U Shaped Necks vs C Shaped Necks?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GarMan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Been playing C shaped profiles for most of my life. Recently, I picked up a guitar with a U profile. I know some of the Strats from the 70s had this profile. The profile didn't seem too foreign to me, and the profile seem to fit my hand nicely.

Anyone know the history of the U profile, and why they came to be (Fender)? Anyone prefer them over the C profile? Any advantages/disadvantages to the U profile?

Thanks!!

2. Defendant

Defendant Member

I like a fat U profile. Generally fat U profiles have a narrow nut width, especially 70s fenders. There's a lot of variance in 70s fenders as the QC was terrible then. I wonder if the fatter U necks existed mostly because the workers at the time did a minimum of carving.

One U neck with a slightly wider nut width is the MIJ Fender Richie Kotzen telecaster. Great neck.

3. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

G.E. Smith Tele has a great deep U shape.

4. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

I agree that the GE Smith model has a nice, large U shaped neck. From what I have seen it is the largest non-custom shop Fender telecaster neck. (With a custom shop nocaster having a slightly larger neck.) The old 62 AVRI Hot Rod Stratocaster had a nice chunky neck too.

I like a larger neck such as on a Nocaster or an R8, but I find that I can get used to nearly anything if the guitar is set up well and is otherwise a joy to play. I've been playing my 62 AVRI Stratocaster a lot the past few weeks and the neck is skinny but I just get used to it.

5. chucke99

chucke99 Member

People ask me this about my guitars all the time. "What's the neck shape? C? U? D?" And I have no f'ing idea what to say.

Is there a chart somewhere with cross-sections to compare the shapes? To me, they're all just "rounded".

6. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

[​IMG]

In my experience these are more like a rule of thumb - I've owned necks that conformed to these shapes and others I wouldn't know how to describe. "rounded" is as good a descripton as any :D

I like a sizeable neck but it's the sum of the parts (nut width, neck shape, radius etc) that make up the feel for me rather than any one attribute

7. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Thanks for that chart, Joe. It appears I'm a "C" neck man, as most of my best guitars are Ibanez vintages (Artists, Musician) and newer Artcores.

8. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Chasing the U since I played a real 53 tele.

9. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Schecter strat has a nice u. Mine is California made 97.

10. Rideski

Rideski Member

I have a Nocaster which has a huge U neck. It's awesome! A full handful but plays like butter.
    I also like the Large C neck on my 2007 62 AVRI Strat Hotrod. Unfortunately I sold it and now have two strats with the Soft V shape which is also a great feeling neck.