! I felt so guilty that i called Steven Paul and Klaus at Neumann to see if the mic was hot... and it WASNT! :)

I've recorded SO many great artists with that mic since! Santana, G Love, Helmet, a whole bunch of rappers, Ozomatli.. it sounds good on EVERYONE! :)

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Great. Eliyahu was in NYC in 1992 and I missed it.

12. stratofied

stratofied Member

Check out the Soundelux U99B.